iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting land owners to sell their timber how do you do it?

Started by logman81, July 17, 2013, 10:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

I got it all right! I'll be busy that is for sure. Most of the other loggers have gone out of business so I'm glad to still be working.
Precision Firewood & Logging

mesquite buckeye

When most businesses close, that leaves more for the ones that survive. That's you. ;D ;D ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

logman81

logman81

SwampDonkey here: Fixed link to photo. Removed duplicate post of photo.

Cut the last big oak on this job! Now starting to pull the tops out for the firewood buyer, he will buy all the firewood I can harvest even the junk tops that aren't straight :) 

SwampDonkey

Does your market allow all that flare on the but log? We have to remove it on logs up here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ken

No safety brake on that husky or am I missing something?    ;)
Lots of toys for working in the bush

logman81

Yes they allow it but I trim off the ears so it is easier for the debarker. Ken it broke off this past week and is on order so I'm being extra careful I plan to rebuild it soon, it's a good saw just keeps on cutting! Thank you swampdonkey for fixing things up not sure what happened.

keen

SwampDonkey

Quote from: logman81 on September 13, 2013, 09:30:20 PM
Thank you swampdonkey for fixing things up not sure what happened.

Was missing a [ bracket at the beginning of the link.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I,we,when my Father was alive,would cut the stumps LOW. I still do. But we only had a tractor too. Tractors do not like high stumps.  I don't need my Father to come back from the grave and tell me I don't know how to cut trees down.  ;D My brother cut some trees for firewood and my Father had a fit about the stumps. They was ugly.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I can see your situation with the tractor and also for the firewood. Might as well get all you can. But our right way when cutting on the farm was to have a stump no higher than 12". This is also a regulated stump height in many places. I used to do waste surveys in BC, and the stumps were all measured in every plot for the 12" rule.  ;D

logman81

Thanks everyone, cutting the stumps low is a must! Not only does a job look better but it save wear and tear on the equipment and saves you from getting a bad headache when your head hits the inside of the cab when you back over a stump you didn't see.

SwampDonkey

I would say it looks different. But would not say it looks any better. Unless it's recovered for firewood, flared stump wood is not marketable on pulp or log bolts. Never heard of anyone complaining about running over stumps and hitting their head before. Ever work on land with a lot of pit and mound micro topography from long gone blow downs? Or mouldery ground? A lot different than old reforested field. ;)

thecfarm

I'm with logman.  ;D  We would haul out a log 2 feet longer,cut off the 2 foot butt flare and burn it. If it was a big white pine log,we would leave it in the woods. If we had to go through that spot at least we could move the 2 foot butt flare out of the way. Kinda hard to move a foot high stump out of the way. ;) If trying to get a log out of the woods,cutting the stumps low is just one less thing for the twitch to get hang up on. Yes,it's hard on chain and bars too cutting stumps low.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Never had to worry about it actually. It's not even done on public land. We had machinery that once hooked on, it was coming out. :D Don't remember ever tearing up a stump with machinery unless it was deliberate with a blad or something. 12" is not 4 feet high. ;)

thecfarm

Swampdonkey,have you ever logged with a farm tractor??  ;)  ;)  I know the power of a skidder. Not much slows them down. BIG difference than a NAA 1954 Ford tractor or a 40hp farm tractor. Start cutting stumps a foot high with a tractor and you will either start to break,bend things, or have a harder time working around them.  ;)  If you want stumps a foot high on your land that is fine. logman and me will keep cutting ours low.  ;D

SwampDonkey

barbender

I've used a skid steer in the woods a lot, that will also make you appreciate a low stump ;)
Too many irons in the fire

logman81

Yeah skid steers are no fun when you have high stumps ask me how I know!

SwampDonkey

We had skid steers (they made them in town) and tractors, but they were never in the woods.  ;D I will say though, that the skidder was often used to pull trucks and tractors and sometimes hooked onto a tractor that was hitched to a potato harvester.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!