iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shellac

Started by lowpolyjoe, February 08, 2013, 11:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

I should be ready for some finishing work on my current project shortly.  I've planned on shellac.  In the past i've used the Zinsser Bullseye stuff from Home Depot.   I know real woodworkers mix their own, but i thought it was just because shelf-life was better and you could tweak the mixture.  But recently i read the premixed stuff is "garbage".   

Sometimes people in a given field, such as woodworking, will say something is garbage because it's not their first choice.  It's hard for a novice to know if they *really* mean it's garbage or they're just being dramatic.

Can i get some advice on the difference between some HD premixed shellac and buying flakes and mixing my own?   How much difference is it likely to make?

I can type "shellac flakes" in google and get a bunch of people selling supplies, but if anyone has a supplier to recommended  i'd appreciate that too.

Thanks a lot,
Joe

hackberry jake

The only time I have used shellac was a spray on version. Right after I used it, it looked awesome and I was sold on shellac. Right after someone set the first cold can on it, it developed a white ring. Before you knew it there were 20 white ring marks. I think I'll stick to oil finishes and urethanes.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

lowpolyjoe

Yeah there are definite drawbacks to shellac.  Maybe not the safest topcoat for anything getting a lot of use or seeing any water.  I read it's easy to repair but have never tried.   Current project is speaker cabinets that should see very little physical abuse - except for the darn cat climbing on them and perhaps random stacks of clutter i'm prone to collecting  :).  A tabletop could be a tough sell for shellac.

I have to work in my garage and the wife gives me hell for any stink coming from my woodworking projects.  Shellac odor is much less offensive than some other finishes i've tried so that's a huge plus.  Tung oil is good like that too - until you cut it with turpentine :(   

Another issues is i don't have a spray setup.  I'm not sure how many other finishes are recommended to brush or wipe on.  I'm considering a spray setup (i have a thread around here somewhere) but this project has already gone over budget.

Qweaver

I use shellac all the time for interior wood work but only as a sanding/sealer.  I usually put 2 coats of lacquer over it.  I'm considering a coat of urethane for total waterproofing tho'
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

scsmith42

Quote from: Qweaver on February 09, 2013, 07:53:19 AM
I use shellac all the time for interior wood work but only as a sanding/sealer.  I usually put 2 coats of lacquer over it.  I'm considering a coat of urethane for total waterproofing tho'

What Quinton said.

I've used premix (Bullseye) as well as mixing my own, and find that my own mix is a better quality.  You can buy shellac flakes from Woodcraft; if you're going to topcoat with poly, lacquer or whatever be sure to buy dewaxed flakes.  Use a high quality solvent (Behlen Bekhol is pretty much the best one available), but in a pinch the regular Crown from Home Depot works ok.

Mixing is done by weight; usually I use a 2 lb cut (2 lbs of flakes to 1 gallon of solvent).  Plan on it taking at least 24 hours for the flakes to dissolve.  I only mix a pint to a quart at a time.

Shellac is a great choice for a first coat on highly figured woods, as it's clarity helps to pop the grain or curl.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Tree Feller

While mixing your own shellac from flakes will render a fresher product, the pre-mixed versions are perfectly acceptable and are definitely not garbage. They are a 3 lb. cut.

Like scsmith wrote, if you plan on topcoating over it, you want to use dewaxed shellac. Zinnser markets their dewaxed shellac as "sealcoat." It will say dewaxed on the can. The regular Bullseye shellac is not dewaxed and top coats will not adhere well to it.

Shellac can be used as a stand-alone finish but I generally use it as a seal coat or as a barrier between non-compatible finishes. Just about any finish will adhere to shellac.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

lowpolyjoe

Thanks for the info guys.

Too bad about the dewaxed thing - i didn't realize that requirement for layering another topcoat on.  Out of curiousity, can you apply dewaxed over regular shellac and then apply another finish?

Glad to hear the premixed stuff is ok.  I'll probably stick with what i know for now. 

jueston

i thought this was interesting, far from conclusive, but interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kCnmW6mKCM

SwampDonkey

I've used probably a gallon of shellac the last year. I only use it on vertical standing projects, not table tops and chairs and things that wear. I have a long thread in here where I have used mostly shellac. I use linseed/turpentine on some areas instead where I want a smooth "softness" to the wood. I just used the Bullseye out of the can. Other than linseed oil, I'm too lazy to bother with any other method and never know how much I'll use.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on February 09, 2013, 09:57:13 PM
Too bad about the dewaxed thing - i didn't realize that requirement for layering another topcoat on.  Out of curiousity, can you apply dewaxed over regular shellac and then apply another finish?

