iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging Conditions in Japan

Started by John Vander, February 20, 2013, 07:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Vander

Because Japan is mostly mountains, getting to your woodlot means climbing! We stack our gear onto a backrack so our hand are free for using ropes or scailing up steep slopes. We also do not carry huge saws due to the weight factor. All you gear has to fit onto your back.

In many places, getting the wood out means using cables.

Slopes are usually something like this:

Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

ArborJake

What kinda pine is that. Looks like you got a brand new saw. Whats the wood being used for. Thats it I guess for now
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

sprucebunny

Thanks for the pictures  8)

I love seeing the forests and trees from other countries and I've always wanted to visit Japan.

Hope you will post some more.

Are there many sawmills ? Are they large or small ?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

John Vander

Sorry mate, that's not my saw. (whish it was :-\) In Japan we have several species of pine but you hardly see them at the mill. Japanese black pine is pretty common. Red pines are beautiful and majestic. The wood primarily logged around here is Japanese cedar and hinoki cypress. Hinoki is amazing. It has an incredible fragrance and is 100% rot proof, and used extensively for making bathtubs.

John Vander

Sawmills are small, but there is one on every block! Apart from construction and farming, it is one of the last kind of jobs that still keep the economy going here in the rural areas.

John Vander

These are Japanese forester's boots. You might think they are ninja shoes but not really. The split toe design was developed by the farming and forestry communities of old for effective footing in difficult conditions. These boots work very well when climbing. In Japan, you are felling trees 95% of the time on steep slopes or other difficult places. Also, the soil is wet most of the time including forest litter that makes you slip like crazy. They are much lighter than ordinary boots, half the price and fitted with steel toe caps and spikes. Recently there is a cut guard type on the market too.

beenthere

They do look comfortable. The split toe looks quite interesting, and suspect it does improve walking on steep, rugged slopes and over and on logs.
Wonder, if anything like that online?

Now I recognize them as also being your avatar. What is the connection?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Vander

I wear these things a lot. (I have 4 pairs). You see farmers, loggers, carpenters etc. wear these boots here in Japan. Many different kinds. I love my forester's boots. They are called "jikatabi" in Japanese. By the way beenthere, you were right about the burrs on the top plate. I tried it out without filing. Thanx. Worked perfectly o.k.

ArborJake

I have a customer here in NY with hinoki cypress in thier landscaping. They are beautiful. Not very big yet.
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi John V.,

You wouldn't know where to get a new pair of Rikio Tabi boots here in the states do you?  My old pair are shot and I need a new pair also when I'm timber framing without the spikes, (caulks.)

I envy where you are logging at, it is a different world and very different approach, to what you see in Western practice.  How long have you been working in Japan? Have you ever had the chance to harvest "Chouna," (梁チョウナ) shaped logs for the traditional timber construction industry, I could see some nice ones in your photo?

Thank's so much for sharing!

Regards, 

Jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

John Vander

Jay, looks like you can read Japanese. Cool man! Rikio (力王)right?  Here you can find them anywhere, but they are a bit pricey. I have a pair and yeah, they last! Knowing Japanese you could just visit their website. rikio.co.jp Just size might be an issue since we westeners are a "tad" bigger than these Japanese fellows. Don't think you'll find it in the States though. As for logging, I'm only into firewood, and I have never done Chouna logging before.

John Vander

ArborJake, if your customer fells those trees ask him for a couple of cut offs. Cut them in the length with your saw to make long strips of woodchips. Now put those woodchips in a small net and put it into your bath. Nice fragrance. There's a company here in Japan that collects the slash from hinoki landing sites and extract the oil from the leftover wood and leaves. Smells amazing but is a tad expensive.

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi John,

Only architectural, and I have to be into a project or I loose it quick, so I'm sure you are way, way better than me!  Just have learned if I need something, it is best to use Kanji to ask and do web searches, (thank goodness for technology!)  Thanks for the web link, I will try it out.  I hope to go back this fall or next spring, so I might wait till then.  How long have you been in Japan?  Do you do any carpentry?

