iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ax Men Show

Started by rvolek, January 14, 2013, 12:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rvolek

Hi All,  I started watching this show way back when it first came on tv. I found it very educational beacause I never seen that process of logging done before. With the yarder and skyline and such. But as the years went by, I find myself watching less and less. To the point where I get so irritated to watch for about 15 min. Mainly due to all the fighting, arguing, and every other word there is a "beep". Is this truly the way these operations are run? Or is this show portraying a bad image for logging out fits?
74 Timberjack 230D
JD 450 Dozer
Husky 570, 372

CTL logger

Can't stand the show it's all staged B.S. I was changing channels last night and happened upon it as the boat they were towing flips over it seems funny just happens to be a camera on the tailgate for of truck to capture the whole thing. The crews who agree to do the show IMO must be real losers, I would' by let any TV producer make me act like a moron, I'd quit the show before put someone's or my own life in jeopardy. A friend of mine talked to Bobby Goodson at a logging show and he said he had to quit doing it because the producers wanted him and Justin to act like the motorcycle show father and son, he said no so they said goodbye I thought that was a pretty honest show but in 2013 honesty, hardwork and integrity don't sell.

loggah

There a bunch of idiots giving loggers a bad name !!!! and i'm sure most of it is just for the "SHOW"   If i ever had employees like some of them they would be down the road so fast they would never even know they went to work !!! On another note Mike Pihl  of  Pihl logging that used to be on axemen ,has worked getting donkey engines and other logging artifacts out of the woods for logging museums. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

WH_Conley

Staged BS. I watched too, when it first came on. Can't stand it now.
Bill

Jeff

There are plenty of anti-axmen topics on the forum. I should probably find one to merge this one with.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

rvolek

I figured there would have been other posts somewhere on the site about this show. I guess I'm not the only non-supporter of it. I did enjoy the Swamp Logger and American Logger Series quite a bit. Your right about hard work and ethics are tossed out the window these days. All about the drama!! Gotta love this American Ride!!
74 Timberjack 230D
JD 450 Dozer
Husky 570, 372

coxy

cant agree more with every one get it of T.V

Magicman

It was educational to a point with me because I had no idea how lines were set and the equipment needed to harvest trees in that rugged terrain.  Beyond that, it became "cussin n draggin".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jay C. White Cloud

Hello All,

I'm not, nor have I ever been what I would call a professional logger,  I can teach the rigging, and many of the techniques, so over the years I have met many.  In general a fine group of courageous, hardworking and often spiritually enlightened group of folks.  This show, and the History channel in general, has lost sight of there educational mission/mandate and has turned "Ax Men," into commercialized nonsense.

I have had consulting run ins with the History Channel twice in the last three years.  The first as a tech. consultant for Mountain Men, (way worse that Ax Men IMO,) and then for a new show, I pray they do not produce called, "Barn Again."  When they gave us the read-in outline of the show it was horrible and not worth going into detail, other than to say "extreme hype."

Regards,  jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

MReinemann

IMO I give a-lot of credit to Bobby Goodson for not giving into the history channel b.s.  All their shows now are more about the drama than what actually goes on.  I loved swamp loggers and just watching the equipment on t.v.  Axe men is all staged...       Just my 2 cents.
-Matt

lumberjack48

Its just another TV show, other wise don't you think Osha would be out there.

I didn't watch it for awhile, because i thought it was based on how we operate. Now that i know its just another TV show based on drama, i have to watch it every week to see whats going to happen next.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

lynde37avery

ive allways wanted to see a real modern day logging documentary show. cable skidder loggers like the way ive learned. and horse teams and oxen. maybe a few mechanized crews to show. but none of that yarder junk. its boring and the show is definatly staged.
Detroit WHAT?

semologger

i havent watched it in years also to much drama. The aqau logger didnt look like he was doing to good. He had gall bladder cancer right?

colincb183

The other week a processor operator swung a tree around and hit the guy pulling chokers, "on purpose". Then they turned it around and made the guy that got hit by the tree the bad guy. If thats not B.S. I don't know what is.

