The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Varmit rifle suggestions  (Read 21851 times)

Offline pabst79

• You miss 100% of the shots you never take.
    • Share Post
Re: Varmit rifle suggestions
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 06:38:34 PM »
You can't go wrong with a .17 but I think if your going to buy just one varmit rifle and you don't want to spend the $ on a centerfire, I would buy a savage or marlin .22 mag. The .22 mag has a little more power if you decide you need to take out a yote or 2, and it will dispatch them chucks to!
This forum rivals sliced bread!  8)
4th Generation Plumber/Fitter who used to collect chainsaws,firearms and mostly useless iron things, now I mostly collect diapers that my wife throws off the deck...

Offline elk42

• You got to be TOUGH to get old
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2013, 06:51:27 PM »
  New England Firearms (owned by Marlin) has an inexpensive, break-action, single shot rifle for the .17 Hornady. Savage/Stevens has their more expensive Model 30R17 falling block single, and Winchester offers their deluxe Model 1885 Low Wall in .17 HMR. In addition, Thompson/Center is offering the .17 HMR in their single shot rifle.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 07:04:28 PM »
Axe Handle-

Thanks for that link.  I learned quite a lot from it.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Online trapper

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 09:13:39 PM »
223 shells are very hard to find now  All the local stores have a supply of 17hmr yet.
22 rimfire is also hard to find.  I like 22.250 and they are available but might be overkill.
stihl ms241cm ms290  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several Logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
    • Share Post
    • Whispering Pines Farm
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 10:43:03 PM »
Doc, although larger than a woodchuck, I used to have a lot of problems with red foxes picking off my free range chickens during the day.  I started off with a .22, but the low energy and trajectory drop was not optimum.

I ended up using a .223, and have been very happy with the results.  I have three different rifles; a stainless steel Ruger M77, an H&K model 93 with a night vision scope, and an AR15 with a Nightforce scope.  For ammo, after shooting several different brands in each rifle, I settled on Federal 50 grain JHP's as providing the tightest groupings across all three platforms.

A .17 HMR is a great varmint caliber.  However, the .223 is a good multi-functional round, and it's hard to beat an AR15 for versatility, comfort and available accessories.

One other thing to consider is the noise.  Maryland allows civilian ownership of sound suppressors on rifles (albeit you have to go through a state and federal process to legally own one, and right now the paperwork takes around 9 - 12 months for approval).  If you are considering a suppressed rifle, then I would definitely consider the .22 as it is an excellent candidate for suppression.  A .223 is also a good candidate, but it won't be as quiet as a .22
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline JohnW

• Share Post
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 11:59:56 PM »
Just for the sake of conversation, do you have other guns, doc?  And how good are your eyes?

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2013, 05:44:26 AM »
JohnW-

I think those questions are very pertinent....

The only gun I own is a Colt revolver from the Civil War, used by my great, great, great grandfather.  I did some target shooting as a kid, but I consider myself a complete novice on the practice of handling and shooting firearms.  I do consider myself knowledgeable about the "physics" of guns, so the discussions about muzzle velocity, flat trajectory, energy of the projectile at various distances, size and weight of the ammunition, etc. Make sense to me.

With respect to my eyes....let's just say I'll be using a scope :D
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline dgdrls

• Senior Member x2
  • Learning the Art of Milling Logs, Lucas 8/27
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2013, 05:45:18 AM »
Another Vote for the 17HMR or 22 Mag,

Rim fire will be less expensive and for "Woody the Chuck" you will do just fine.

Best DGD

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2013, 06:56:55 AM »
  Another Vote for the 17HMR or 22 Mag,
Plus you can put a baby bottle nipple over the end of the barrel and suppress the noise.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2013, 08:54:11 AM »
I'd say a Bolt action Savage with the accu- trigger system in 17-Hornet. For optics I would suggest a 3x9x40, even the cheaper ones are still good.

The 17-Hornet is a new chambering and it is a spin-off from the 22-Hornet.

One of the nice things about the 17 is that compared to most, it is relatively quiet!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline pappy19

• Share Post
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2013, 09:30:47 AM »
Put me in the 22-250 group; I am a firm believer in more is better than less. Deadly accurate and very deadly to a g-hog, and, will kill a deer if needed.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Offline ely

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2013, 09:32:26 AM »
if quiet is your desire then i highly reccomend going thru the process of filing thru the NFA system and getting your suppessor legally. as stated it is getting to be a lenghtly process but still worth it imo. a simple .22 rifle with a quality can on it will be super quiet with sub sonic ammo.
a .22 pistol supressed with any 22 ammo is also quiet.
.223 with a supressor and sub sonics is way quieter than most could imagine.

i shoot the 300aac blackout round in my T/C encore and quite simply i have shot pellet guns that make more noise than that rifle. and thats pushing a 220 gr projectile, which i feel certain will stop a chuck.

word of advice, if you entertain the idea of sound supressors then purchase the host gun with a threaded barrel. cheaper than getting the machine work done later, silencers will work to some extent on .17hmr but not perfectly.

