iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skidders vandalized in Blue hill, Maine

Started by rick f, January 17, 2013, 05:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick f

I hope they find the one or ones responsable for this.  Times are tough as it is without something like this to contend with.
I think the forestry dept is alot low on the price of new tires, I'd say closer to 20-22k for new ones.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/01/15/news/hancock/rangers-seek-info-on-vandal-who-punctured-loggers-tires-in-blue-hill/
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

snowstorm

rick f

664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

mad murdock

That stinks!  I hope they find the perps.  With any luck if the puncture is clean, they may be able to section repair the tire(s), if they have a good tire shop around the area.  I don't get why anyone wants to cause damage to anothers property, I guess I never have understood the reasoning behind, it, of course, maybe that is why they do it, lack of reasoning on their part ::)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

dsgsr

Use to be a time when no one would even think of messin with a logger around here. For 2 reasons, one they were respected as the hardest working people around and the strongest:)

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

loggah

Im sure whoever did it ,dont want the owner to find out who it was. Generally around here its just mischief from kids,nothing serious. I would like to know what they punched them tires with,you dont punch skidder tires with a jacknife.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

coxy

thats bull crap whene thay find who did it thay should take them out back 4 alittle time it happend to me 15 years ago thay broke all my gages,injector lines and winch lines

clww

Hope the vandals are caught and punished! >:(
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

treefarmer87

I hope they can fix the tires with little cost to the owner. that's a shame I hope they are caught.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

JohnM

Is that something that would normally be insured?  Just curious if a one man operation would bother with that kind of insurance.  Or maybe he has to if he's making payments on the equipment. ???

My guess is kid(s) but knowing Blue Hill could easily be some ELF wannabees.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Woodhauler

More likely a ticked off land owner,seen this happen in a town near me! A right of way dispute went sour!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Charles Barnes Sr

I hope they're caught then I hope they have the monies to pay for repairs!
Baptist Pastor trying to make ends meet logging.
76 IH S8 Cable skidder
Husky 55
Husky 372XP

Autocar

Thats to bad for sure he will have one heck of a repair bill. I worry every time when my equipment sets on a job.
Bill

Dom

A good punishement would be to have the vandals repair or replace the tires. That is NOT an easy job.
Downtime when its the busy time of year is the worst.

lynde37avery

my oldest brother use to be the post master in Blue hill up till not that long ago. wow. small world. i hope they catch those punks. give em a good old fashion belt whippin. then make em come up with the coin for repair.
Detroit WHAT?

rooster 58

They should not only have  to pay for repairs, but should also be required to work in the woods a day or two. maybe if they knew what it was like and how hard it was, maybe they'd have a little respect for folks

Timbercruiser

I feel sorry for the operator. With wood market in the tank and everybody trying to make one dollar thats a low thing to do to a guy.

thecfarm

That is not a good sight to see. He has to take the chains off than the tires,all that will take some time. All eight of them. :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lumberjack48

Anytime i've seen this much damage, there are issues involved over something or somebody.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

jocco

Lumberjack you are correct (as always) ;D Usually  1. disgruntled employee :o 2. Other logger disgruntled because you got the lot smiley_fused_bomb 3. He owed some one some money Violin_smiley 4. Over a mistress smiley_devil_trident 5. Have seen this when someone bought a skidder out from under someone else smiley_beady_eyes

Quote from: lumberjack48 on January 18, 2013, 10:51:50 AM
Anytime i've seen this much damage, there are issues involved over something or somebody.
You may check out but you will never leave

snowstorm

i used to haul wood for a forester in surry. lets just say he was kind of the shady type. any of you from that area might know who i am referring to. he never owned much for equipment. he always hied everything done. just kinda woundering if it was his job these skidders were working.

rick f

Just an update on this vandilizam:
Blue Hill - Money is being offered to figure out who damaged two skidders in Blue Hill.

It happened the weekend of January 12th, and was discovered that Monday.

All four tires on the skidders were drilled flat and it appears the engine may have been tampered with as well.

Damages estimates are upwards of $25,000.

The skidders were about a mile into the woods, on the Getaway Road.

They belong to Ed and Beth Gracie.

They tell us property owners in the area have come up with a $500 reward.

If you have information on the vandalism, please call the Maine Forest Service at 827-1800.

You can also post anonymous tips on their website

That was from WABI TV website
Findum and makeum pay big time.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

snowstorm

i think i know him. havent seen him in yrs. did he have a c6 treefarmer?

rick f

664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
5040 kubota farm tractor

GDinMaine

It sure sounds like whoever did that knew what it takes to flatten a skidder tire for good.  I would say a competitor, but most certainly a guy familiar with forestry equipment.  Around here fishermen damage each others gear and in rare cases a boat or two were sunk as well. Similar thing happening on land among loggers.  Sad.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Thank You Sponsors!