The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: My timber frame build  (Read 65295 times)

Offline ESFted

• Full Member x2
  • Just a chain saw, so far.
    • Share Post
Re: My timber frame build
« Reply #440 on: August 18, 2019, 12:40:48 PM »
Another vote for the great log arch.  I'm going to start checking around for bike frames to build my own.  Was any welding involved, or is it bolted together?
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S
Dreams of a Wm LT70

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
« Reply #441 on: August 19, 2019, 12:56:27 AM »
No welding.  The black pipe is all threaded together with a union up in the handle.  It is 3/4" pipe.  There is a single bolt through the steering tube into the black pipe.  The lower cross piece is just a piece of 1" or 1", I forget which with one bolt through the crank tube (where the pedals used to be).  I made this originally to retrieve some redwood logs from a backyard in town.  Had to fit through a normal side gate (34"?).  If I were to do it all over again, I'd make it at least 40" wide for stability.  Used the "new" version over the weekend and on my uneven driveway, it is a little tipsy with the narrow track.  Might dig through my junk pile and see if I have some longer pipes to make it wider.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #442 on: September 11, 2019, 08:56:18 PM »
Update: 9/11/2019

Here are the logs delivered back on 8/16/2019:

Most of the logs were 33' but a couple were 36' and 39'.  Really made my SkyTrak groan.

I spent Monday and Tuesday milling more of those logs.  I spent 2 days the prior week doing the same and another day or two the week before.  I have now milled up 18 of the 21 logs with a total of 3,607 bd-ft of usable lumber.  One 33' log only yielded 62 bd-ft - a 9" banana. >:( :-X  I have 19 of the 56 rafters and only need two more 23' 2x10 floor joists.  Made a lot of 4x6 girt and brace stock along with assorted 2x8 & 2x10 roof planks.

Here is the new and improved log caddy with a pair of 14' 2x10's fresh off the mill.  I slide them from the SkyTrak forks (in the background) and make them slightly front heavy on the cart.  Rolls way easier than the old version (even with non-bent wheels ;)).

Then it is just a matter of tossing them up on the stack.  I was working alone :-\  At least I don't have to carry them all the way in!

Note the Highly Valuable Denim Wood in the stack.  About 1/4 of the logs were stained.  When I hit a pocket of blue, my mill was blowing so much blue "smoke", I thought I was burning up my blade.  I had to stop and check what was going on!  Mills don't buy such logs (right?), so I think my logger was pretty lucky I came along and gave him top dollar for 'firewood'. ;)  It works for me, though.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #443 on: September 11, 2019, 10:18:54 PM »
Looking good John.  The commercial sawmills here will not buy them because they have no idea how long they have been dead/dying.  The lumber would not make grade.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #444 on: September 13, 2019, 08:48:40 PM »
Update 9/13/2019:

Milled only one log today but took a few pictures of what I've been cutting from the log delivery. 

Edit:  The one log yielded 2-2x10x23', 3-4x7x26', 2-2x4x14', 1-2x10x8', 2-2x6x16', 1-2x6x8', 2-1x6x16' and 3-4x6x7'.  About 385 bd-ft.

A little overexposed but my stack of 22 rafters (4x7x26') and 7 floor joists (2x10x23').

Leftovers from the 33' logs I made 4x6 girt/brace stock.

Lots of 2x8 and 2x10s for roof boards.

A couple 3x10s for the stairwell framing and some longer 4x6s.

John Sawicky

Offline Darrel

• Senior Member x2
  • Never throw an unopened log on the burn pile.
    • Share Post
« Reply #445 on: September 13, 2019, 09:10:24 PM »
John and his saw have been busy!  Good deal. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #446 on: September 14, 2019, 07:47:16 AM »
You have been quite busy Sir.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #447 on: September 21, 2019, 12:27:34 AM »
Update 9/20/2019:

Had a lofty goal to finish up the floor joists.  I had these seven 23' 2x10s (actually need nine).

They are just placed but not nailed in (Monday's job).  Also got the two 3x10's placed.  I need to track down a pair of joist hangers for the 3x10 that will hang off of them and will be 4' 3'-7" off the center beam to house the stair case to the basement.

John Sawicky

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #448 on: September 21, 2019, 08:55:54 AM »
Progress looks good!  When will weather become an issue?

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #449 on: September 21, 2019, 10:53:38 AM »
Already had two heavy rain storms - ~2" each. (normal year, rain stops mid-May and starts mid-October)  One storm with snow only 1,000' higher in elevation :-\  Roller-coaster weather right now.  Last Monday the rain-soaked shavings were frozen at 7 am.  Will be back up to 95 down here, 85 up there on Sunday.  Next Saturday will be nearly 20cooler.  Usually get snow/melt/snow up until mid-November.  By Thanksgiving is when there will be a hard shutdown on it all.
John Sawicky

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #450 on: September 21, 2019, 09:31:13 PM »
How different it is.  Now until June is when I do the majority of my sawing.  ::)   Thirteen customers now all wanting theirs sawed and another called yesterday while I was sawing.  I called him back this afternoon and we set his sawing up for next year making two for 2020. 

