The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Wolf or Coyote?  (Read 3304 times)

Offline treefarmer87

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Wolf or Coyote?
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2013, 08:41:17 PM »
one up front looks like a coyote and the one in back a wolf. maybe its both, but not likely ???
1990 Ford F-800
1974 Ford L 9000 Self Loader
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1992 Treefarmer c6f
1994 John Deere 648E
FEC 1000 slasher
FEC 1550 slasher
Danzco Delimber
Sthil 660
Jonsered 2172
Jonsered 2255

Offline Jay C. White Cloud

• Senior Member x2
  • semper fidelis
    • Share Post
    • Online business card
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 08:55:43 PM »
Do some not read the entire post thread.  Do what Beenthere suggested.  Most wild Canids found in Northern U.S. are hybrids, with very heavy Wolf gene matrix, so for all practical purposes, Jeff has a real nice photo of a pair of WOLVES, or at minimum a clear hybrid.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
  • Pro-Sawyer Mary and Bibbyman
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 08:57:46 PM »
We had a dowg/wolf cross for about 10 years.  It was some 80% wolf and rest husky.

We see many coyotes every winter.  I've killed a few.

These are wolves.  Or at least more wolf than anything else.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 09:17:31 PM »
Wolves tend to be longer legged than coyotes. I'd say these are wolves. But some kind of cross. Coyote has a narrower muzzle and ours have brown fur on top of their snout.
Move'n on.

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 09:27:46 PM »
German Shepherd? ;D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline fishpharmer

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2013, 09:30:45 PM »
Jeff, I keep forgetting about that white stuff, snow. :snowball:  Even without a size reference they look big.  I will vote wolf.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Offline SwampDonkey

• Forester
  • Large Tooth
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 09:31:53 PM »
This is our coyotes.

A fella shot a confirmed wolf a year ago and it's a bigger and longer legged critter. The feet are also a bit bigger.
Move'n on.

Offline Sprucegum

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 09:38:50 PM »
Yes, our Canadian wolves have longer legs and smaller bellies - don't eat enough grits, I guess.

Offline hardtailjohn

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 10:18:36 PM »
Definitely wolves. We get to see 'em up close and personal here.... hope you're ready for a decline in game.
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 10:21:33 PM »
This might explain some scarcity in the deer population.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 10:21:57 PM »
Welcome  loghorse.  How about an introduction about yourself and your sawing/logging interest?   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline chain

• Share Post
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 10:32:58 PM »
Survey sez........wolves!  I know all furbrearers in the North country have heavy fur this time of year, moreso than our skinny 'yotes around here. If we could just see the animal's paws, wolves have hugh paws, i've been told.

Offline giant splinter

• Pacific Northwest
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 10:48:13 PM »
I will go with Wolves and maybe young or even some hybrid mix involved. I am looking at wolf ears on these two and I think the coyote has a little longer ear in my view.
roll with it

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 11:33:26 PM »
Wolves! Great pictures.
~Ron

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
  • Avast! Here appeareth some sweetgummery about....
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 01:02:40 AM »
My dad always said the coyotes in Maine (talking mid '80's now) were really wolves but the locals just didn't know any better than to call them coyotes. He caught two females in traps the last year he trapped (winter of 87/88, I believe) and he said based on the size there was no way they were coyotes. But you have to realize that he brought his perspective to Maine from Oregon, where he lived until 1977, and according to him, the coyotes of Oregon were little 25 lb. yippy-yap things.

