iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lt40 lift chatter

Started by moandrich, March 13, 2013, 07:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moandrich

When we lift the saw head up it is a bit jerky, there is space between the pads and the uprights. Is there an adjustment and do we have to replace the pads.  1500 hours on machine

Thanx, Rich
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

Bibbyman

At 1500 hours the pads should still be in good shape and probably don't need adjustment. The chain may need adjusting.

Are you oiling the posts?  The chain?  Are you using ATF to oil the posts?  I used hydraulic oil on our mill and it caused the head to chatter.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

moandrich

Just bought the mill, used atf on our lt30 and worked great.  Going wipe it down with a 3m pad and give it a good lube.
Do you adjust the tension of the chains?
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

Chuck White

I think that it will be just fine if you brush down the mast with the 3M pads, then wipe down the friction area with the ATF.  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

T Welsh

3m Scotch brite pads and ATF. Check your manual for the procedure for truing your pads to the mast. I have done it once in the last 10 years :). Tim

GDinMaine

If you look under the carriage you will be able to find the bolt that adjusts the chain tension. Look in the manual for proper tightness. On the subject of lubing masts and chain people here posted that they do so before each use.  I just follow that advice.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Tom L

I've noticed on mine that if I saw for more than 6 hrs I need to re lube the mast with trans fluid or I get a chatter on the way down. like it wants to hunt a little for the bottom . re lubing it seems to solve the problem

rmack

I just got my mill out of hibernation yesterday, but I did remember that there was an issue I noticed with the posts.

Is this something I should deal with now?

hmnn... having read the instructions as an after thought, and having a stack of business cards nearby, I have deduced that a business card is about .020 and the gap I am looking at is closer to 3/32 about .090 I guess I should adjust it before I start cutting today.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Finn1903

I too had chatter on my mill.  What worked for me was spraying the posts with WD40 and wiping it all down to clean off any build up.  I had a little grease residue left over from when the mill was new and that collected sawdust and caused the chatter.  After cleaning I squirted on ATF and back to running smoothly.   
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

Chuck White

Bob; If you make adjustments to the mast pads, don't forget to check the blade alignment to the deck!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

rmack

Quote from: Chuck White on March 14, 2013, 02:51:06 PM
Bob; If you make adjustments to the mast pads, don't forget to check the blade alignment to the deck!

thanks Chuck, I just spent 2 1/2 hrs aligning the deck, now I'm on to the backstops, then grease everything, new blade, check headrig adjustments and cut some lumber 8)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

barbender

Rmack, don't be in a rush to tighten those pads up on a new mill, and make sure the head is in the right location vertically when you check that gap.
Too many irons in the fire

Chuck White

Quote from: barbender on March 14, 2013, 07:32:52 PM
Rmack, don't be in a rush to tighten those pads up on a new mill, and make sure the head is in the right location vertically when you check that gap.

+2, take your measurements where the book says to!

moandrich

Love this place  :) lot of great information.
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

pnyberg

I had a problem with head chatter on my LT40 (thread here: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,52542.msg757771.html#msg757771).  In the end, what I think did the trick for me was applying ATF to the pads themselves.  I got a pump oiler with a long flexible spout.  About every 25 hours I put one squirt of ATF on the top of each of the 8 pads. I'm not sure what this is doing, but I haven't seen the chatter problem in a long while.

Of course I continue to clean and lube the mast as well.

HTH

--Peter   
No longer milling

Thank You Sponsors!