The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Show us your wood-hauling truck  (Read 35703 times)

Offline JuniperBoss

• God is good and trees are too!
    • Share Post
Re: Show us your wood-hauling truck
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2013, 01:10:10 PM »
Notice I said "almost" just as easy and "pretty much" the same amount. Five cords of wet hardwood is pretty darn heavy but say four cords of dry softwood can be pulled just fine with a big pickup. That is if you are not on the freeway or traveling a long ways. Like I said though if he's got a semi why not use it.
“The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense.” --- Thomas Edison

Offline Firewoodking

• Share Post
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2013, 09:42:25 PM »

Firewoodking

Offline JuniperBoss

• Share Post
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2013, 10:17:42 PM »
Nice trailer. Does that dump? How much did it cost?
“The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense.” --- Thomas Edison

Offline Firewoodking

• Share Post
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2013, 10:53:51 PM »
No it dosnt dump unfortunately. It is just your typical landscapers 4X8 trailer and I built up the sides to total 48".

Max payload is rated at 2900lbs but with a cord of wood, that's a 3940lb load so really it is not the ideal setup but it works.

Even worse I tow it with a Toyota Tacoma 4 banger. it seems to tow it ok but stopping a cord of wood is a lot to ask the truck. Trailer has no brakes.
Truck in the picture is my work truck, I don't use that for firewood stuff to keep my boss happy.

Trailer was free, a gift from my dad.
Firewoodking

Offline yellowrosefarm

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2013, 09:38:53 PM »
Here ya go Jim. It looks a little different than when you had it. For others, it is a 1953 IH R-200 originally purchased by the USMC and used at Quantico. When they surplused it, a paving company down here bought it and used it, then "donated" it to a local scrap yard who passed it to fellow sawyer Jim H who passed it to me. The big hang up to getting it running was the now unobtainable carburetor. I found an adapter that would enable me to use an Edlebrock 4 barrell and that has worked out great. Every year I try to advance it's "restoration" a bit. New USMC olive drab paint should be in the near future. The front clip and doors I got off of a Navy truck. It really is a heavy hauler. I've had dirt rolling off the sides in the back. No way to overload it with firewood.

Offline JuniperBoss

• Share Post
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2013, 10:05:01 PM »
Nice rig. My family owns an old dump truck. I'll take a pic if I remember to. I'm not sure of the year but I think it's 60's. It is a ford f-600 with a gas engine. I think it has some carb issues too. It seems to spit and sputter a little like the fuel mixture is off. I've never put any wood in it, I suppose because it scares me to turn it off, not knowing if it will turn on again. I've seen that with those old rat-chewed trucks. That would be embarrassing being stuck at a customer's house needing a jump!

Offline r.man

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2013, 10:46:00 PM »
Yellowrose, is the shift pattern on the IH first upper left, reverse lower left, second upper middle?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Offline DaleK

• Full Member x2
  • Ooooooh, I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok......
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2013, 07:57:44 AM »

Holds 2-3 cords dumped loose, 5 stacked. Also useful for moving the loader tractor around the fields/forests when I don't have help. I deliver within 8-10 miles, get repeat calls because I can unload where trucks can't go and save some folks a lot of hauling wood.
If I Sang about a saddle with a lasso and a gun,
You'd thing about a cowboy beneath the prairie sun
But I sing about a pine tree with a bucksaw and an axe
I sing about a big man, The Canadian Lumberjack.

Offline yellowrosefarm

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2013, 09:39:55 AM »
Yellowrose, is the shift pattern on the IH first upper left, reverse lower left, second upper middle?

No, reverse is on the lower right. The others are the same. It is a 4 speed with a 2 speed rear. I only use it on the farm but it beats hauling wood a Gator load at a time.

Offline Jim H

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2013, 12:02:06 PM »
The truck looks great, I'm glad you got it going. It was one of those projects I never would have gotten done, I think my wife misses seeing it sitting in the driveway though.  :D
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

Offline ST Ranch

• Full Member x2
  • Outside of a horse is good for the inside of man
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2013, 07:18:49 PM »
Now don't LAUGH TOO HARD! - Use this little trailer on a daily basis and tow it with a small 4 track. Most of the time I get my firewood for my own stove out back on the north 40. I have a lot of white spruce that is dead and standing or blown down from old age. I usually get a full load of rounds on the trailer [about 1/4 of a cord], but during the spring on nice days [today was sunny and 45° F] I get a small jag on the return trip from dumping horse shavings from cleaning the barn [tubs up front].
I then locate the splitter next to the woodpile [or shed door], pull up a round for a seat and split the rounds as I off load and pile them in one process.
Trailer in the background is a 7 x 12 hydraulic dumper that I use to haul my mill edgings to those who use them for firewood.

LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Offline JuniperBoss

• Share Post
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2013, 11:23:05 PM »
An atv and a trailer is a good way to do it, especially in rough or slick terrain. I don't have one so I have to get the wood in ideal conditions, with 2wd pickups. I like the pickup though, because they can haul a good pile of wood.

Offline g_man

• Share Post
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2013, 08:08:23 PM »
Here is my method

Offline JuniperBoss

• Share Post
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2013, 08:13:54 PM »
I like that :). Like your tractor and shed too. Looks like you got a nice place.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2013, 08:44:49 PM »
ST Ranch,I use to haul a trailer like that behind the wife's small tractor. I think mine trailer is shorter. I had to brace it up some. I finally built a trailer for me to use. Those small trailers can haul alot. Everyone I know that has one abuses the poor thing. I can get around in some of my woods much better with the small tractor than the big one. The big one I have to make a road for it and cut trees to get it around.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline plumbstraight

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2013, 09:52:37 PM »
Here are a few of my toys.  The truck is a 72 F700 that was a firetanker that I remodeled with that bed and put a 14T hoist in it.  The quad trailer is homemade and doubles as a dump flatbed and a logging arch.  I built one of these back in the 70's for a tractor and it worked well so did one for my quad.  The splitter used to run off the pto, but changed it out for the independent engine.  As you can see picking up those big ones is a breeze.  I have had blocks in the 6' size. Sure beats have to use a chainsaw to work them down or bounce a sledge on a wedge. 

I tried to download some pics, guess there is another way I am not aware of.

Offline plumbstraight

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2013, 09:58:24 PM »
this is odd, says I cannot upload photos

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2013, 10:10:03 PM »
plumbstraight,this will help on the pictures,
http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline tyb525

• Senior Member x2
  • Always learning.
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2013, 07:02:07 PM »
This is how I get firewood out of the woods, if I am just cutting a small amount. I'll take it to the splitter and then stack the splits in it to take to the firewood shed.

It is a lot easier to transport than a trailer, and I can go more places with the tractor than I can with a truck. (and it's a lot easier on the back to load/unload ;) )

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2013, 07:53:50 PM »
Much easier than having a trailer on the back.Or at least in my woods it would be a lot easier.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Wood hauling Micro Truck

Started by ~smokey~ on Firewood and Wood Heating

24 Replies
Last post March 17, 2015, 10:50:11 AM
by Jeff
question
truck hauling

Started by cityncountryguy on Forestry and Logging

8 Replies
Last post January 14, 2015, 10:14:33 PM
by cityncountryguy