The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: Varmit rifle suggestions  (Read 21844 times)

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
Re: Varmit rifle suggestions
« Reply #220 on: August 05, 2014, 07:39:39 PM »
I was just pointing out that deer are varmints. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline Piston

• Senior Member x2
  • ...Brick by brick my friends...brick by brick!
    • Share Post
« Reply #221 on: August 05, 2014, 07:44:27 PM »
Speaking of that...you must have a lot of varmints out your way  ;D
-Matt
“What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.”

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #222 on: August 05, 2014, 07:52:01 PM »
I don't see too many of them anymore. Back in the '80's Tim and Groucho would drive "around the block" and see 100 or more. Now, I might see 20 or 30 a year, but I don't go looking for them. As long as they stay out of the road, I'm happy. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"Logrite!

Offline gimpy

• Full Member x2
  • Finally an owner
    • Share Post
« Reply #223 on: August 09, 2014, 12:18:38 AM »
I say you got three great choices. A 10/22 will certainly do the trick and is a fun and accurate gun to shoot. Or for a little more fun while getting the job done, I have a 22 cal Benjamin air rifle that shoots lead almost as fast as the 22. But it is more like a air sniper rifle with a significant scope and is a blast to shoot. Fairly quiet. Also a tack driver. But for pure smile, a 17. All you see is a a pink mist cloud in the scope. The gophers and ground squirrels explode when hit. A slight bit more expensive for ammo, but not much more and easier to find.

As for the .222/.223 for deer? I have used my .222 Savage for the last 3+ decades. Never once did I need a second shot. I can't remember the last time I had an exit hole. There is a good reason they use the .223 in the military.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

Offline Piston

• Senior Member x2
  • ...Brick by brick my friends...brick by brick!
    • Share Post
« Reply #224 on: August 09, 2014, 01:58:11 AM »
Welcome Gimpy!   8)
-Matt
“What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.”

Offline Seaman

• Still learning as hard as I can go.
    • Share Post
    • Uniquewoodcuts.com
« Reply #225 on: August 09, 2014, 08:26:06 AM »
Piston,
the hollowpoint match rounds have a SMALL hollw in the nose, which causes a low pressure zone in front of the round as it cuts through the air, Helping with stability.

A pistol bullet has a large hollow in the nose, which causes it to expand as it spins through flesh. This bullet opens up but holds together, acting like a saw blade thru flesh, a .45 cal round can open up to 3/4 in or bigger, giving you a larger wound channel, giving you massive loss of blood, and creating shock to the system. Pistol bullet stability is usually not a priority, distance to contact is minimal, and it is traveling subsonic.

Ballistic tip bullets have a "plastic" tip, this tip actually looks the same on both ends . This tip pushes back into the lead bullet as it enters flesh, acting like a wedge and opening the bullet up, sometimes into many pieces depending on velocity and hardness of target.

Pistol bullets travel SUBsonic, which is the reason caliber matters so much. The size of the wound channel is the damaging factor.

Rifle bullets travel SUPERsonic, so they impart a Fluid Shock Wave through the flesh while making the wound channel. I am sure many here have noticed a lot more damage inside a deer than you would think the bullet would make. I have shot a deer in the neck and find it's heart to be jello when opened up.
Hope this helps.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
new deer rifle?????

Started by Tony on The Outdoor Board

16 Replies
Last post July 26, 2008, 12:45:42 PM
by Dave Shepard
xx
Rifle stocks

Started by postville on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 07:07:12 PM
by terrifictimbersllc