iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turnner firewood processor any thoughts?

Started by logman81, February 22, 2013, 01:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Any one have a turnner firewood processor? I like the way they are built, simple to use and maintain and the price seems good to. I have been giving the thought about getting back into the firewood buiness and have been thinking about possibly buying a firewood processor in the next year or two. I was  thinking it would generate extra income when things are a little slow with the logging and land clearing. I was thinking about a nice inexspensive self contained processor that I could use to cut and split about 40 cords for my own use plus additional 50 to 100 cords for re sale and also advertise for mobile firewood processing for home owners as well.
Precision Firewood & Logging

Bill_G

I bought one of his mills about 2 years ago and am very pleased , simple but well built . I'm sure his wood processor is also a nice piece of equipment . Plus if you call them they answer the phone and are very helpful .

logman81

logman81

Did some searching on the net looking for processors yesterday, Wow thier is alot of differnt makes and models! :D Looked at many of them, ones that I like the most were the cord king 18-20, block buster 14-12, crd junior, and built rite scp hp 18. I'm bassically looking for a nice compact self contained but productive processor that has a integrated off loading conveyor and live deck in the one to two cord per hour mark. It also needs to be portable and easy to set up from job to job as I may take it to my logging jobs to process the tree length that I harvest into firewood on site. As well as process firewood for home owners and small commercial out fits. Don't quote me on those model numbers but you get the idea! ;D

thecfarm

Yes,there is. I know Bangor,Maine is really too far to come to a logging expo in May. But those places will have them set up and in motion. With the best size and straight wood to make them shine.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Holmes

I know of one in use and the owner likes it but said making fire wood was not as much fun as he thought it would be. He was going to increase the size of the live deck so he will not have to cut his log lengths in half , to 12' , .. I believe he said he could do 2 cord an hour if he had help staging logs and loading the deck. I can get a tel. # if needed.
Think like a farmer.

r.man

Make sure you watch the videos and see what grade of log they are processing. I am never too impressed when the processor is using large straight clear logs. Check to see if the operator has to wait for the splitter to cycle and do the blocks fall true after being cut. Another common problem seems to be the outfeed funnel at the splitter. There is no reason for the outfeed to require clearing by hand. I know one commercial machine near me that has regular problems with the blocks falling wrong. I only watched it for about 10 minutes and I saw the operator change a blocks orientation twice with a pickaroon. That adds up to lost production and there is no need for it. Non company videos are the best since they are processing regular bush run logs for the area they are in.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

logman81

I went to one of those shows in essex junction Vt a couple years ago, not to far away at all I plan on attending the one in bangor when it comes there again. Thanks holmes is it a turnner mill? Don't need a # now just looking and doing my research so when I'm ready to buy I will have made up my mind. I have watched many vids and yes the wood they process is of good quality. Good point r.man about looking to see if the blocks fall true after the cut. Seems to me the narrower funnel after the splitter works the best by not letting the wood get sideways. I agree that company vids show what a machine can do under perfect conditions. :)

Holmes

Yes it is a Turner I was surprised when he said it , I responded I thought they only made sawmills. He said they make the processor on request.. He did mention it was not good with crooked logs, like most of them they like straight wood.
Think like a farmer.

r.man

From what I have seen and heard it would probably be a good idea to cull out the worst of the logs from a load for a lot of processors. Some could be bucked into shorter lengths to get rid of twists or bends that a processor won't handle but I expect the occasional log should be processed by hand for the sake of sanity. For anyone who likes beating their head against a wall everything should be put through. The only processor I have seen that probably wouldn't mind almost any log is the kind with a sliding clam that cycles the log forward and acts as a clamp while a block is being cut.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logman81

Thanks Holmes most processors don't do so well with crocked logs they need to be fairly straight. This is not a problem for me though as I only buy standing firewood if it is pole grade as I supply local a few local firewood guys that have processors and are pretty picky on the wood that they buy. I do hope to go to the bangor show, got to make sure the wife can get it off from work. If she can will rent a hotel up there and go both days and make a thing of it. :D

Thank You Sponsors!