iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Critter Chews or Claws on a Gas Can?

Started by jander3, May 07, 2013, 08:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Thankfully we do not have porcupines here.  Fire ants and armadillos are more than we need.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Like Gary said those things will remove the rubber from any tire, especially on a trailer. If there are any abandoned cars, buildings and brush piles you will be infested with them. And unless you shoot them, they are some tough.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

John Mc

Quote from: beenthere on May 07, 2013, 04:33:58 PM
I was thinking the red squirrels and pine squirrels be the same little beast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_red_squirrel

I'd suspect them too, but wouldn't put it past a porky either.

Red squirrels do favor conifer habitat.  The gray squirrels go for hardwoods.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

QuoteRed squirrels do favor conifer habitat.  The gray squirrels go for hardwoods.
And we have the fox squirrel in the hardwoods too, along with the gray. The fox is a bit bigger than the gray, which in turn is bigger than the red.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

We have a mixed forest here in NB, and have plenty of both, but the grays actually favor towns around here. Out in the spruce woods you will see just the reds most of the time. In Ontario they have a black colored gray squirrel, same species. We don't have the black colored ones here.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

We have flying squirrels, but I have never seen any. We don't have fox squirrels here. In Ontario they might.

Autocar

Ive been known to do that when I look up at the pump and see what it cost me  :D
Bill

Al_Smith

It's obviously a rodent of some kind I should think .Perhaps nephew Marty of Mich could rent you a cat or three since he has so many .Although if it were a porcupine I doubt seriously if a hungry feline would do you much good .Cats are dumb but they aren't that dumb .

The squirrels seem to have a thing for plastic ,rubber fuel lines etc .We mainly have large fox squirrels ,some grays and a few reds .I would suspect the later .

SwampDonkey

The thing for those porkies is a good family of fishers to clean them up. When the predators are killed off you get this imbalance. I see a fisher around the woods about once a year. But way out in the unsettled areas. They are very shy critters so they stay out of site anyway.

Al_Smith

My buddy goes for grouse every year in the lower part of Mich .He has a very aggresive Britteny spaniel that got quilled three times before he wised up .Good bird dog but evidenly not to sharp on the uptake .

SwampDonkey

We just had mongrel dogs here growing up and lots of porkies. They never learned to stay away from porkies. Dad pulled lots of quills from dogs and multiple times. We had a bunch of old cars and old wagon sheds from dad's grandfather's day and those things made them home. Pull'n quills from a  snarl'n dog ain't too fun.  :D ;D

beenthere

Any more problems with critters chewing on your supplies?
south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

On the brush saw, I had a bear chew the throttle cable. Also porkies (and probably hares) like rubber  handles grips, so we stand our saws up into a tree. I think it's salt from your sweat they are after. Yesterday in the heat I was soaked clear down to the toe nails in sweat. You'd swear it was raining. :D

Al_Smith

Come to think about it chipmonks are worse gnawers than red squirrels. The big hawks kind of keep the squirrels in check but I'm not so certain they fair as well with chipmonks .Those things are fast as greased lightning .

LAZERDAN

Ya Ya   I was out back tonite and low and behold I look at the cans by the splitter and see the vent caps have been "nicely" chawed off.  Chippies I suspect ( Alvin,Theodore and Simon ) the regular and mixed gas.  So I was just thinking on the way back in, there was a post on this a while back ! and I see Al Smith is all over it. A little suspicius  hmmmm                        Lazerdan

Al_Smith

Alvin and cousins are a pain in the behind.Those little rascals can get into anything .Store seeds in the darnest places .They even store D-con which is why it doesn't affect them .

Those little darlins even  figured a way to fill the air filter breather housing of my wifes Cadillac up with seeds .Lawdy do I miss that old land cruiser .

Thank You Sponsors!