iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Conslidate Labor Saving Threads

Started by FRANKZ, March 18, 2013, 10:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FRANKZ

At the beginning of this forum are a series of permanent threads, Total experience, timberframing tools, etc., etc.  I wonder if all of the labor saving advice that has been discussed through the years could be consolidated into another permanent subject listing.  At age 64, with lower back issues, I need all the help I can get.  Specifically I am thinking of the gin pole and working alone threads but I am sure there there are additional techniques that members are using that would be helpful to all.  Thanks.

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for the suggestion.
If someone could start a list of these threads, I'll combine them.

Right now I'm very busy outside with the mill and wouldn't have time to do so until after dark, some evenings.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

beenthere

Frankz has just started the thread.
Now, will Frank consolidate the labor-saving-devices into his thread?
Go for it Frank. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

FRANKZ

I would be happy to work on this project.  I would need some coaching however on how to move threads to a central location.  Can anyone advise?

thecfarm

You could use the FF bookmark,that would be next to the reply button.
But you also could set it up in favorites,than you could keep the topics separate,if there was any you wanted to keep separate.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

There can't and won't be any moving of topics. You can however compile a list of links in one topic that easily leads to the others.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brad_bb

Just start adding tips, reduce clutter as much as possible, and then jim can edit the thread to remove non-essential posts, then make the thread a sticky.

When it's time to make it a sticky, jim should delete posts like this one.  Delete any post that is not a labor saving tip.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jim_Rogers

Compiling a list of threads should be easy.

Like this

Gin pole raising...... link here

Moving timbers alone... link here.

And so on and so on....

Then as Brad said I can move that topic to the top and make it a sticky.

Jim Rogers

Brad_bb

STORY POLE
Make a story pole when laying out timbers with shared or common dimensions.  The story pole can be used to layout those timbers, and to check them.

HAND vs. POWER TOOLS
Sometimes, it's more work to get a power tool out and run a cord and set it up to cut, than to simply use a hand tool.  I discovered only a few years ago that I didn't really know how to use a handsaw effeciently or how to make a square cut with a hand saw.  If you're makeing just a few cuts, consider which would be more effecient, hand or power.  Knowing proper techniques for hand tools will help you make that decision.  Here is a handsaw video I did a couple years ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfNHXdDUPeU 
I plan to remake this video in the coming months to improve and correct a few things.

GET YOUR WORK TO A COMFORTABLE HEIGHT
Proper cribbing height for timber will make a big difference in your neck and back and how long you can work.  Don't blow off this important issue.  It only takes a few minutes or planning ahead.  Hunching over will quickly irritate your back.  This goes for most any work, hewing, welding etc.

Jeff

We don't do that either. Who is to decide whose posts are non essential? Our policy is to only remove posts deemed to be disruptive or inappropriate. How would you feel Brad if I deleted your last post simply because I personally decided it was non-essential to the topic?  ;) You probably wouldn't appreciate it. That's why we can't do that.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Jeff on March 18, 2013, 06:31:49 PM
We don't do that either. Who is to decide whose posts are non essential? Our policy is to only remove posts deemed to be disruptive or inappropriate. How would you feel Brad if I deleted your last post simply because I personally decided it was non-essential to the topic?  ;) You probably wouldn't appreciate it. That's why we can't do that.

I would not ever remove anyone post. I was just thinking to providing one thread such as Brad has started in which there could be links to the entire thread where these subjects were discussed.

That way a new comer could find a good spot to start reading about things that we have found to be useful to begin with.

Jim Rogers

Brad_bb

All I'm saying is, If we are compiling a "list of Tips", then a post where we are just discussing how to organize the tips (like this post right here), are not tips themselves, and therefore just clutter what we are trying to create.  I am not advocating judging which tips are good or not so good, but we can clearly differentiate which ARE tips and which are extraneous discussion, and can be removed to create a well organized "list of tips".

Rooster

I sort of like the idea or starting a Tip Thread like Jim and Brad have proposed.  I have to admit that my FF world is a bit small since I spend most of my time in the TF section and only occasionally in other sections.  I would ask Jeff if this type of thread idea has ever come up in other sections, and if they have, were they beneficial to the forum veiwers?

With all the Neebie traffic that this section attracts, I'll bet there will be many people who will find it very useful.

I vote that we try...and see how it goes.  ;)

Thanks,

Rooster  aka  FF Minion
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Thank You Sponsors!