iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pecan or Pee-can as my boy says

Started by CalebL, March 09, 2013, 10:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalebL

Just milled a 4 big pecan logs. Got about 750 bf of 4 and 8/4. Random width ranges from 9" all the way to 20" wide boards 9-14' long.

There is 4 slabs of the 8/4 stuff, one of them is 20" wide and 10' long. Another is 12" wide 9' long. The other 2 are about 9' wide and 14' and 10' long.

The rest is 4/4 random width.  I will try to find the pics of the 20" stuff.  It sawed really well.  Had a 10 degree blade on as tight as I could get it and used a bar oil/diesel lube. 

2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

shortlogger

How solid are those dark spots ? Does it cut good ?
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

CalebL

THey are solid.  THere is one spot in a log that I didn't take pictures of where it has a soft spot but the rest are all good. 

I've never had any trouble with pecan.  I think the key is saying it as soon as possible and not letting it sit around. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

5quarter

caleb...that's some good looking lumber. You've got a good point about sawing it green. I have no trouble sawing Hickory when it's fresh cut. My problems are always with stuff thats sat around for a year or two.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Very nice.  Hopefully the crotches won't split. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thomas Ruga

Caleb: My boys say there is a pee can around behind the mill. It's kinda rusty. Nice lumber...

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

francismilker

Nice looking lumber.  I too would rather cut it green.   Around here, it's called p-con!
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

hackberry jake

Beautiful lumber! I'll be down to pick it up tomorrow!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

CalebL

Quote from: WDH on March 10, 2013, 07:58:41 AM
Very nice.  Hopefully the crotches won't split.

The crotches were "U" shaped so I bet they will be ok. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

CalebL

Quote from: Thomas Ruga on March 10, 2013, 10:05:25 PM
Caleb: My boys say there is a pee can around behind the mill. It's kinda rusty. Nice lumber...

Funny story.  Part of having a boy grow up without any neighbors close by is letting him pee where ever outside.  Doing this really helped in the potty training area.  We took the kids to visit my brother in laws family a couple of years ago in Tyler, TX.  We stopped at a Sonic in Tyler because they had a nice playground there.  My boy was 3 at the time and had learned that when he was outside and had to go pee, all he had to do was go to a tree, pull down his pants, and go.  Well, that's what he did when we were at the playground.  He watered a freshly planted pine tree. 

I didn't notice what he was doing before it was too late.  My brothers wife was hysterical trying to tell him to stop.  My daughter is a few years older than him and started screaming "he's in mid stream, he can't stop now!" 

It's things like that I will always remember.   :D
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

CalebL

Quote from: WDH on March 10, 2013, 10:34:47 PM
Caleb,

Powderpost beetles love it.

PP beetles love everything around here.  I hate them things. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Thank You Sponsors!