iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying beech firewood in the attic of a house!

Started by gabigowriel, July 10, 2013, 02:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gabigowriel

Hello there everybody!
I'm new around here and I have some questions for those with more experience in drying woodfire or wood generally speaking...
This year is the first year EVER, that I've bought about 3 cubic meters of beerch in big logs wich I now struggle to crack into smaller bits...
Since I was late this year and I don't have even a place outside to stack this wood I decided to put this wood(around 2 tons of "green wood") in the attic of my house!
It's really well built and until 2 years ago I didn't even knew there were about 600 kgs of "stuff" in the attic...
Problem is: will this wood be dry enough in about 3-4 months when I plan on using it in the chamotte stoves?
The whole surface of the attic is covered in galvanized sheets around 200 square meters of it, and the temperature inside it measured in the afternoon at around 16:00 was 37 degrees Celcius (or 100 degrees Fahrenheit).
There is a small window wich I can open for water/humidity to go along on its way!
This temperature oscilates and at 20:20 was at 34 degrees Celcius!
I'm still in the "observation state" and tommorow on "splitting mode" as I plan to chopp it up as fast as I can, although I did worked like a slave today...
If from the data I have given , someone can give me an answer that would probably bring me some "relief" regarding the moisture content that might STILL BE in the wood in about 2-3 months of at least 10 hours of 35 degrees Celcius or more at mid-day, please do so!
I'm new to wood burning but I'll try to do things right, as so many have done for centuries before me, but cash is not easy these days and am forced to buy wood late...
Maybe next year I'll do things different...
Thank you!
p.s. I would post a photo with the wood that must be cut and dried but I can't upload photos YET...
I'll try more and maybe later...

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Pull up a stump, and see if you can post some pics.
There is a good primer to help you here.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,61788.0.html

To help answer your questions, your location would help (can put it in your bio) and the species of wood you are splitting and carrying to your attic will help as well.

100 deg temps will go a way to getting the wood dry but no good way to predict how fast it will dry nor what the moisture content will be in a certain length of time. But it will be as dry as possible, short of putting it in a dry kiln at higher temps. ;)

Just for kicks, lets call it firewood, rather than woodfire. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gabigowriel

Hello there!
I've updated the profile/location "en-detail" :-)
The wood it's beech, and you must excuse me...
Yesterday I was so tired that I thought I've mentioned that in the comment!Guess I forgot...
Yeah, I corrected that "woodfire" too  :D
As for photos, I'm still"fightin" with the system/forum to upload!I usually posted a link to tinypic if on other forums wasn't able to "comunicate" with the forum options for photos!
THERE, job done/picture uploaded!
Now I must go chopp some more of this beech wich seems to "have the upper hand on me"(I'm "done"/tired after just one day of chopping...).It's gonna be a long sweaty day for sure...

;-)

Nomad

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  I can't help much with your questions, but I can say you've done a good job with your first couple of posts! :)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

thecfarm

gabigowriel,welcome to the forum. That beech is a hard wood to split. I split ALOT of it with iron wedges and a sledge hammer. Hates to open up. But it's a good wood to burn. Won't last long if not under cover. Kinda like white birch that way. I myself would not put wood in my attic. That's a lot of weight to put up there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gabigowriel

Quote from: nomad on July 11, 2013, 04:25:56 AM
     Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  I can't help much with your questions, but I can say you've done a good job with your first couple of posts! :)
;D Thank you! I don't like to talk cheap and long, I say what I have to say or shut up and look at what others do!

gabigowriel

Quote from: thecfarm on July 11, 2013, 07:21:07 AM
gabigowriel,welcome to the forum. That beech is a hard wood to split. I split ALOT of it with iron wedges and a sledge hammer. Hates to open up. But it's a good wood to burn. Won't last long if not under cover. Kinda like white birch that way. I myself would not put wood in my attic. That's a lot of weight to put up there.
"a wood hard to split", YES, I "noticed" that today when I was thinking exactly at the same thing as you: I got to get me some "iron wedges", because I can't go on like this...
As for the house and attic : we romanians like to build our houses ONCE and as sturdy as possible!There's so much concrete/cement and iron in this house that a simple hole in a wall it's a VERY hard job to do!Except maybe if you have professional tools like bosch, makita or hilti...
Even the "bricks" from wich the wall is made are concrete mixed with small gravell!
I'm not "worried" about 2 tons in there not even a second...
As I said before: there were about 600 kg of old stuff in there and I didn't even knew...
And that stuff had been there in the attic  for about 10 years...
No cracks are to be seen anywhere in the walls of the house(inside or outside);house is built in 1996!
much later EDIT:
I forgot to show all you what "progress" I made today with this beech(more like b!tch)  ::)

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
I know quite a bit about firewood, but I don't have any experience with Beech.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

GAB

gabigowriel:
The smaller the pieces the faster it will dry.
Using a dehumidifier and a fan to move the air around would probably help in getting the drying done quicker.  Beech is excellent firewood when properly dried.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

gabigowriel

update:
I had the courage today at about 14:00 PM to go in the attic and check the temperature:
there was an unbearable atmosphere at 41 degrees Celcius/105 Fahrenheit...
I begin to think I'll have some "burnable wood" by november if it will be sunny like today at least 2 months everyday!

cutterboy

gabigowriel, hello and welcome. The warm temperature in the attic will help, but you must have air movement to carry the moisture away. Two windows, one on each side of the attic would help but only one window might not be enough.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!