The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: My timber frame build  (Read 43164 times)

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
Re: My timber frame build
« Reply #320 on: December 19, 2017, 11:52:39 PM »
Update 12/19/2017:

The last snow (forecasted) was October 22nd.  A rain storm passed on Thanksgiving weekend, the temp dropped and the storm came back down the hill and dumped a few inches of snow (that I didn't know about).

So I went up today to try and get some milling done before the snow dumps again tonight.  Here is what was left today - ground pretty well frozen but was able to use the SkyTrak

I put this big guy on to test my new log clamps

Plenty of travel (1") and tons of pressure!  The only issue I had is a 2x2 tube is not exactly 2x2.  My tubes are ever so slightly rectangular.  Of my 3 log bunks that will accept the clamps, only one would fit correctly.  The other two would only take the clamp 90 off to the side.  I have a little grinding to do on the posts.

Had a number of issues getting the motor to run good and blade alignment but in an hour or two, it was cutting pretty good.

You can't see it in these pictures but this big log has a bit of sweep to it.  I think it was about 24 or 26" diameter but the sweep was a few inches.  I did manage to get fifteen 2x8x13' out of it.  They will be used for the roof deck.  I also got a couple short waney slabs (i.e. Live Edge) and thick bark slabs that I think will make some benches.

Best part of the day - the campground had a visit from the power company's tree crews.  They are clearing around the power lines.  They don't trim trees, they take them down!  They took down a number of trees and the manager said they were all mine!  They had already bucked a bunch to 10' but there were a few tree length for me as well.  The manager said I should go out the back road as "the crews were out there for a few days with tons of saws".  Might have to wait until spring, though :-\
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Online Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #321 on: December 20, 2017, 09:00:43 AM »
Nice to snag those trees/logs.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
« Reply #322 on: December 20, 2017, 09:29:54 AM »
Nice looking clamp. Looks like it is quick and easy.
1992 LT40HD

The winds of change are blowing at hurricane force and I don't like it but good shall come even though I see not how.  I'll do everything in my power to see that it does.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #323 on: January 12, 2018, 02:14:02 AM »
So far, the best part is they don't lift the log/cant when you log them in.

Update 1/10/2018:

Yesterday I went up with my trailer with high hopes to move a bunch of free logs off the adjoining campground land.  Wasn't supposed to be raining but it drizzled all day...

I used my ATV to parbuckle on to my trailer.  The first 4 were somewhat easy - 12 to 14" diameter and 8 to 13' long.  They were up a slight hill and the ramps were nearly level with the trailer deck.  Then it was time to attempt the bigger logs - 23" diameter and 10' long.  That one was a little trouble but I gave up on the 13' second log - too much for the ATV.  I'll have to go back with my Skytrak.

Well, I was going to post a couple pictures but uploading gave me this message -- Unable to create thumbnail or reduced size image. :(

EDIT:  Jeff fixed it!  Well, sort of - had to manually copy the link.  The insert button didn't work.

I was able to just roll that big one right on top of the others from the trailer deck.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 64' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline tburch

• Full Member x2
  • On a mission to build a Timber Frame woodshop.
« Reply #324 on: January 12, 2018, 11:47:37 AM »
Looks like there might be some metal in that first log.   Free logs are always good for something!
Peterson 10" WPF with slabber. Cooks AC36 Diesel.
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #325 on: January 12, 2018, 12:42:37 PM »
Looks like there might be some metal in that first log.   Free logs are always good for something!
Thanks for the heads up.  There is a bit of sweep on that end (bottom) of the log so I will slice off until the stain goes away.
John Sawicky

Offline flyingparks

• If my dog doesn't like you, I don't like you.
« Reply #326 on: January 12, 2018, 11:42:59 PM »
You'll do a lot with them logs

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #327 on: January 14, 2018, 06:47:05 AM »
Nice score. ;D