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #451 on: September 24, 2019, 10:25:49 PM »
Update 9/24/2019:

i nearly completed today what I was hoping to complete yesterday ::)

I just need to nail in the short joists to the right of the stair well opening and add a little more blocking.  Per my plans, I will be adding some temporary joists in the stair opening and sheet it with some plywood.  Don't want to do what another Forumite did last year!  So I will be going up one more time this week to pound the last few nails and drain all the water systems to prepare for the coming cold weather.  Yesterday morning I did spend a little over an hour visiting a FF member that lives 12 miles from my cabin site.  Turns out his family has been in the area since the 1880's!  They have a great 1,400 acre spread.  No pictures this time but he is amenable to selling some of his Ponderosa pines to me.  Just need to figure out a price.
John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #452 on: September 27, 2019, 01:52:45 AM »
Update 9/26/2019:

Completed in 2 days what I thought would take one ::)

The "dirty" joists midway in the frame are 2x8 16"oc filling the stairwell frame.  They are sticking up 1" and will be topped with a piece of " ply so it will be flush with the 2x floor planking.  Brought down my popup camping trailer - rain for the weekend and cooling off.
John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #453 on: October 03, 2019, 09:18:52 PM »
Update 10/3/2019:

Had a little snow over the weekend (9/28-29), maybe 3"?  Been warm (60's) up there but freezing at night.  Went up today to winterize - empty all the water tanks, pull the pumps, etc.  It was 37 at 8:00 this morning and had this white stuff still hanging around:

I ripped some T1-11 siding into 16" strips and covered my sills with all the pockets cut for posts and braces to keep the water/snow out.

I have a big stack of roofing boards that had a cover tarp that was about dead.  Also accumulated a good stack of 1x cedar wall boards that needed a cover.  Last year I picked up an old horse arena cover.  I have one piece big enough (60'x80'?) to cover the entire cabin once I get the roof boards up (if I need to).  Had some other scraps that I made into these tarps (18'x24' each).  Super heavy duty stuff.  White on one side, this faded green on the other.  Doubles as a kiln! :D

As weather permits, I will be taking down a lot of dead fir trees and general woodland cleanup waiting for the burn days to resume (usually late December to January).  I did scope out some cedar and a couple ponderosas on the lower portion of my land.  Will be testing my log winch/trailer at some point.

John Sawicky

Offline firefighter ontheside

• I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #454 on: October 03, 2019, 10:10:41 PM »
Youve been working hard, John.  Will you have a floor on for the winter and cover it?  That would sure be nice to have done.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #455 on: October 03, 2019, 10:13:51 PM »
It's sad to see your building season end.  Hopefully you will not have the snow load damage like last Winter.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #456 on: October 03, 2019, 10:50:01 PM »
Youve been working hard, John.  Will you have a floor on for the winter and cover it?  That would sure be nice to have done.  
NO!  There is no way the floor would be able to support the snow load of 341 lb/sq-ft.  I'll be hitting it hard next year.
John Sawicky

Offline DWyatt

• Share Post
« Reply #457 on: October 04, 2019, 06:48:13 AM »
snow load of 341 lb/sq-ft.

This is unfathomable. Hearing numbers like that just blow my mind compared to our 20psf:o

Offline firefighter ontheside

• I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #458 on: October 04, 2019, 10:58:17 AM »
Well, there is that.  Hadnt thought about that, but then magicman reminds me of the damage you had from the snow.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD

Offline getoan

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #459 on: October 07, 2019, 03:13:13 PM »
What a beautiful acreage! Do you have any more info or pictures of your trailer winch? Looks like a bigger version of my firewood yarder

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
First Timber Frame Build

Started by aguaman99 on Timber Framing/Log construction

27 Replies
Last post February 02, 2019, 03:24:33 PM
by aguaman99
xx
Wanting to build my own timber frame

Started by stl_6string on Timber Framing/Log construction

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2006, 07:43:11 PM
by srjones
xx
Not Timber Frame but a build question...

Started by SPD748 on Timber Framing/Log construction

4 Replies
Last post August 02, 2015, 03:33:59 PM
by fishfighter
xx
Timber Frame Cabin Build

Started by TimFromNB on Timber Framing/Log construction

67 Replies
Last post April 19, 2019, 10:15:02 AM
by TimFromNB