Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: My timber frame build  (Read 50993 times)

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
Re: My timber frame build
« Reply #320 on: December 19, 2017, 11:52:39 PM »
Update 12/19/2017:

The last snow (forecasted) was October 22nd.  A rain storm passed on Thanksgiving weekend, the temp dropped and the storm came back down the hill and dumped a few inches of snow (that I didn't know about).

So I went up today to try and get some milling done before the snow dumps again tonight.  Here is what was left today - ground pretty well frozen but was able to use the SkyTrak

I put this big guy on to test my new log clamps

Plenty of travel (1") and tons of pressure!  The only issue I had is a 2x2 tube is not exactly 2x2.  My tubes are ever so slightly rectangular.  Of my 3 log bunks that will accept the clamps, only one would fit correctly.  The other two would only take the clamp 90 off to the side.  I have a little grinding to do on the posts.

Had a number of issues getting the motor to run good and blade alignment but in an hour or two, it was cutting pretty good.

You can't see it in these pictures but this big log has a bit of sweep to it.  I think it was about 24 or 26" diameter but the sweep was a few inches.  I did manage to get fifteen 2x8x13' out of it.  They will be used for the roof deck.  I also got a couple short waney slabs (i.e. Live Edge) and thick bark slabs that I think will make some benches.

Best part of the day - the campground had a visit from the power company's tree crews.  They are clearing around the power lines.  They don't trim trees, they take them down!  They took down a number of trees and the manager said they were all mine!  They had already bucked a bunch to 10' but there were a few tree length for me as well.  The manager said I should go out the back road as "the crews were out there for a few days with tons of saws".  Might have to wait until spring, though :-\
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 54' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #321 on: December 20, 2017, 09:00:43 AM »
Nice to snag those trees/logs.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #322 on: December 20, 2017, 09:29:54 AM »
Nice looking clamp. Looks like it is quick and easy.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #323 on: January 12, 2018, 02:14:02 AM »
So far, the best part is they don't lift the log/cant when you lock them in.

Update 1/10/2018:

Yesterday I went up with my trailer with high hopes to move a bunch of free logs off the adjoining campground land.  Wasn't supposed to be raining but it drizzled all day...

I used my ATV to parbuckle on to my trailer.  The first 4 were somewhat easy - 12 to 14" diameter and 8 to 13' long.  They were up a slight hill and the ramps were nearly level with the trailer deck.  Then it was time to attempt the bigger logs - 23" diameter and 10' long.  That one was a little trouble but I gave up on the 13' second log - too much for the ATV.  I'll have to go back with my Skytrak.

Well, I was going to post a couple pictures but uploading gave me this message -- Unable to create thumbnail or reduced size image. :(

EDIT:  Jeff fixed it!  Well, sort of - had to manually copy the link.  The insert button didn't work.

I was able to just roll that big one right on top of the others from the trailer deck.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 38" cut Bandmill up to 54' - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline tburch

• Full Member x2
  • On a mission to build a Timber Frame woodshop.
    • Share Post
« Reply #324 on: January 12, 2018, 11:47:37 AM »
Looks like there might be some metal in that first log.   Free logs are always good for something!
Peterson 10" WPF with slabber. Cooks AC36 Diesel.
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #325 on: January 12, 2018, 12:42:37 PM »
Looks like there might be some metal in that first log.   Free logs are always good for something!
Thanks for the heads up.  There is a bit of sweep on that end (bottom) of the log so I will slice off until the stain goes away.
John Sawicky

Offline flyingparks

• Full Member x2
  • If my dog doesn't like you, I don't like you.
    • Share Post
« Reply #326 on: January 12, 2018, 11:42:59 PM »
You'll do a lot with them logs

Offline fishfighter

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #327 on: January 14, 2018, 06:47:05 AM »
Nice score. ;D

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #328 on: January 17, 2018, 09:20:54 PM »
Update 1/17/2018:

Went back up today.  Rain between last week and this week took out all the snow.  It is supposed to rain tomorrow and turn to snow tomorrow night.  So today was the day.  I drove my Skytrak down into the camp ground with my ATV on the forks.  I staged the logs in two areas and drove my ATV back to get my truck (1 mile each way).

First load:

Third or fourth load - 25" inside the bark, small end - 15' long.  My trailer deck lowered about 5" when I put this one on.  My Skytrak is rated for 9,000 pounds and the hydraulic relief was growning:

All the logs (14) that you can see the ends of were from today:

Got one short bent log (the one way in the back) to make some bench slabs for the campground as a thank you.  The long log is 24' and really set my trailer down on the springs!  Most of the logs are oozing sap - fresh - but two are a little punky in the middle.  Hoping to get something out of the really solid side wood.

Last week (in the rain) there was about a dozen snow cats of various makes and models.  This one was still up there today.  It seats 6 in each unit (pretty tightly packed).