Corley5

I used to defend the non sense as entertainment.  Now I can't watch it
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

deastman

Quote from: semologger on January 14, 2013, 08:06:13 PM
i havent watched it in years also to much drama. The aqau logger didnt look like he was doing to good. He had gall bladder cancer right?
The aqua logger did pass away from cancer
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

CTL logger

There are so many "Real loggers" all over the country why don't they go to different operations and show them. Not a bunch of morons in swamps playing it up for the camera the fan page is nothing but comment after comment about how Shelby's the best and needs his own show give him one that would be an improvement. ;D

sparky

Ax Men is supposed to be a "reality" show. My friend's son is a student at a college campus where they filmed a reality show. He knew one of the people in the show. Prior to the start of filming, she was given a "shopping list" of stunts she could do to earn extra cash. If she drank enough to get sick, she got $1000. There were other dollar figures for other stunts. The end result of any show like that would be far from real reality. I bet that the players in Ax Men get $X for each cuss word they spout, and for fights, etc.! I quit watching a long time ago.  Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

terry f

I get dumber with each episode, but I'll still watch it next sunday. Can't take the idiots down south, but when they cut to the northwest you might see some big trees and scenery. To bad about Jimmy Smith.

deastman

It's too bad that a show like Ax Men is kept on tv and real shows like Swamp Loggers and American Loggers get canceled. The Goodson's and the Pelletier's are hard working and down to earth and really represent what logging is all about. Miss watchin the Pelletiers and those massive loads they haul on the Golden Road!
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

thecfarm

No drama in the Goodson and Pelletier shows. I will never forget on the Pelletier show,something happened and the truck had to be reloaded,logs was on the other side of the truck and the loader could not really see on the other side. He pinched the tire on the logging truck. No cuss words at all. The driver and the loader man changed the tire in a nice civil way. This was at winter temps too,right beside the road.
I really did enjoy the Ax Man show the first year. Very educational for someone that has never seen west coast logging. I learned alot and was able to understand what some of the equipment was used for and why.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jdonovan

Quote from: deastman on January 15, 2013, 08:28:29 AM
It's too bad that a show like Ax Men is kept on tv and real shows like Swamp Loggers and American Loggers get canceled. The Goodson's and the Pelletier's are hard working and down to earth and really represent what logging is all about.

not much drama with people with a good work ethic, and a friendly disposition. Make for a good boss, and co-worker, but bad tv.

Jay C. White Cloud

Say's something about ignorant tv producers and the audience they want to target.  I've tried to explain what many of us want to watch.  The general response, watch public broadcasting, because our advertisers want drama.  It's why I don't watch tv.  Wish more Americans would stop, it might send a message to the industry.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

coxy

deastman u are wright i forgot about swamp loggers and american loggers thay were down to earth i liked whene the drive went out of the cutter of swamp logger thay draind the oil one the ground and filled it with cup grease thats me but not draining the oil on the ground D.E.C here in ny would have a field day with that

clww

I, too enjoyed "Ax Men" the first two years, but not after. Too much made-up crap and turmoil. As I previously wrote on some other thread awhile back, "Swamp Loggers" wasn't renewed because the producers wanted extra drama added/invented for ratings. As if the show wasn't interesting enough?!? Bobby told them NO Way! See you later TV film crews. I applaud his decision.
My favorite reality show? "Duck Dynasty".
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

gjersy

Yes, I agree the drama and fakeness on Axe-men is why i quit watching also. I only have Netflix and get the older seasons, I like American Loggers and Swamp Loggers, and didn't know they were cancelled, to bad. Oh well the fam will be happy as they complain that i watch it to much. :-\
If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.

shortlogger

"Duck Dynasty" is a big hit here in my home town you hear people talking about it everywhere you go, I admit some of the goofy stuff they do might be staged but I don't think it's anything they wouldn't do for real if the situation came up . And the best thing about them is they do it all while maintaining their Christian morals and values , No cursing or crazy drama .
HEY JACK IT'S FUNNY !!!!
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Kemper

I liked swamp loggers a lot, because of all the Tigercat stuff, but American loggers had to be the most boring show on tv. They followed the hauling on the road more than they showed in the woods. I knew that show wasn't going to last.

Quote from: deastman on January 15, 2013, 08:28:29 AM
It's too bad that a show like Ax Men is kept on tv and real shows like Swamp Loggers and American Loggers get canceled. The Goodson's and the Pelletier's are hard working and down to earth and really represent what logging is all about. Miss watchin the Pelletiers and those massive loads they haul on the Golden Road!

