iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Elk Hunt 2013

Started by Magicman, March 09, 2013, 04:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

Thanks for the great story and pictures, Lynn.
BTW, does Patty have any extra chores that she's needing done? I'm a working son of a gun for food like that! ;D

Allan

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rooster 58

I just got home from New Mexico. I hunted near Truth or Consequences. I had never seen the southwest and was awed by the rugged beauty and diversity of the landscape. We hunted mostly up in high country, around 9000 ft. elevation.
     It was the second muzzleloader season and we were very optimistic as the two hunters in the first season the week before both scored on some huge bulls. I assisted in finishing up dressing up the skull of one of them.
        It turned out to be a tough hunt though. The large bulls had returned from their breeding grounds to the higher elevations, also due to pressure. We saw bulls every day, and some real dandies at that. On two different mornings we spotted a bull that would go around 380. What a majestic critter. It was awesome to watch him thrash some sapplings and graze. However, attempted stalks for him came up empty.
      I did get a crack at a nice bull that was also pretty big but it was a difficult shot that I couldn't pull off. But on the last day, with an hour or so of shooting light left, I was able to make a 250 yd. shot on a nice 4x4, taking him through the lungs and also raking his heart. He stumbled 10 ft. or so, stopped and then finally collapsed and rolled another 20 ft. and piled up under a juniper bush.
     This was my first elk, and I was very happy and grateful to have taken him. And being that he was only a three year old, I and friends and family will have some very tasty meat to enjoy ;)

thecfarm

Good shooting!
shot on a nice 4x4      What does that mean?
I do hope you have pictures to share?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rooster 58

Thanks cfarm. Yeah I should have some pics a little later. I'm not very computer savvy so I gotta wait for the girlfriend :D
      A 4x4 is the western way of saying it has 4 pts. on each antler ;)

thecfarm

I was thinking of a Eastern 4X4 truck.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

Good job, Rooster. I'm glad you got your hunt and animal.

Allan

Magicman

Congrats on the bull.  Any elk is a good elk.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terry f

Calling a 6x6 bull a 12 point, would probably get a guy laughed out of elk camp. Even our whitetails are counted by sides, which are unfortunately taking over, and I say that not because I don't like the whitetails, just missing the mule deer.

redprospector

Wow, I can't believe I haven't found this thread until now.
Congratulations Magicman, Marty, and rooster 58! There is nothing like the memory of an Elk hunt.
Magicman, you shouldn't feel that could be your "last" Elk hunt. You could always put in for a New Mexico tag. Being from another state, you would be more apt to draw out than a resident. With your writing skill's, and ability to tell a story, you should consider writing a book. I enjoyed this.
Rooster 58, just getting the chance to see a 380 bull would make your hunt. But putting that 4x4 in the freezer was the icing on the cake.
I got a NM bull in the 1st archery hunt, but I don't have too much of a story. No travel, no camping (I like my bed), but none the less a good hunt that I'll never forget.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

pappy19

Two followup questions; in using the "gutless" method, does that mean you didn't take the loin tenders on the inside of the backbone, and did you pull the bull's "ivory" teeth before lock jaw set in? Looked like a nice hunt and congrats on scoring a fine elk. Great story and super great with your pictures. You should submit it to Fur-Fish-Game magazine as they love those kinds of hunting stories and shy away from professional writers.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on October 19, 2013, 10:50:46 PMAll of the quarters, loins, tenders, and neck meat is bagged and ready for pack out.  We used the "gutless" method where the animal is not gutted.  Everything is just removed piece at the time.
We have not gutted any deer or elk in several years and the tenders are easily removed whether the animal is hanging or lying on the ground.  Make your cut and then the back of your hand presses the guts back as your fingers free the tenders.  Each end is then trimmed off and out it comes.

The ivorys are not that difficult to remove even after the jaw sets.

Thanks Pap for the kind words about the hunt and story.   :)

pappy19

Try my chicken fried steak recipe on some round steak, you'll like it.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Magicman

:)  I had already copied and printed it out.   smiley_thumbsup

Magicman

Quote from: Rancher on October 17, 2013, 01:19:51 PM
MM and son just left here headed home and I guess I will be the spoiler...with a bull elk in tow. I will let him post all the adventure. They left with grins on their faces and a couple bags of cookies from my wife for their trip home.

It truly was nice to have met you guys and it was our pleasure to extend a little western hospitality. Seeing the smiles on your faces was icing on the cake. Nice photos to enhance your good memories.

Dave

It is with much sadness that I just learned that our Forestry Forum member and friend Dave Neukirch, "Rancher", died January 19th of this year.  Marty and I met him and his wife before and after Marty's elk hunt in October and we quickly became friends. 

Dave was also a great photographer and contributor to our "Sky Scenes" thread: 

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,2343.msg1046682.html#msg1046682

Dave's obit:  http://www.runyanmortuary.com/obits/obituary.php?id=443933

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thanks Lynn for sharing this....a sad time indeed. RIP Rancher.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandhills

Sorry to hear this, he was definitely one of the many members here I would've loved to meet in person.  RIP

Ron Scott

Sad, he was still very young.
~Ron

Magicman

Visiting with Rancher was a pure joy and I regret not taking more pictures.  He proudly showed us the "woman cave" that he had built for his wife, Carol.  It was full of her craft stuff. 

He was so proud of his photographs and had several albums with some magnificent photos.  I encouraged him to share some with us and he did in the "Sky Scenes" thread.  He was active on a Photography Forum, and also a Writers Forum. 

There were several unfinished projects around and he had an Oscar sawmill that should be for sale. 

This is a tough loss.   :'(

pine

Sorry to hear this RIP Dave aka Rancher

Thank You Sponsors!