They're all descended from dog-kind, and from what I understand, they can all generally interbreed with each other and domesticated dogs. Sometimes within a genus the form of a species is rather fluid. You can see this phenomenon in domesticated animals, where, with human assistance, you have the variation of dogs where there are huge St. Bernards, little chihuahuas, and 200 or more other breeds of dog within the same species. Take any two breeds of dog (assuming they are physically able to mate), and they will have mutt puppies. Let two mutts from totally different backgrounds mate, and you end up with thoroughly mixed up mutts. Sometimes you get dogs that look one way, sometimes another way.  If you were to assemble 200 male and 200 female dogs, from 200 different established breeds, and let them go wild and all live together in a large confined space where they could hunt their own food and fend for themselves, within a certain number of generations, you would start to see a sort of uniformity emerge as to the body type of dog that did well in that particular environment. If the environment changed, for any reason, in a few more generations, you would start to see more changes in the characteristics. Theoretically a wild population can fluctuate back and forth quite a bit over time, in terms of characteristics.

To sum it up, in my opinion, the terms wolf, coyote, and dog are all somewhat relative. They are all dog-kind.

In terms of established vernacular, a wolf would be a big wild one. A coyote would be a wild one that matures smaller. And a dog is a domesticated one.
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

Turbosawmill 8" cut GX390 Warrior Sawmill, 13hp Honda
MS290 Stihl

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Offline WDH

• Forester
  • Administrator
  • April 1998 - August 2008
    • Share Post
    • hamsleyhardwood.com
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 07:47:36 AM »
However, according to behavior, they are vastly different.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5640SU, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Offline Bibbyman

• Senior Member x2
  • Pro-Sawyer Mary and Bibbyman
    • Share Post
    • Warden Sawmill
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 08:44:49 AM »
Many years ago - '67 or '68 - I was taking Mary home from a date.  We topped a rise in the narrow gravel road and the headlights fell on something standing in the road.  At first I figured it was a deer.  Deer was a rare sight back then.   But it raised its head and it was definitely not a deer but a wolf. It was already broadside the road.  In a split second it turned its head and leaped from the center of the road over the fence.  The road and right of way was narrow but still the leap was most impressive.

Wolf?   Conservation Department would tell you no. But they said that for many years about mountain lions.  It was big enough to take for a deer, definitely canine, and definitely wild.

The Conservation Department was accused of releasing wolves.  But they denied it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Offline Axe Handle Hound

• Share Post
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2013, 08:58:38 AM »
The color pattern and the muzzles look definitely wolfish to me, but I'm having issues with them looking so short.  Wolves are tall, really tall whereas those guys look short to me.  It's always hard to tell when there's nothing to reference size against in the photo and when they have winter fur on, but I'm going to lean towards young male wolves that were recently pushed out by the alpha.

Offline ely

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2013, 09:05:44 AM »
3 guys in the office say wolves, never seen one one for real, but we do know coyotes.... i say make rugs out  of them.

Offline Okrafarmer

• Senior Member x2
  • Avast! Here appeareth some sweetgummery about....
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 10:32:58 AM »
However, according to behavior, they are vastly different.

Yes indeed. (At least sometimes!)

Beside Profdan's house there are some spanish-speaking people who have a wolf-hybrid dog chained up outside (with a doghouse). That critter will howl any time he hears a police or emergency siren. When we hear the siren, next thing you know, the wolf-dog is mimicking the siren, matching it's pitch and tone almost exactly, but about 2-3 seconds behind, like he's echoing it.

We didn't know, but another neighbor who can see the wolf-dog and Profdan's fence from her house told us the other day that Profdan's donkey jumped over the fence a few weeks ago, attacked the wolf-dog, gave it a few choice kicks and bites, and then jumped back over the fence. I've been meaning to go by and see how the dog looks, but keep forgetting. The people who own the dog there wouldn't be the type to make a formal complaint. . . .
No matter how conventional wisdom may fly in the face of radical thought, it's still the most popular type.

Turbosawmill 8" cut GX390 Warrior Sawmill, 13hp Honda
MS290 Stihl

Genesis Hardwood Lumber

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Wolf Management

Started by Ron Scott on The Outdoor Board

1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2012, 01:50:41 PM
by Ron Scott
xx
Wolf trees

Started by Peacock on Ask The Forester

55 Replies
Last post January 28, 2014, 10:11:54 PM
by Magicman