Regards,

Jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

John Vander

I've been here 10 yrs now. I love carpentry and own a few tools, but I lack skill and time to practice. where in Japan will you be visiting?

thecfarm

Interesting!!! What are you using for power on the cable to get the logs out with? Load the logs onto a truck to get them to the sawmill?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Paul_H

Great pic John I hope you show more.The boots are unique,I'd like to try a pair.

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on February 20, 2013, 08:20:51 PM

I envy where you are logging at, it is a different world and very different approach, to what you see in Western practice. 

Selective logging,uniform shelterwood systems like the ones pictured are alive and well in the west.We went down for a tour on skyline logging in Oregon back in the mid 90's and we have done similar blocks in BC.
The Skyline system there reminds me of the Tyler line.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

John Vander

The cabling for getting the trees down is done by winch.
This winch sits on a small crawler:

This winch sits under the arm of a grapler:

This winch attaches to a tree:

Jay C. White Cloud

Hello Paul,

I agree in the big picture, the practices are very similar, it is when you get down to being in the forests of Japan that things change.  The topography and the way they move through the forest.  Even the personal equipment is different, as you can see from the boots.  They also use timbers Westerns would never consider using and in ways that are very different, such as the Chouna beams (梁チョウナ), which need to come from very specific logs.  Most of the Master Timber Wrights, and Temples don't by logs, they by and maintain forests.  They can be as selective as only harvesting certain timbers, at certain seasons, and at very specific times of the lunar cycle.  Even the slop of the hill and what side of the hill can effect where the beam will go in a structure or how it is used.  The difference go on from there.

Regards,

jay

Paul_H

Yes,same types of logging in the west(coast).Large or small scale.Some done with horses and some with small gas powered winches by one or two man teams.Worlds apart yet the same.

QuoteThey can be as selective as only harvesting certain timbers, at certain seasons, and at very specific times of the lunar cycle.  Even the slop of the hill and what side of the hill can effect where the beam will go in a structure or how it is used.

Indeed and have been doing so for a long time.We used to sell logs to Japan and one family might buy a single log and would go over it for a long time before purchasing.They would take only the best quality.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

thecfarm

Everything is brand new!! Company just starting out?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John Vander

Quote from: Paul_H on February 20, 2013, 10:43:49 PM

Great pic John I hope you show more.The boots are unique,I'd like to try a pair.

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on February 20, 2013, 08:20:51 PM

I envy where you are logging at, it is a different world and very different approach, to what you see in Western practice. 

Selective logging,uniform shelterwood systems like the ones pictured are alive and well in the west.We went down for a tour on skyline logging in Oregon back in the mid 90's and we have done similar blocks in BC.
The Skyline system there reminds me of the Tyler line.

Paul, how I wish they would make more use of shelterwood systems in Japan! Usually only done by the boys higher up here. Your local forestry service around here is terrible. Nothing more than a chainsaw mob really. Mountains are clearcut and left. It's the old "rape & run" routine. Slash piles just left like that. No erosion control practices either. Most forestry service guys around here's qualification training goes something like this: "This is a chainsaw. This is where you start it. This is where you kill it. Dont cut off your legs. Congratulations, you are now a qualified forester."sad really. I could post some pics that'll make you cry.

Jay C. White Cloud

Hey Paul,

I thought you probably had some experiences dealing or working with them.  ;D  They are without a doubt some of the finest craftspeople I have ever had the pleasure of working with.  They are so meticulous, in most cases.  Which explains the equipment as well.  I have seen equipment that has been used every day and it almost looks brand new.  They aren't all like that, but many are.

Regards,

jay

John Vander

cfarm, sorry. I'm just a researcher! Not my stuff. Whish it was. :-\

Jay C. White Cloud

John,

That is a terrible thing, I am so sorry they are doing that.  I can speak to temple forest and private forests of the Master Shikokuan (大工).  I have seen some pretty poor industrial logging but that land was quickly consumed by other industries and never replanted.  It seems that Northern Japan is a wee bit different than Southern, what do you think?

Regards, 

Jay

Thank You Sponsors!