iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another real old timer gone

Started by pineywoods, February 06, 2013, 01:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

One of the last real old timers in our community passed away recently at the ripe old age of 96. he started out logging at an early age like this

He ran a sawmill for many years running a home-made circle mill with tractor pto power. (The mill burned, no pics). Typical of these type men, he could and did build or fix just about anything. A pillar of the community, he was known far and wide.   What he was best known for, was his exquisitely carved boat paddles. When it was too cold and muddy to work in the woods, he sat in his shop and carved paddles with a drawknife. Wood of choice was straight-grained water oak.

Many of his works were donated for door prizes and fund raisers. Most people who have them, don't put them in the water. I know of several that hang on the walls of dens and offices as works of art. Some of the neighbors have started a project to keep his legacy alive. Last week I quarter sawed a  donated 32 inch water oak log into  paddle blanks. They will be bandsawn to shape and passed out to others for final finishing. I'll do a few myself, not that I need boat paddles. I think this qualifies as straight grain wood.

RIP Mr Bonney
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

hackberry jake

I couldn't think of a better wood for boat paddles than "water" oak. I was in G.T. (gifted and talented) when I was in middle school. We had the task of putting out a quarterly historical magazine called "Madison county musings". We got to invite the elders of our community and interview them about the past. It was extremely interesting hearing their detailed accounts of the past first hand. Everything from logging, to hunting, to wars, and everything in between. It sounds like this man was looked up to in your community and I'm sure he will be missed.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Autocar

Great story, sad part is we are losing these guys every day. I have a hickory axe handle in my wedge driving axe thats a 120 years old. The old fellow that gave it to me told me his father had made them . And to give you a idea how old Harry was he told me when he bougth his farm the widow lady was getting a pension from the U.S. and her husband that was killed in the cival war.
Bill

saxon0364

Sorry for his passing.  His kind are hard to replace now a days.  Not to hijack the thread, but isnt it telling that men of that generation took their quiet pride in their skills. Now men tend to take pride in what they buy. Tools they barely understand, toys they have no time to use.   If I had a nickle for every shiny pickup that never carry's any cargo or gets dirty I'd be rich enough to,, well,, buy a shiny new pickup, but mine would be dirty pretty and loaded quick.   Not saying that's everybody today, its not.   Matter of fact I doubt it applies to many that hang out here.  But as a whole we could use a lot more of the character, and ability those old boys had, and a lot less of the posers we have today. 
Nothing wrong with quiet.

WDH

Wayne,

Thanks for sharing that.  Makes you think about what is important.  And yes, that certainly qualifies as straight grain wood.  Very nice, and will make some fine commemorative paddles.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Piney.....Great Post. All the work this gentleman did by hand......and I complain when I have to refill the gas tank on my mill. We don't know how good we have it.

Those paddles you are gonna make....sure would make good "stew" paddles. Stirring a good Deer stew in an old black pot. It don't get no better.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

customsawyer

Great story and thanks for sharing.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ronnie tucker

i was just wondering about those log wagon pictures you posted a while back.then here one is.i wish i could have talked to this man.i wish i had a copy of those photos of log wagons.

isawlogs

Sad to see the old timers like that go, nice that his paddles will keep on though.  Thanks for the pics, I'll keep him in mind next paddle I do. 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!