The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: More Profitable...Going portable or building kiln?  (Read 4026 times)

Offline Old Wood Whacker

• I'm new! Here, that is, but older than dirt.
    • Share Post
Re: More Profitable...Going portable or building kiln?
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 01:06:49 PM »
With my hindsight of 40 years as a entrepreneur, I can tell you that the more money you can generate without having to dedicate a lot of time in labor the more successful you will be. I look at dry kilns as something that have a good R.O.I to labor ratio. Of course, you need to determine whether or not you have a significant market for the lumber once it is dry. Other considerations might be to add moulder and planer to the operation.

If you have wood in the oven it's making you money while you are sawing. If you want to take the sawing show on the road because you think you can get more work that way, fine, but I would recommend doing both. It's dollars against the calendar in this business. Let's say you have a 5000 bd. ft. kiln and it takes a month to dry the lumber and you're going to gain say 50 cents a foot by drying it, then that is $2500 a month, $625 a week, or, based on a 5 day, 8 hour work schedule, comes to $15.63 an hour. So, if you're making $50 an hour sawing, it just upped your hourly wage, effectively, to $65.63 an hour. Yes, there is some time involved loading and unloading it, but relatively little compared with the potential return.

If you can sell the boards, I would probably get the kiln up and running before I put a skateboard under my mill. That way, if you still want to mobilize it, you'll have some extra income to pay for the upgrade.
The only way to stop the corruption in Washington and Wall Street is to stop feeding the monster, and render them irrelevant to your life. Support local business, stay out of debt and live off the land. :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter