iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

poplar logs for a cabin

Started by ryguy777, March 14, 2013, 12:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryguy777

hows this work? i havent got enough pine around the property to build a cabin, how ever i have no shortage of poplar.  any input is appreciated, thanks guys!

Jay C. White Cloud

Go for it, no problem at all.  Make sure the first course is off the ground at least 18", good roof over hangs and you oil your timbers.  They lend themselves better to "squared up styles with spline and locking joints,  What was your plan?
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

ryguy777

square with saddle noches, sort of an old applachian style. sounds like they'll work out fine for what i want :laugh:

wdncno

We moved a log building and rebuilt it for a studio in 1980.  The cabin had been built in the 1930's by some local Finnish log builders who used poplar.  When we moved it we had to replace 3 of the 4 perimiter logs at the ground.  It was built into the side of a hill. All the rest of the logs were OK.  We have been using the building since then with no problems.  We did extend the roof overhang to minimalise splashback.  I would certainly use poplar for a log building

newstick

I built a addition on a poplar log home in 2008 it worked really well. very easy to work with. but like others said keep it high and dry. ;D
Im am owner operator of Newberg Forest Products.We are a convental logging company with a Timbco feller buncher, two John Deere skidders , a strokeboom delimber, and a Serco log loader with circle slasher saw.
In the summer time my other company builds Handcrafted Log Homes. I love the woods!

ryguy777

thank you guys,  i really appreciate it. how much of an overhang would there have to be?

S.Hyland

Just out of curiosity, what kind of poplar do you have? I just ask because in my area people refer to quaking aspen as poplar. Sometimes aspen can be a little squirrely and move more than other poplars. If it is what you are working with I would just be extra particular in log selection.
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

Jay C. White Cloud

ryguy777,

The overhang would depend on the general design, but I have a minimum of 18" to 24" just to get the splash as far away as possible. 

Sean,

That was good advice about Poplar, (Aspen.)  That is why I had recommended a locking joint system the length of the log.

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

keloo.comly slagle

Hey poplar worked great for us cheap custum, and lincoln log style.You like info get ahold of me on here i will get you my num.

newstick

If it works in the plan 4 foot over hangs on all sides. Shed porches can really help too ,and keep the bottom course of logs 20" from the ground. Another thing would be is putting up gutters. If there is going to be a deck also keep an eye on that to make sure that water is not backing up onto the logs. Theses are all things to consider when building a log building or even using log siding. It doesn't matter what species I use I follow the same guide lines. GOOD LUCK  ;D
Im am owner operator of Newberg Forest Products.We are a convental logging company with a Timbco feller buncher, two John Deere skidders , a strokeboom delimber, and a Serco log loader with circle slasher saw.
In the summer time my other company builds Handcrafted Log Homes. I love the woods!

scouter Joe

X2 what newstick said . I tell my customers almost word for word what he just posted . Good information . scouter Joe

D L Bahler

If you mean yellow Poplar, aka Tulip wood (not a real poplar at all, but we call it poplar here in Indiana) this is a fine cabin wood.

In this state, the vast majority of the old cabins are made of this poplar because it was readily available, tall and straight, and easy to cut with an axe (they saved the oak until they built frames. The old houses are built almost all of white oak. The old barns are a mix of oak, ash, maple, and cherry)

If this is what you have, it lends itself well to a notched/dovetail corner style.

I can put up some pictures of Indiana cabins if you like, these were well adapted to poplar and many consider them to be the height of this particular cabin style. I would depart from the tradition however, and make a high, continuous foundation and give it very generous overhangs.

Also if interested, I could give you extensive information of Alpine log building types (doubt you are though)  Gibt's Guät!

ryguy777

well I'm actually in Indiana, but I'm moving back to upstate New York this summer and thats where the cabin will be (I miss my hills) I hunt on the state land in brown county indiana, haven't been down that way in a few months but I think I remember seeing some old cabins in the woods. if its no trouble to you I'd like to see some pictures

thecfarm

I cut a bunch many years in a grown up pasture. They was all just about the same size, seem like 10 inches. But they all went for firewood. This was pre FF days. The grapes were growing to the tops of them. I had to cut the grapes vines so some would fall. They would of made a great cabin. Someone built one years ago that I drive by. It is a shed and still looking good at 35mph. They kept a horse in it for a while.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ryguy777

the trees are more like an aspen. ive known them as poplar all my life and there all over our land in new york.... when i look up cabins built with poplar the trees they're using are completely different trees then what im thinking of.... what kind of trees are they? sorry about my ignorance, but this has me stumped... (haha get it?)

beenthere

For sure, there is confusion with reference to aspen as "poplar" in certain localities where yellow (tulip) poplar doesn't grow.
Referring to aspen as "popple" seems to help avoid the confusion when talking to a larger audience.
Would help if yellow poplar was used in place of "poplar".
But that won't happen.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ryguy777

s.hyland, i must be one of those people haha, but its what i was tought.... oughta rename quaking aspen logs for a cabin haha

Jason

Poplar or Tulip poplar has leaves that look like the shadow image of a tulip flower, Aspen or what I know as Big Leaf Aspen has leaves that have a similar shape to the maple tree. The bark looks similar on the large trees but at a young age(5 to 10 inches in diameter) I can see a big difference in the two. I think they are in the same family but could be wrong. on my sawmill the boards have a lot of blond wood from the Aspen, and more color contrast on large poplars. I am located in Bloomington, IN and have both types of trees in abundance on the same 40 acre track of my dad's.
"Better to be silent and thought of as a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." Mark Twain

S.Hyland

Yeah, I'm in NY and everyone calls Aspen "popple" here. Tulip poplar grows just north of me closer to the Great Lakes. Occasionally some people will also call basswood "poplar". It can be confusing.
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

ryguy777

so anyways, will aspen work for a cabin?

Jay C. White Cloud

Yes,

Pople logs will work for your cabin... ;D  I did make some suggestions earlier about it.  Feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions.

S.Hyland

Sure, just fasten it well like Jay said, be picky with the logs, and make sure it is protected from moisture. Aspen doesn't have any rot resistance to speak of. Like everyone says, good overhangs! Sounds like a good project.
― Wendell Berry

D L Bahler

Well,

what we call 'poplar' in Indiana is not really a polar at all. It is Tulipwood, which is in the Magnolia family.
What others call poplar, Aspen and other such trees, are true members of the poplar family and relatives of European 'poplar' These are softer woods (though still deciduous,. so classified as hardwood) and typically fast growing. Very susceptible to rot, and not very strong. They can be used if you keep these factors in mind. Another poplar is Cottonwood.

Personally, I dont know if I would go with the dovetailed corner style with such a soft wood as Aspen. Maybe a passed corner system would be more suited. I would foresee the dovetails deteriorating and creeping easily with this wood. With passed corners, you place the end grain out away from the joints, so water does not penetrate as well.

Thank You Sponsors!