iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Cherry with Corley #5

Started by Corley5, April 06, 2013, 11:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Spent a couple days last week sawing black cherry for trim in the house addition.  Everything worked well until a log or two after these pics were taken when a receder spring broke.  Luckily I have a spare mill that had a spring.  Got it back together but had other things to do the last couple days.  There's still a dozen logs left to saw and a pile of edging.  Monday we should get it wrapped up.

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

woodworker9

Nice looking log.  That should produce some great cherry for your project.

I hope to have a Corley 395 back at my property by the end of this month.

Jeff
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Corley5

Last of them  8)

I like sawing cherry  ;D  The saw ran good.  It did need sharpening several times.  I couldn't find the new file disc for my Andrus so I used the Jockey I've had for years and never used.  It worked well  ;D :) :)  The logs were fairly seasoned.  Some were cut two years ago and some a year ago.   

Lumber before adding edger boards.

Flitches to be edged.

Belted up and edging. 

All done.  This should cover what I need for trim  ;) ;D 8)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Don't let WDH see all your Cherry.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

Now that's a nice whack of Cherry!

NICE!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ianab

One thing about those older circle mills, they can cut a LOT of wood once you get them humming.  8)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

isawlogs

You just might have enough to put trim on trim with that wack.  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

That is a buncha trim lumber.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Okrafarmer

Let's see, uh, you weren't planning to paint the trim, were you?  ???  :snowball:
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Corley5

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

HousewrightVA

We use a hay wagon for lumber handling too. How do you unload when packed like that?
skidsteer logger
Case 1840  440  580B
2016 LT40 Super

SwampDonkey

You'll have enough trim left over for the local hospital and library. ;D :D

Nice whack. ;D I have also noticed that cherry logs can keep pretty good for a couple years up in the north country. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

Even here, the sapwood rots away, but the heartwood is usually great years later.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

porcupine

I love the character of your operation.
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

loggah

Lots of nice lumber there !!! i have never seen a Chevrolet edger before !! ;D that hood off a 63 or 64 ? Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

thecfarm

Thank you for the Cherry Tour.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Weekend_Sawyer

Nice to see an old Farmall still in use.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Corley5

I'm not sure what year the Chevy is  ???  It's always been there.  We pull it down to cover more of the edger when it's idle  :)  The edger and mill were together but when Grandpa bought the mill they wanted almost as much for it as the mill so he didn't get it then.  A few years later after the mill was setup and the building put over it he picked up the edger when he heard someone else was trying to buy it.  That's why it really doesn't fit in the building and isn't hooked to the MM power unit.  There isn't enough width to belt it up. 
  Some of the older logs were showing some degrade in the sapwood but there was very little staining even in from the ends in any of them and very little end checking.  I'm very pleased with the lumber.  It sawed out very good.  There's a little bit of white ash in the mix.  Maybe a 100bdft +-.  I had them on the deck for sawing and ripping into stickers but couldn't bear to do that to some of the clear boards  ;D
  My plan is to leave the lumber on the wagon for 6 weeks or a couple months with the top covered depending on the weather and how well it dries.  The planer is in the shed next to edger and I'll pull lumber right off the wagon and feed it directly into the planer.  The front and back piles can be unloaded with the forklift.  The rest, when it's dry enough, I may take right off the wagon and flat stack in a barn.  I've got some uses in mind beyond trim  ;) ;D  Winery tasting room paneling maybe  ??? ;D :) :)
  My Grandpa, whose mill this was, and I restored that H back in 1993.  It's a good ole tractor worth more to me than money could buy.  My other Grandfather and I bought it at an auction.  We used it haying a couple seasons but it had a rattle in the engine and it sat in the barn for a few years after that.  When Grandpa Whittaker was on his death bed he asked Grandpa Bob to help me fix it up and a couple years later when we both had time he did.  He farmed with an H, W6, 300, and a BN and they had an F-12 and an H when he was growing up.  That H still belongs to his brother on the original farmstead. Grandpa's H was his Uncle Fred's tractor.  All his tractors are in our barn.  He really did know his Farmalls inside and out.  This one is a 1941.  The engine has oversized pistons with a 3 5/8" bore which is what a 350 would have.  That's how it was when we opened it up.  It's kind of a mystery because it does have step head IH pistons but they have the small wrist pin that the early Hs have.  As near as we can figure they must be out of an IH power unit.  I wish I would have written the part #s down when it was apart.  Over bore kits for Hs of this period were available to 3 7/16" from the stock 3 3/8".  I found a high compression H head for it too.  A few years ago I had it at the Buckley Show and it put out 29HP on the belt and 31 on the PTO according to their Prony Brake  8) 8) 

woodworker9

My favorite wood to work with.....nice stack of boards there.

Jeff
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

SwampDonkey

A lot of history behind that old iron Corley. The relatives here would just park stuff on an old rock pile when it played out. Dad moved a mountain of old rock piles and scrap iron over the years. Plus had his own bone yard out back full of stuff he always claimed was kept to fix other stuff. I don't remember that too much, except an old transmission he took out of a truck to use as a gear box on a rock picker. :D A piece of iron now and again to weld up a broken harrow or digger. Old barn boards left to disintegrate into the soil, saved previous like they were gold or something, full of nails.  ;D Plus the barn here by the house full of old barn boards that eventually got cleaned out so the barn could be used. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bandmiller2

Corley,nice mill setup,very typical of the old mills here in new England.The old timers built the roofs low barely enough headroom.Don.t know why mayby warmer in the winter mayby just cheap with the lumber that they could have sold.Mills are similar but you will never find two alike each is customized.When I built my first circular mill I traveled to watch as many mill in operation as I could and tried to take the best ideas from each.Some mills the logs just seem to flow through with minimal labor outhers seem awkward and clumsy. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

As I said thanks for the Cherry Tour and now thank you for the Chevy Hood story.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!