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on January 14, 2013, 06:21:57 PM
Hello All,

I'm not, nor have I ever been what I would call a professional logger,  I can teach the rigging, and many of the techniques, so over the years I have met many.  In general a fine group of courageous, hardworking and often spiritually enlightened group of folks.  This show, and the History channel in general, has lost sight of there educational mission/mandate and has turned "Ax Men," into commercialized nonsense.

I have had consulting run ins with the History Channel twice in the last three years.  The first as a tech. consultant for Mountain Men, (way worse that Ax Men IMO,) and then for a new show, I pray they do not produce called, "Barn Again."  When they gave us the read-in outline of the show it was horrible and not worth going into detail, other than to say "extreme hype."

Regards,  jay

I wonder if "Barn Again" was the show that the History Channel was working on when they were in my area last fall. A friend of mine was working with them to look at his barns, and they were getting ready to come to my shop, but something got canceled or pushed back. I don't think History should be hyped. >:(
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

rooster 58

Unfortunately, hard work andthe "real" reality doesn't sell. I still watch only to see the logging ops out west. But it's getting harder and harder because of the b.s.
Although Shelby is funny it's just more b.s. the only thing I saw the other night was Jimmy's old nemisis stopping to pay him a visit, and afterward commenting about his condition and saying he would say a prayer, if nobody told on him. It was good to see that people do care, even though alot of this fighting is staged. It was good to see the human element reflected in a good way

OlympicYJ

Ax Men is staged. Jimmy Smith had the DNR after him for screwin around in the rivers and Labor and Industries after him for fraud. Things such as pulled tail trees and such are staged. Every now and then one might go, emphasis on the might, but it's not a common occurance. The hook tender is gonna be watching an iffy tail tree and if it isn't gonna hold then it gets twisters, if that doesn't work it's gonna be re hung. I could go all day. Most of the guys on the show from the NW are good loggers it's just staged. Mike Papac is from my neck of the woods and is a good logger. Even Rygards are good loggers but it has hurt them. One large landowner has banned them from their ground because of the show and told their other contractors that if they appear on the show they will no longer be working for them. I've watched American Loggers and Swamp Loggers. They have some drama too. Like the new guy passing an empty on the left or something like that on Swamp Loggers. Out here loaded trucks have the right away and passing is on whichever wide spot there is no matter what side. I suppose it's probably different out East. My point is no show is perfect. Oh and the language can be pretty bad out on th landing and in the brush. Although not quite as bad as on the show and the ongoing bickering between the men is definitely staged. They may have words but things get worked out pretty quickly if ya know what I mean  ;) Anyways theres a little perspective from a guy in the industry from the Left Coast... lol

timberjack 450

I agree with everybody . Swamp loggers and American loggers were realistic to the industry. We had a logger from the northeast meet with the producers of the Ax Men, but he was too boring for the show. Just a hard working crew pumping out the wood,not enough drama. I was wondering if that's why we never see Browning on the show. He seemed like a no bull crap guy.   
90 450 Timberjack, JD 650 G dozer, Hitachi 120 excavator, 2400 morbark chipper, 85 Western star log truck,and a 22-22 Blockbuster processor
Almost forgot, and a very patient woman

jd540b

A buddy of mine was at the logging expo and heard the Pelletiers didn't want to do the show anymore because it cost them a lot of money messing around with the cameras, shots, camera crews, etc.  I thought they got paid to do the show but I guess not.

OlympicYJ

Quote from: timberjack 450 on January 20, 2013, 06:32:42 AM
I agree with everybody . Swamp loggers and American loggers were realistic to the industry. We had a logger from the northeast meet with the producers of the Ax Men, but he was too boring for the show. Just a hard working crew pumping out the wood,not enough drama. I was wondering if that's why we never see Browning on the show. He seemed like a no bull crap guy.

That and he caught alot of criticism within the industry (fellow loggers) and I think he backed out to try and salvage his reputation. The production hit was probably a factor too. Good chance the landowners he worked for put pressure on to drop the show too.