Offline Sprucegum

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2013, 09:43:30 AM »
 :-X I have been trying to hold back  :-X but - you got to get a 50 cal. like Norm's. Guaranteed no grounhogs in his silo  :D

Offline Raider Bill

• Senior Member x2
  • Who will pull the wagon when everyone rides?
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2013, 10:24:56 AM »
Here's my thinking.

.17 nice little round will kill them. Not very versatile. ammo available.

.22 will kill them, a great round to play/plink with, lots of platforms to choose from like bolt action, semi auto, lever, ammo's almost cheap and "generally" easy to find although not lately :(  A savage bolt with accu trigger would be super accurate or Ruger 10-22 versatile, available and fun. Limits you to small stuff and short distance.

22 mag will kill them, ammo's available but pricey, a bit more range and power, nice shooter but not a popular round just never caught on

22-250 Great round, way more punch, very accurate, ammo's available, platforms are limited.

.223 everything a 22-250 is plus, many platforms to choose from, extremely popular , ammo's in short supply right now  but will come back. I'm sure we can hook you up doc. ;) actually you being a intercity trauma doctor .223 is popular on the street just put out the word in the hood but make sure you specify unfired :D

Speaking about air rifles, I've got a Ruger Air Magnum .22. 1440 FPS It's a lot of air rifle even has kick enough to scope cut and blacken a buddies eye :D  but I doubt it will kill a wood chuck at 100-120 yards just doesn't have the lasting power.

The First 60 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Offline Texas Ranger

• Forester
  • Texan, by God and by choice.
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2013, 11:05:10 AM »
DocB, go to a gun range that will let you fire some rifles, find one you are comfortable with, and go with it.  Suppression is a good idea if you have sensitive neighbors, but will increase the bill by several hundred.  If your neighbors are sporting, work on some of theirs for their support.  If you have horses, as you know, ghogs can break a leg for a horse.

Personally, I would not go with a rimfire, .22 Hornet, .223, .204, all will do the trick.  Bolt action for the accuracy, or a TCenter.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2013, 11:15:30 AM »
T Ranger-

Check out the Benjamin Marauder Air rifle videos on youtube.  Talk about quiet.  I have looked up their muzzle velocity (1000-1100fps) and must question the range on this rifle.  But these videos look pretty neat.  I think that the rifle and scope would be pretty pricey, and the amo might not be readily available with such a specialized tool.  It does, however, change a bit of your thinking about air rifles.  I do not think I am going in that direction at this time, but you never know.

Offline giant splinter

• Pacific Northwest
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2013, 11:18:36 AM »
DoctorB
I am not sure if you have an indoor range near you, if so they often rent firearms for use on the indoor range and many times have many rental models for sale. I think I must agree with the many posts that are leaning on the .22 cal. and .22 mag. if you need the extra punch.
My favorite handgun to plink with is a Rugar .22 LR target pistol, semi-automatic it is very accurate and inexpensive to shoot, I also have a Remington pump action .22 LR with standard sights and this also is very accurate and easy to use. last time I bought ammo for these it was about $24.00 to $29.00 for 500 rounds. Be careful not to ventilate your barn in this effort to de-varmit the area. ;D
roll with it

Offline 240b

• Share Post
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2013, 02:01:15 PM »
My good friend who is a farmer says the .270 works great because there is not much to pick up after,"kinda starts the breaking down process. Plus, I only going to keep one gun in the truck."

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Share Post
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2013, 03:58:35 PM »
.204 Ruger  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline ancjr

• Lost in the woods!
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2013, 04:21:45 PM »
My good friend who is a farmer says the .270 works great because there is not much to pick up after,"kinda starts the breaking down process. Plus, I only going to keep one gun in the truck."

Well, yeah.  .50 BMG would vaporize them too, but I wouldn't want to fill the craters!   :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
new deer rifle?????

Started by Tony on The Outdoor Board

16 Replies
Last post July 26, 2008, 12:45:42 PM
by Dave Shepard
xx
Rifle stocks

Started by postville on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 07:07:12 PM
by terrifictimbersllc