Yes, of course. But you can use pretty much any finish over regular shellac - it does not need to be dewaxed. Water-based finishes are the only things that would be iffy, but I don't use them. The premixed stuff is perfectly acceptable. I've gotten bad shellac flakes that would not dissolve in alcohol, but I've never gotten a bad can of premixed shellac. Premixed is all I use any more. I prefer the stuff in a spray can, but I wish they sold it in orange shellac (ie, what Zinsser calls "amber"). All they sell in the spray can is sealcoat (a thin, dewaxed shellac) and blonde shellac (what they call "clear").

Shellac is a great finish but I almost never use it as the topcoat. I pretty much always finish it off with lacquer.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

lowpolyjoe

Thanks Dodgy Loner.    I would like the added protection of another topcoat finish but last time i tried something else i got nonstop hell about the stink coming from the garage for the next week   :-[      I think it was some sort of lacquer from Home Depot but i can't remember exactly what.

Pure Tung oil actually smells kind of nice, but the turps to cut it is pretty volatile stuff.  Also, that oil took forever to dry. 

If anyone has a relatively low-stink topcoat to recommend, that would be nice :)   

Temperature could be an issue too i suppose.  I'll be working in my cold garage (2car job inside a highranch / bilevel).  Not sure what the temperature swing is in there.  Don't think it ever hits freezing, but it's pretty cold.

I picked up some fresh Zinsser Clear this past weekend and hope to get to work with it by next weekend.

Tree Feller

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on February 12, 2013, 03:50:32 PM
But you can use pretty much any finish over regular shellac - it does not need to be dewaxed.

I would amend that to read any oil-based finish. I would not spray NC lacquer over regular shellac but then, I've mostly gone to water-borne "lacquer" anyway. As you noted, a waterborne finish over regular shellac is a definite no-no. It will crinkle. DAMHIKT   :embarassed:

Joe, I suggest that whatever finish you are using, you read the mfg's directions on the container and abide by them. Applying the finish to a test piece is a good practice, too. That way, any nasty surprises occur on scrap and not something you have put hours of work into.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Axe Handle Hound

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on February 12, 2013, 04:33:01 PM
If anyone has a relatively low-stink topcoat to recommend, that would be nice :)   

Temperature could be an issue too i suppose.  I'll be working in my cold garage (2car job inside a highranch / bilevel).  Not sure what the temperature swing is in there.  Don't think it ever hits freezing, but it's pretty cold.

I use Minwax Polycrilic over my shellac base coats all the time.  Virtually no odor and no vapor induced high while using it.  It tends to dry fast so have your finishing plan worked out in your head before starting.

lowpolyjoe

you're right Tree Feller - i should defeinitely try on some scrap.  i've put a lot of time and money into my current project and would hate to screw it up.

I'll definitely look into the Minwax Polycrilic - thanks AHH

Dodgy Loner

Lacquer has nasty solvents, for sure. I always spray it outside. If I had to finish indoors, I would be looking for other options as well.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

lowpolyjoe

I'm having a hard time preventing drip ridges from accumulating on my project with the Home Depot shellac i've got.    I'm using it straight from the can with no additional cut.  On the second coat i was about as careful as i'm capable of being and i still got ridges built up along the bottom face of the cabinet (luckly not much anywhere else). 

Tree Feller said it's a 3lb cut - that's thick, right?  3lbs of flakes to 1gallon of alcohol or something like that?  I hear people who mix their own use 1lb or 2lb cuts.  If i dilute the stock mixture a bit, will it help at all to reduce these drip ridges?  Will i be able to apply a lighter coat with a thinner mixture?  This last coat i was keeping the brush pretty dry - felt like i was barely applying any finish at all, but still got some drips.  Can i do better with a thinner cut?

Also, i was thinking of a rule-of-thumb i heard a while back, but i couldn't remember which way it went: "thick over thin" or "thin over thick" or something like that?  Indicating the order you should apply thinner/thicker coats of finish.  Which way does it go?