John Sawicky

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #329 on: January 17, 2018, 10:34:05 PM »
Very nice score on the logs.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #330 on: January 18, 2018, 01:34:09 AM »
And one more thing.  My seat on my 1986 Skytrak is pretty beat - all cracked with exposed foam.  With all the rain, it makes for a pretty wet and cold seat.  So I equiped it with an air ride seat :D

Nice and dry and makes for a smooth ride!
John Sawicky

Offline Stuart Caruk

• Woodmizer LX450 DieselStationary timber processing
    • Share Post
« Reply #331 on: January 18, 2018, 04:10:26 AM »
I'm torn between a 10,000 pound telehandler, or a 14,000 - 20,000 pneumatic tired forklift for use around the mill. If cost wasn't a factor, which would you prefer. I don't know too many people with reach trucks around a mill, but I see lots of forklifts.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #332 on: January 18, 2018, 09:50:55 AM »
I'm torn between a 10,000 pound telehandler, or a 14,000 - 20,000 pneumatic tired forklift for use around the mill. If cost wasn't a factor, which would you prefer. I don't know too many people with reach trucks around a mill, but I see lots of forklifts.
The telehandler is all I know but they are EXPENSIVE!  My is pretty beat.  The hour clock died at 6,800+ hours, had (and has) a few leaks but still demanded a price of $8k.  Everything newer is in the $30k range.

I've become pretty good at picking logs with a big set of log tongs (non-hydraulic).  I can pick up a log javelin style and place it on my mill because of the reach.  I don't have to be close (which I cannot do with the current setup) to the mill (which prevents bumping it).  I use it with a single hook to flip cants as I go and as a slab holder.  It does get a bit dicey if you reach too far to place the log as the rear wheels sometimes lift or the whole unit pivots on the front wheels!

If my ground was flat and had a bigger work area, I'd say a regular rough terrain forklift would be easier, perhaps lighter?  My Skytrak is 23,000 pounds.
John Sawicky

Offline Andries

• Making buildings out of big curvy logs
    • Share Post
« Reply #333 on: January 25, 2018, 11:36:34 AM »

This is the tele handler that we've rented for a few months.
Very handy.
We can reach out into the log pile and sling out the perfect log.
. . . but the further you zoom, the lower the lift weight becomes.  :o
This model is a bit light for the logs we handle, only rated for 10,000 lbs close up.
A slightly bigger machine, with steerable rear wheels would make it more nimble in and around the build site.
LT30G24
Ford 545 Series loaders
Stihl chainsaws

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #334 on: February 14, 2018, 05:06:16 PM »
Update 2/14/2018:

There was a very wet snow storm back on January 25th that dumped about a foot of snow that I could see on the CalTrans traffic cam that is about 8 miles and 1,000' lower than my property.

We had two weeks of upper 60s and low 70s followed by a week of mid-60s.  The weather up there is typically 10 cooler - so still snow-melting weather.  The traffic cams show the snow is gone there and the camera above my property (5 miles, 600') shows some snow left from the show plows on the sides of the road.  So, I figured all was good.  There was some snow on the side of the road when I exited and then some ice on the last mile to my place.  Here is what I found...

Well, no milling today!  I wouldn't be able to move the Skytrak to put the head back on the mil.  Not a totally wasted trip.  I brought up some stuff to put in the shed and since I had a log on the mill, I tested my "new" jack for centering the pith.

It works pretty darn good.  Jacking the handle, there really wasn't much in the way of resistance and this is one heavy log.  Not bad for $5.00. :)
John Sawicky

Offline tburch

• Full Member x2
  • On a mission to build a Timber Frame woodshop.
    • Share Post
« Reply #335 on: February 16, 2018, 08:33:24 AM »
You ever get up there and find footprints in the snow that aren't yours?
Peterson 10" WPF with slabber. Cooks AC36 Diesel.
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #336 on: February 16, 2018, 01:44:03 PM »
You ever get up there and find footprints in the snow that aren't yours?
Yep!  All the tracks you see are not mine.  My good friends/neighbor like to check out my work from time to time.  There were dog prints in there as well so I suspect it was them.  The manager of the campground likes to come by, too.  If he sees or hears anything, he says he goes up to see who it is.  I know that's true because he snuck up on me a couple times when I wasn't expecting it!  He did that when he wasn't familiar with my truck.  Nice to have neighbors looking out for you. 8)
John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #337 on: February 26, 2018, 01:11:47 PM »
Update 2/26/18:

More snow coming down.  This is down at 5,022' (800' lower and 5 miles south of my property):

Only supposed to be a few inches to (Looks like already past that) and 1 to 3 feet Thursday/Friday.
John Sawicky

Offline AButton

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #338 on: March 21, 2018, 03:05:57 PM »
Looks like I have a Neighbor!, I am new to TFF and it is nice to know there are members nearby  :)

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #339 on: April 12, 2018, 11:31:52 AM »
AButton, Welcome to the FF!

Update 4/12/2018:

Got an email from the campground manager - snow was clear on his side of the hill.  On my side, still 6" :-\  Then it started snowing yesterday - forecast of 8" :(

Whitmore grade this morning:

So there will be much more on my property.  I80 was closed last night due to slippery conditions and lots of spin-outs.  Chain controls over the summit right now.

More snow tonight...
John Sawicky

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Not Timber Frame but a build question...

Started by SPD748 on Timber Framing/Log construction

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2015, 03:33:59 PM
by fishfighter
xx
Timber Frame Cabin Build

Started by TimFromNB on Timber Framing/Log construction

31 Replies
Last post July 18, 2018, 05:23:27 PM
by IMERC
xx
Wanting to build my own timber frame

Started by stl_6string on Timber Framing/Log construction

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2006, 07:43:11 PM
by srjones
question
How do I build the Arch in my Timber Frame Truss?

Started by Yellow Barn on Timber Framing/Log construction

19 Replies
Last post December 28, 2012, 10:16:28 PM
by jueston