Mooseherder

I think they got paid in notoriety which got them a few Dodge truck commercials.
The funny part was they were all driving GMCs before that.  It also gave them new business opportunities.
They are definitely celebrities in northern Maine.  It won't be as easy landing national commercials being off screen.
I met Gary Pelletier at a store/restaurant called Martin's in Sinclair, Maine.  It is a pit stop off the ATV trail.
We had stopped for lunch and his group had stopped for fuel.  Someone in our group knew him and introduced us.  Seemed like a very nice guy.
Having cameras in your face all the time must really get on your nerves.  You could see tension building the last season.  They weren't as easy going as they were in the beginning.  I bet we'll see them again at some point.

Tree Killer

I quit watchin ax men, I tune in to Discovery or A&E for my real TV. 

Woodhauler

Tuned in to it sunday nite, got a hoot out of shelby wearing pants! He was walking around like he was constipated! ;D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

JuniperBoss

I'll tell you right now, I wouldn't act like those idiots on Axe Men when I log. What a bunch of silly children, at least most of them. They are not men, but children grumbling amongst themselves. They don't show integrity, kindness, or patience. Maybe the show pays them a little "extra" to act like that, I don't know. I admit, I do watch the show from time to time, and like it. But I like the logging part of it, not the cursing, childish behavior, etc.

Now Shelby is hilarious! I don't care he's crazy hilarious! Love watching him! Forget the rest! Make a show about him!
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

captain_crunch

Sure wish it could have stayed the way it really is out here >:( >:( None of the Stupidy shown there is Tollerated in real life but the language is authentic ::) ::) Sad part is  the ground they portray as bad is almost what we would call flat :D :D
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

snowstorm

i was up in the county monday to look at a harvester. turned out to be nothing i wanted. did on the radio that bobby goodson was going to be in millinocket at the pelletier reastrunt .

lumberjack48

I didn't like swearing on my job, i didn't need a four letter word every other word to get my point across. It seams like the more four letter words they used the bigger and better they were, i seen just the opposite. But there was one rule, i had the right to swear when something broke. ;D

The wife has no time for the show, she says its demeaning to loggers. She was proud to say she was a logger, now after people seeing the show she doesn't tell people thats what she did.
She was mad at Gabes old man the other night, i was laughing, then she got mad at me for laughing. She said there was nothing funny about trying to kill somebody.
                    This is how mad she got !!!!!!!!!!!

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Brian_Rhoad

They need to change the show name to Acts Men.

JuniperBoss

Close, but they need to change the show to Acts Kids :D.

They act like my 6-year-old cousin.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

ID4ster

I finally saw a couple of rerun episodes of the Ax Men last night. Absolutely the worst thing I've ever seen. The entire show must be underwritten by the Sierra Club, Greenpeace, FOTC or other radical no cut environmental groups. The harvesting in no way depicted reality. The fact that people who know nothing about logging watch this and get their impressions of loggers from this show is a real tragedy since the actions shown are so out of touch with what actually occurs or what you would actually do out on a job site. The even worst part is that they were advertising that the new season would start on 11-10-13. This show isn't even a bad joke and the sooner it gets off the airwaves the better for that part of out industry. Man I'm happy that I don't have a TV.
Bob Hassoldt
Seven Ridges Forestry
Kendrick, Idaho
Want to improve your woodlot the fastest way? Start thinning, believe me it needs it.

gologit

Quote from: ID4ster on November 06, 2013, 08:01:10 PM
I finally saw a couple of rerun episodes of the Ax Men last night. Absolutely the worst thing I've ever seen. The entire show must be underwritten by the Sierra Club, Greenpeace, FOTC or other radical no cut environmental groups. The harvesting in no way depicted reality. The fact that people who know nothing about logging watch this and get their impressions of loggers from this show is a real tragedy since the actions shown are so out of touch with what actually occurs or what you would actually do out on a job site. The even worst part is that they were advertising that the new season would start on 11-10-13. This show isn't even a bad joke and the sooner it gets off the airwaves the better for that part of out industry. Man I'm happy that I don't have a TV.

Well said.  Most of what I've seen on that show is pure garbage.  Our best, and most productive, days  in the woods are characterized by a lack of drama, not all the screaming and yelling and  childish behavior that's shown on AxMen.

There's a name for people who sell their self respect and dignity and demean an honorable profession just for money.  They're called whores. The guys on that show, top to bottom, qualify for that label.

