The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Arborwear

Author Topic: Turkey Season  (Read 9403 times)

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
  • Location: Northwestern Ohio in the center of a giant corn field
    • Share Post
Re: Turkey Season
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 09:06:30 PM »
These turkeys seem to be of several breeds .Most are the traditional black type but a few I noticed are a brownish color with a certain amount of white mixed in .

Now I've never seen any on my property but just down the road I've seen them several times .Walking around in peoples yards just like they owned the place with not a care in the world .This is a wonderfull habitate for turkeys with all  the oak trees .I'd well imagine though that given a chance they would be content with the farmers wheat ,soy beans and corn also .

Offline POSTON WIDEHEAD

• Senior Member x2
  • Getting old but doing it with Friends.
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 09:29:31 PM »
My mom told me she saw a flock of at least 20 Monday. All out in a field, probably chasing insects.

Hey Chief, I just got curious and looked up to see if FLOCK of Turkeys is correct. Well it is. But I did not know they are also called a RAFTER of Turkeys. I never knew it.  :)
Where's the Spoon?

Offline clww

• Senior Member x2
  • Oh yeah? Watch this!
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 09:32:52 PM »
I've hunted them since 1980 and I'd never heard that term for a group of them either. :)
My favorite is for owls. These are referred to as a "Parliament".
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60" Husky 372XP
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver for Millis Transfer

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 05:36:54 PM »
 A gaggle of geese ,a murder of crows .

A flotilla of ducks if they are just floating  on the water ,a paddling of ducks if they are swimming around .If they are walking around although I've never heard a term perhaps a waddling of ducks .

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 05:41:17 PM »
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD[quote

Hey Chief, I got got curious and looked up to see if FLOCK of Turkeys is correct. Well it is. But I did not know they are also called a RAFTER of Turkeys. I never knew it.  :)

Evidently for a group of chickens also because when the hen house caught fire the rooster said let's get the flock outta here .--or so it's been said . ;D

Offline chain

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 09:11:47 PM »
I believe they've closed the turkey season along counties where the flood waters have them out of their habitat. I had driven up the levee to see where the water was when about 15 turkeys flushed off the inside and flew back into the tree tops. But one jake refused to fly but he ran as fast and far, looked maybe he could have been winged or injured in some way. Lots of nests destroyed by flood waters, think they'll nest again?

Offline sandhills

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2013, 04:16:21 PM »
I'm not sure about your area but here they will nest for quite awhile when the nests get broke up.  I've seen some really small chicks pretty late in the summer, ours are just getting a good start at it and spreading back out but we've really had a cold spring so far.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2013, 10:42:59 PM »
I saw a tom out back this morning all fanned out. Never saw one outback do that. See them across the road in the field quite often doing that,but never behind the house. There was two other turkeys right up by the OWB looking for acorns from the oak tree. They are only about 30 feet from the house.That is no big deal. We have seen 10 out there at one time. Here's what he left for marks in the woods road.

I should of tried to get a picture of him through the window. Those critters are mighty smart. I go out the back door and if they are in sight of me,they are gone. I don't hunt,don't have nothing against it,just don't. Turkeys have not been on my land that long. When I had a house built here in 2000 there was none. Maybe 5 years later we saw a couple and then more and more after that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Al_Smith

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 10:15:17 AM »
I'd like to know how a bird that large can fly throuh a pine tree and take off from the ground like a helicopter and startle the day lights out of you .

We don't have any big pines here but in those northen Pa hills near the NY state border were I first encountered turkeys in the wild they do .Geeze three feet wing span flying through a 2 foot opening ,sideways .I think you'd have better chance of knocking down a quail than a turkey with a full head of steam .They can get out of range for scatter gun in about a twinkling of an eye .

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2013, 12:31:10 PM »

I had a successful turkey hunt this morning on the last day of the second hunt period. I hunted 6 out of the 7 day period and it took until the last morning to get a gobbler in range for a lethal shot.
~Ron

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 06:53:07 PM »
Nice photo Ron! real happy for you, been out this year due to the back surgery, but have the fall season to look forward to,  you have several options there as to how you will prepare this wonderful hunk of breast, country fried, bacon wrapped and grilled, just happy for your result, takes allot of work and patience,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline JohnM

• Senior Member x2
  • Sometimes its best to punt and play field position
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2013, 08:56:44 PM »
Congrats, Ron!  Nice bird. 8)  Even if I did feel like paying for a license I couldn't go with this new job I got, maybe next year.

Geeze three feet wing span flying through a 2 foot opening ,sideways .

Al, they can jump ya and it is pretty amazing how birds that size can move in flight.  When my chickens try to fly they look like a bag of socks being thrown by a lawn mower.  Just ugly.  ;D :D

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2013, 11:41:32 AM »
One early morning during this turkey season, I was calling on a large tom that was giving me problems by his calling on a couple hens nearby. All of a sudden the two hens started making an excited alarm call. I then saw a coyote sneaking up on the hens when they ran behind the large tom for security. The tom then took after the coyote and the coyote beat it back into the woods.

Needless to say, it messed up my calling that turkey in range, but it's the first time I've ever seen a turkey put the run on a coyote out looking for a meal.
~Ron

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2013, 03:43:24 PM »
My period for turkey season is over, but had a few visitors at the lower level window the other morning. They like their reflection - all five of them.

south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Ron Scott

• Forester
  • Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2013, 08:06:55 PM »
Great group of toms, and where were they during your hunt season?
~Ron

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2013, 08:47:33 PM »
Ron
Two of them, I think, were across a field at about 50 yards and out of my bow range. Only managed to get one day of bow hunting in due to the rain and windy weather. I'm a fair-weather bow hunter... ;)

Am thinking I need a drop weight above this window that they like so well. Just need to rig up a good release. :)
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Autocar

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 05:08:54 PM »
So far Ive draw a blank I still have another week but Iam back to logging so maybe I'll have to wait till next season.
Bill

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
NY turkey season

Started by coxy on The Outdoor Board

8 Replies
Last post May 05, 2017, 12:37:18 PM
by Ron Scott
xx
Missouri turkey season off to a good start

Started by drobertson on The Outdoor Board

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2014, 02:08:41 PM
by terry f
xx
Duck season rabit season birthing season?

Started by Sawyerfortyish on Forestry and Logging

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2002, 10:39:26 AM
by Sawyerfortyish
xx
TURKEY

Started by bullet20 on General Board

1 Replies
Last post November 28, 2013, 11:15:18 AM
by Chuck White