Thanks for all the feedback so far.
Joe

Dodgy Loner

I like a 1.5-lb cut, so to get that, you would thin it using 50% shellac and 50% alcohol. Part of the problem is that you are using a brush. Try ragging it on instead. All of the coats should be thin, shellac does not have the surface tension of an oil-based finish, so it is prone to runs. Runs are not really problematic, though - let the shellac dry, then sand them out with a little 220 or 320-grit. Buff out the finish with a rag moistened with a little alcohol to get a beautiful sheen.

I'll go ahead and add here that I much prefer the spray-can shellac to brushing or ragging. Cleanup is easier and I find it very easy to get an even coat. You still have to be careful not to overdo it, because you can still get runs with the aerosol.

lowpolyjoe

Funny - i had been wiping it on for my previous projects and just switched to a brush for this one.  I was using random rags previously and getting some lint  so i figured i'd try something different.  Since then i've heard brushing shellac is not the best idea  :D

That's several votes for spray-shellac too now... 

I will definitely try rubbing with a rag dampened with alcohol to see how that works out. 

Thanks for the advice.

LeeB

Careful when you rub, that you don't rub away the adjacent finish.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Schramm

I use shellac almost exclusively on all my interior projects however I make my own.  The reason I make my own is I am able thicken and reduce the shellac by adding more or less DA.  I also do a lot of my projects using alkaline dyes mixed into my shellac which in my opinion can look much more authentic to an aged piece then simply staining.  Now keep in mind that shellac is interior only.

Another way where shellac can help you in a project is when you have multiple colors of wood and you want to make them uniform.  I take a furniture dye and spray a coat on the piece (dont worry it is translucent) this makes the entire piece look more uniform.  I then follow it with my dye (say dark walnut) in my shellac and that allows me a depth and richness that I cannot get with staining.  Shellac is not my finish coat though.  Normally I will follow it with either a low luster (less then satin in sheen) lacquer or simply apply 3-4 coats of furniture wax which also gives it a nice sheen.  Which way I top coat would depend on what the intent of the furniture is going to be.

In my opinion shellac has more uses then any other finishing product in your shop.  It also cut to a 1.5 cut is an awesome wood sealer, will keep sappy woods from causing any issues.

Rob

Axe Handle Hound

+1 for Dodgy's advice.  When it comes to shellac, thinner is better, ragging is better than brushing, but spraying is even easier.  If you're planning to pursue brushing and/or ragging in the future look for a product called Seal-Cote.  It's dewaxed shellac that's premixed to a 1.5# cut and it's a lot easier to deal with. 

In regards to the drips and ridges forming in your finish coat, I've had good success using a razor blade to carefully slice down the majority of the ridge or drip and then polish with sandpaper every so gently.  Note that shellac will melt under heat (aka. fast moving sandpaper) so take your time and clean out the sandpaper regularly.  If you let corns form on it you'll mar your finish up.  Shellac can be a real pain to work with, but it sure makes a beautiful looking project.   

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: LeeB on February 22, 2013, 06:40:06 AM
Careful when you rub, that you don't rub away the adjacent finish.

No need to worry about taking off the finish, Lee. You should just be using a rag lightly moistened with alcohol and gently rubbing out the finish. I do this after sanding the entire piece with some 320. It leaves a lovely sheen. You're not flooding on the alcohol. That would cause problems.

LeeB

MAybe I'm just ham handed. I've wiped away finish from adjacent areas in the past while attempting to fix a drip. I probably was trying to just wipe it away and had not done any removal before hand by sanding or other means.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

lowpolyjoe

Lee, were you trying to rub out the drip while it was still wet?  I imagine that could definitely get you into trouble. 

Several people have recommended the razor blade technique to me now.  I can picture myself accidentally digging all the way through to the wood.  Not sure i'll have the courage to try that one  :D

Schramm, i've done a little tinting with shellac in the past as well.  Unfortunately the 'before' pic is crappy, but you may be able to get the idea.   I applied a relatively dark tinted shellac.  Then i sanded most of the color off.  Then clear shellac on top.    Gave an interesting finish.  I was hoping to accentuate the figure in the veneer but i used the wrong type of stain (i think it was a pigment and i was supposed to use a dye) and it had sort of the opposite effect (you can barely see the figure).  But still somewhat unique looking.

Before

After

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!