Note to Jeff...if whores is a bad word here I apologize and you can strike it.  Doesn't change what they are though.

Semi-retired...life is good.

coxy

Quote from: gologit on November 06, 2013, 10:01:57 PM
Quote from: ID4ster on November 06, 2013, 08:01:10 PM

Well said.  Most of what I've seen on that show is pure garbage.  Our best, and most productive, days  in the woods are characterized by a lack of drama, not all the screaming and yelling and  childish behavior that's shown on AxMen.

There's a name for people who sell their self respect and dignity and demean an honorable profession just for money.  They're called whores. The guys on that show, top to bottom, qualify for that label.

Note to Jeff...if whores is a bad word here I apologize and you can strike it.  Doesn't change what they are though.
ill put a plus to that ;D  get it off tv

WH_Conley

I guess that is the reason Swamp Loggers was discontinued. I really enjoyed that show. I watched a few episodes of Axe Men just to get an idea of how you guys did it out west. It didn't take long to get a gut full of that show.
Bill

gologit

Quote from: WH_Conley on November 07, 2013, 08:17:32 AM
I guess that is the reason Swamp Loggers was discontinued. I really enjoyed that show. I watched a few episodes of Axe Men just to get an idea of how you guys did it out west. It didn't take long to get a gut full of that show.

I liked Swamp Loggers.  I don't know anything about logging on that kind of ground and it was interesting to watch and see how they dealt with different kinds of problems. We work some pretty rough ground but I don't think I'd trade it for those swamps.
.  It was a lot more realistic and sensible than AxMen. I liked the way Bobby Goodson handled his people and took care of all the little details as they came along. That was real.
LOL...sometimes I could see that look of patient exasperation on his face and know just exactly how he felt.
The first season or so of AxMen wasn't bad.  I liked the tong throwing with the jammer.  That's an art and you don't see much of it any more.
Semi-retired...life is good.

SPIKER

I think most people realize these shows are just like the NEWS now mostly sensationalized Reality TV (aka Snookie crap) not real life.   

I like Shelby swamp man pretty fun to watch for a while but you realize he has gotten in over his head for "SHOWMANSHIP" and several people been hurt because of it.   No one in the business would do what he does to the equipment if they are trying to make a living with it...   Was interesting to find out he had a pretty good business that was wiped out in hurricane some years back.. :(

There are some interesting IDEAS to be had and ability to see some great scenery to be had tho...   I like watching the island loggers in Alaska area just for the wild live and views...! 8)   As I would LOVE to get out there but no way would 99.95% of the world population be able to see ANY of that otherwise. 

BTW Gold Rush shows are exactly same with some twists, 1st season or two were good now the reality TV part has come out as the sponsors saw the shows had a following.   
   I think the best of them all are the Deadliest Catch shows as they are still doing the JOB while watching out for the TV crews.   

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

beenthere

Good summary Spiker.

And if I do watch the shows, it is usually with the sound on Mute. Watch the scenery, the equipment used, and not have to listen to the phony hype from the Directors via the mouths of the actors. ;)

Was one recently (name doesn't come to mind) about doing some mining in Ghana I believe. Such drama... ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stumphugger

Was checking stuff in an active unit a few years ago, and a raspy voice yelled out something like did I want an autograph.  I wasn't wearing my glasses and I didn't recognize the guy.  But he told me who he was--Joe, the evil Alaska hooktender on the show, so I took this picture.  He was filling in for a friend that day and seemed to be highly thought of as a good worker who knows his stuff.   

I also had a helicopter outfit working a sale that was supposed to be on the show but they refused to comply with the wishes of the show.  First of all, a faller told me they were interviewing them on camera and wanted them to say bad stuff about their coworkers and they refused because they weren't that kind of guys.  Then, I guess they wanted the helicopter pilot to do some unsafe things and that was the end of it. 

Paul_H

Talkie Tooter! Had one of those on my hip for a long time.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

stumphugger

Quote from: Paul_H on November 07, 2013, 06:07:02 PM

It is a very cheery noise to hear in the woods. 

SPIKER

I DO like the Alaska Last Frontier show, but it is still NEW so have not gotten to the AMP it up BS most of the other shows have taken on...   Watching it now (recorded it other night.)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

CCC4

Quote from: stumphugger on November 07, 2013, 06:19:41 PM
Quote from: Paul_H on November 07, 2013, 06:07:02 PM

It is a very cheery noise to hear in the woods.

