Started by Weekend_Sawyer, January 25, 2013, 02:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I like beans.
I like beany chilli.
I like beans and rice.
I like bean quesadillas.
and I like a pot of beans.

I start like many of my dishes do, by frying some bacon in my cast iron pot.
Then drop in some chopped up onions.
Then the beans, this time I used mostly drained cans of red kidney, white kidney, pinto and rinsed black beans. I find if I rinse the blacks the dish doesn't turn so dark.

Then I cut up a jalapeno pepper and added cumin, black pepper, chipotle chile pepper (a new discovery for me) and some cayenne pepper. At this point it looks a lot like this: 

I then add about a half cup of kechup, a good tablespoon of mustard and around a half cup of brown sugar. Get it bubbling and set it real low and let it simmer for about an hour.

I'll never buy store bought baked beans again  ;D

Now I should have put them on the BGE and gotten them a bit smokey but it was busy smoking cheese.
That's my next post.  ;D ;D
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Raider Bill

I feel sorry for someone! :D :D :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

giant splinter

Those sure look great andI like the jalapeno addition I am going to try that this weekend, the entire family must eat them in self defense I suspect.
roll with it

Weekend_Sawyer

I just heated up a bowl full in the microwave. It's Friday afternoon, let the party begin!

rooster 58

Beans,Beans. The moreya' eat the moreya' toot :D That looks pretty good, I'm gonna havta give it a try ;D

LOGDOG

Google "Charro Beans". A local Mexican restaurant makes them and they are positively delicious. I could eat only them when I go there. Red beans and rice with sausage is another favorite of ours down here. Simple food ... but very tasty.

Al_Smith

You need to have a few pickled eggs to go with those beans and some beer to get the full effect .

pappy19

And some popcorn to boot. :o I am going to give that a try and looks good for a quick and easy recipe. I normally used dried beans but canned is alot faster. I might also fry a pound of deer/elk burger with the bacon and onions with a few smashed cloves of garlic as well. Thanks for the post-

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Texas Ranger

Good stuff, too much sugar in it for me, next time, cut it back.  It is now part of my Cowboy Diet.  Beef, bacon and beans.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Al_Smith

:D When the weather turns cold Mrs. Smith gets a hankering for "Comfort Foods " Chili ,vegatable soup ,noodles ,beans .

Now the beans due to the fact she's a direct decendent from a "southern belle " are always served with fried potatoes and corn bread .Mr Smith has no problem with that .

wwsjr

I can in from the mill at lunch Wednesday to find a pot of pintos with deer burger, onions, a touch of garlic and cornbread. My wife did good. No recipe, just mixed up in crock pot. I did not want to go back to work, but since I had a helper hired, I went back to work stuffed.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

drobertson

Jon, I am with you brother!  and again, after following you advice on the discada, I will do the same with this wonderful looking batch of beans,  the wife was talking about another batch this week end, and I see no better reason to go for it in the dutch oven, the best part of it is the reheats, in the following days,, 8)   And as for the affects of beans, momma always used a touch of ginger, not sure it worked, but I trust mommas' advice anyway.   Have a great week end folks, no better time to enjoy what we have then while we have it! david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

pappy19

Jon-

I tried your Pot O' Beans last night at a small party we were having and they were the hit of the entire meal. Even folks (and kids) that don't generally like beans, went nuts over your recipe. I guess my old standby bean recipe is out forever and I'll use your recipe from now on. Many thanks for posting it!!

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Weekend_Sawyer

Wow, what a complement, thanks Pappy, It's about time to make a new batch  ;D

DaleK

I like a bit of pineapple in mine.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

CHARLIE

I've printed out your recipe and I'm gonna give 'em a try! That sounds sooooo good
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

pappy19

Had your beans again last night with a prime rib and skillet biscuits. Dynomite as usual. Great recipe. Thanks again-

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm glad you all like them. I am about ready to make a smokey batch.

A couple of weeks ago I made them using dried beans. It came out pretty good but the dried beans never quite get soft enough.

lowpolyjoe

That looks and sounds great!  I'm gonna have to give it a shot. 

pappy19

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on March 12, 2013, 12:21:09 PM
I'm glad you all like them. I am about ready to make a smokey batch.

A couple of weeks ago I made them using dried beans. It came out pretty good but the dried beans never quite get soft enough.

I feel that I am a fair judge of dried beans, especially pinto beans. I have been cooking pintos for 30 years, mostly in a Dutch oven. I used to think that pintos grown in Colorado were the best, but when I worked a project in Arizona, I found the absolute best pinto beans known to man. The area where these pintos are grown is an old ancient lake bed with super great topsoil and a very large acquifer to boot. Once you try these pintos, you will throw rocks at all the others.

Pap

http://www.bonitabean.com/
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

SwampDonkey

Your beans look great John.

Up here in the north we do soldier and yellow eye, these two are not mixed. We soak them over night. We prepare with molasses or brown sugar,dry ginger, dry mustard, fresh bacon, whole yellow onion and fill with water. Bake for 4 hours on 300, check water after 2 hrs and then every hour. The tradition is to also serve corn bread or biscuits. We like molasses with those, but maple syrup to. I have baked beans once a week in winter. My mouth is watering.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

It's chilly and raining here today, A perfect day to cook beans on the woodstove .
To this batch i added some leftover breakfast sausages . Tasty!

SwampDonkey

Yip. I soaked soldier beans last night and cooked them in the oven this morning. I eat lots of baked beans.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sonofman

Beans, Beans, make you smart,
The more you eat, the more you.....pass gas.

I'm gonna have to try your recipe, WS. The only thing I miss about having the OWB is not having a fire in the woodstove to simmer things on.
Located due west of Due West.

Thank You Sponsors!