iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

C5d front axle problems

Started by keen, January 24, 2013, 08:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keen

Hey guys having some problems with the front axle on my c5d. The front tires aren't staying locked all the time and it made a popping noise. I  looked at the plantetarys on both sides today and they both looked real good. So it must be inside the differential(if you would call it that since both tires spin all the time?) So I am going to take the dif cover off tomorrow and see whats going on. Have any of you had experience with these axles? The axle number is RP 12/10 then  under that it says "List 5007" If the ring and pinion need changed do you think it is somthing I can do myself or should I have a shop do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

snowstorm

go to you tube and type in eaton no spin. there are several vids that show how the locker work. eatons website also has a lot of imfo on it. it looks like the detriot locker is now a eaton no spin

lumberjack48

Did you check for a broken axle
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

keen

When I had the planetarys out I checked the axles. They were both good. I'll check out some vids. Thanks for the responses

snowstorm

i am assuming tf used a detriot locker. i have worked on them in trucks. the video explains how they work. some snapping may be normal. they stay locked untill one wheel goes faster than the other. turning. in trucks they will break axels if they dont unlock when turning

HiTech

As far as I know there are no covers on the differential. If you want to check it you remove the drive shaft and drain the oil and remove the differential assembly. Sometimes you have to use a punch to get it separated. Also be careful where you use the punch. Don't drive it between the two sealing surfaces as you may not get it to seal when put back together. Also both axles have to be pulled out to get the assembly out. I have heard them snap, crackle and pop before. I sometimes think it is the nature of the beast. I also think they unload some just so nothing breaks in turning.

snowstorm

if you pull the carrier out if there are two large springs you must put a bolt and washers in to hold them before taking the spider out.

loggah

Sounds  like your no-spin unit is getting weak, probably worn on one side. i know in real cold weather the one in my old C6D would jump in and out a bit untill the oil warmed up then it worked fine. You have to completely disassemble the carrier unit, to fix it,sometimes you can reverse the gears and the run on the other side ,the side that doesn't get much wear basically the side that works in reverse,that side of the gear gets used very little.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

keen

Thanks for the reply guys . Loggah that makes sense, it started a few days ago on the coldests days of the winter and has been really cold all week. I'll warm up the oil today and take it for a test drive, if it works out I may try to wait until spring before I tear into it. Doesn't sound like much fun in 10 degree weather. I'm not expected as cold temperatures for the rest of the winter as it has been. Would a lighter weight oil in the winter be a good idea? Thanks again guys

lumberjack48

In -30 my dads C5 would go in circles, you had to keep popping the clutch to get-em to kick in. The first 4 or 5 twitchs were slow going, once it warmed up they were fine.

I would warm it up, and drain the oil out, i believe they call for 50 weight in cold weather. I would put 15 w 50 Mobil 1 in it, and run it, with any luck it should start working.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

snowstorm

the detriot locker uses dog clutchs with 2 big springs. the one in my ih plow truck would lock and unlock then sometimes when it should unlock it wouldnt. then it broke the axle. 1 3/8" axle in a 30k rockwell rear. nothing $1100 in parts wouldn't fix

keen

I stuck my Mr heater under the differential this morning and got it warmed up. Made a few pulls with it and it worked great. What a releif smiley_roller Thanks again guys

DigDug

How about swapping out to synthetic?   

Mark K

My C7D did that the past couple days. No banging but Id only have one wheel driving on each axle sometimes. Once it warmed up it was fine. It was -23 so it had good reason. My old Timberjack had the no-spin go bad in the front. it would jump terrible. Had to do as Hi-tech said. On the TJ's I use to unbolt the axle from the frame and unhook the u-joint and lift the front up with the blade and let the axle rotate down. Then unbolt the pumpkin and let her come apart. Id run it, it was probably just the cold.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

lumberjack48

I would run full synthetic oil in everything on the machine, its not only for cold weather, you also get more protection in hot weather.

Thank You Sponsors!