Hey there! Yer saw gives you away!  ;D Heard ya got to meet one of my internet buddies the other day at the GTG. I asked him he saw you there, he said he met you and the "used dog". Nice to see you here.  :)

Nemologger

I was like some of you and interested in there methods of harvesting timber. I wanted to see how they worked with yarders and stuff but after just a few times of watching it I soon came to the realization it was all just a JOKE. The guys I have working with me are like brothers to me and Im like a brother to them. We all respect one another and stick together, you mess with one of us you got all of us to contend with.
Clean and Sober

OlympicYJ

It is unfortunate that guys, who for the most part are otherwise good loggers, agreed to the BS to sell the show. Like Git says the first couple of shows were pretty true to how it actually works but after that it just went downhill. Papac is a good logger and I can see the extra money from the show being an enticement as the outfits in AK get fewer and fewer. He also had a tough go at home, his old man refused to sell the family company to him. So he got some backing and struck out for AK. By all accounts he is an extremely nice guy and a nice guy to work for whereas his old man is known for being a screamer and very unpleasant to work for. I can personally verify his old man being an unpleasant type.

GATreeGrower

Half the time when I tell somebody what I do for a living, I have to say, "no, not like on Ax Men"...  I liked Swamp Loggers but the real business is not entertaining enough for the public so they canceled it

ksks

Not knowing anything about the business, I enjoyed it at first.  Then it began to be more drama.  I would record it and fast forward over the stupid parts.  Last show I think I FF over the whole thing.

There was a shooting show where they would have a couple teams and give different challenges.  Fun to watch.  Then it became all about the drama, and not relationships I've seen with a group of men together. 

The shows have become the Housewives of...the forest, or the gun range.

Striving to be average!

stamper

Should have a show on RFD TV, About logging, Have a "logging News" section, a "tips & Tricks", and go visit a job site, something new every week
If you don't run, you rust.
-Tom Petty

CCC4

Quote from: stamper on November 12, 2013, 08:01:51 PM
Should have a show on RFD TV, About logging, Have a "logging News" section, a "tips & Tricks", and go visit a job site, something new every week

It's been several years ago but I have seen on RFD TV horse logging and crews pulling with teams of oxen...really neat to watch!

CCC4

The way I see it, there's things I like and things that get under my skin.

Here's my take on it...worth about .02! LOL!

The Good

Personally the PNW stuff is pretty neat to me. Separate the the "made for tv BS" and you have a type of logging from the PNW that I probably won't ever get to see. So for me, to see how timber is brought out on a sky line is really interesting.

Shelby Stanga is a raving lunatic...but I like the heck out of him! I can't see how people think what he says is scripted...do you really think Shelby is much different in real life? LOL!

The Bad

Too many obviously scripted scenarios of breakdowns, yelling, screaming temper tantrums. Too much usage of the term "logging and logger" in the water logging parts. That one really arrogant group of guys, "Oh I'm the best "logger" out there" talk just kinda pisses me off. Firstly that crew leader couldn't tie the shoes of a "logger", heck I bet none of them on that pontoon can even sharpen a saw much less run one. But yet from them all you hear is logger this logger that. Granted, they are pulling logs out of a river or lake er something...but *DanG, do we need the arrogance?
Also there are just too many setups for disaster on the PNW side of the show, what are people willing to do for ratings? I see that Rygard crew is all green horns this year...is that for views? Or was the green horn crew hired by the show for ratings...set up for failure type crap. What is a kid with zero experience in the woods doing out on a rigging crew? I know you have to start somewhere, but it seems you would want a fairly good hand out there...not a bunch of green horns. And Joe acting like he was teaching that kid to fall a tree...I'm pretty sure that kid knew what he was doing...

Summary

It's just TV. Heck do you all like "Deadliest Catch"... I do, but don't ya figure crab fisherman just roll all over the floor *pithed off saying the same things about that show as we do about Ax Men? I watch the show, I'm not like "ALL" into it er nothing, it's just a fricken show. A least James the  "Aqua Nut" isn't on there this season...that's a big step in the right direction.

Peter Drouin

Aqua Nut  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D good one
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!