iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slabbed a Monster Elm With The Lucas

Started by logboy, August 09, 2013, 02:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logboy

This is a new record for me. 6' diameter, roughly 16' long. The fork was at 90" so it had to be trimmed to make the Lucas Slabber fit. Took all day.  It weighed in at over 17,000 pounds according to the crane operator who removed it from the yard in Minneapolis.  Thank you Lucas Mill for another job well done.

It was full of metal. I think I only had three passes where  I didnt hit a nail. The most bizarre FOD was the 2 bullets I sawed through in the last slab. This tree came out of a yard in the middle of Minneapolis. Backyard target practice with a .38 seems unlikely.

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Magicman

Now that is a "boy dog" for sure.  The slabs with metal should bring a premium for the extra "character".   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

logboy

There is no shortage of character in the logs I slab for this customer. If it's a cheap slab then the metal will be dugout if possible.

If it's a high dollar slab, like the 53 inch walnut crotch I did a while back, then they just eat the chain charge.  It's not worth ruining a $1500 slab to save a $130 chain.   

jueston

Quote from: logboy on August 09, 2013, 02:01:48 PM
It was full of metal. I think I only had three passes where  I didnt hit a nail. The most bizarre FOD was the 2 bullets I sawed through in the last slab. This tree came out of a yard in the middle of Minneapolis. Backyard target practice with a .38 seems unlikely.

depending on what part of Minneapolis it came out of, i'm surprised there were only 2 bullets....  :-\

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

logboy

depending on what part of Minneapolis it came out of, i'm surprised there were only 2 bullets....  :-\

34th and Minnehaha. The metal detector says there are more in it.  I found the tree on Google Earth and it looks like it was in the front of a rental property.  Target practice is very unlikely. Maybe someone was sending a message to a nearby resident at one time.  They were in there a long time.

drobertson

Good work on a big ole log! I looks like everything with that would be heavy,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

All I can say is WOW!!!!! Great job LB.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sawdusty1

Woodmizer LT15
Husqvarna 550xp
Husqvarna 372xp
Husqvarna 350
Husqvarna 55 Rancher
Husqvarna 181se
Kubota L4701

Nomad

Now that qualifies as sawing a big one! 8)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

samandothers

thecfarm

That is Urban sawing at it's best. I like that first picture with the subway,metro, in the back ground.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GAmillworker

Nice work on those slabs.  Thanks for sharing pics
Thank the Lord for second chances

logboy

Quote from: thecfarm on August 09, 2013, 07:14:04 PM
That is Urban sawing at it's best. I like that first picture with the subway,metro, in the back ground.

It is a little weird sawing in downtown Minneapolis, backed up to the light rail, and an elevated bike path.  I get a lot of spectators.

clww

With all that exposure, you should put out a sign with your number on it. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Seaman

Logboy
That is awesome, thanks for sharing it with us.
Is your frame wider than my 8-27, or does the dedicated slabber allow you to slab six feet? Mine only slabs 5 feet, not that I have passed on a lot of six footers. I am severely jealous in a way, but also really happy with mine!
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

sigidi

Always willing to help - Allan

logboy

Thanks Sigidi! It's not one of the monsters you boys get down under but it was a big one. It certainly changed my perspective a bit.  The 40" Ash I just slabbed looked small.  :)

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Leigh Family Farm

logboy, is that a prosthetic arm you have? If so, I'm most impressed and my hat is off to you.

Nice work on the log. Minnehaha is the same place that Rehab Addict (DIY Channel) bought a house and fixed it up. Maybe try to sell her some of the slabs for her next project!  ;D
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

logboy

Quote from: kilgrosh on August 17, 2013, 10:04:38 AM
logboy, is that a prosthetic arm you have? If so, I'm most impressed and my hat is off to you.

Nice work on the log. Minnehaha is the same place that Rehab Addict (DIY Channel) bought a house and fixed it up. Maybe try to sell her some of the slabs for her next project!  ;D

Thanks! I got winged in the sandbox a few years back so I had to relearn how to run my Lucas with only 3 partially working fingers and one arm. (Maybe a new Lucas slogan: so easy a one-armed man can do it?) I've had guys tell me for a custom sawing business to be practical you need to stand there and pull hydraulic levers all day. I beg to differ. I can still have the mill off the trailer, assembled and ready to go in 30 minutes. 

JohnM

Quote from: logboy on August 17, 2013, 12:02:18 PM
Quote from: kilgrosh on August 17, 2013, 10:04:38 AM

Thanks! I got winged in the sandbox a few years back so I had to relearn how to run my Lucas with only 3 partially working fingers and one arm. (Maybe a new Lucas slogan: so easy a one-armed man can do it?) I've had guys tell me for a custom sawing business to be practical you need to stand there and pull hydraulic levers all day. I beg to differ. I can still have the mill off the trailer, assembled and ready to go in 30 minutes.
kilgrosh, don't let logboy fool ya, to say he's being humble is an understatement.  He's given more than most for his country and has a better attitude about it than those that have given much less.  He'll tell you he's an average log roller too! ::) ;) ;D  (Wiki ratted you out, lb. ;D)

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

JSwigga

Simply amazing! Many thanks for your service to the country. 
Great job on that giant elm!  I'm in the middle of cutting a big elm now. Got it in the mill at the end of the day and made a few passes.  Not as big as yours (thats what she said) but it will be around 4 ft when I get to the middle.

I got the top cut off and one slab done.  It's really tapered because of the odd shape of the log.  The slabs should even out in a few cuts.

I went to make another pass and the metal reared its ugly head  :-\

Hopefully thats all of it.
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

logboy

Nice looking stuff JSwigga! What grind are you using on your chains?

JSwigga

I took your advice and knocked the rakers down to .050.  But kept everything else standard with the stock 27rx chain.  I'm still trying to think of a way to incorporate a water drip system.  Have you done any recent mods?  I saw your throttle extension and the tool tray. 
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

logboy

I love the tool tray and throttle extension I made.  A definite must in my opinion. 

I put the nose roller kit on after the nose sprocket froze.  I'm having mixed feelings about it.  It seems to wear fast (and costs $50).

I keep a gallon jug of water on the tool tray at all times. I splash the bar at the end of every cut and a little on the chain here and there if its heating up while I cut.  I swapped out the crappy California carb and put a regular one on so it will actually idle like its supposed to and not die after 5 seconds.  Pull starting a 16 horse engine 40 times a day is no fun.

sigidi

I don't wanna hijack your thread Logboy - I added a water feed to my first lucas slabbing bar. I'll hunt up pics and try add it to https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,60602.msg887821.html#msg887821  ;) 8)

logboy

No worries, feel free to hijack! Do you have a special jig or anything for speeding up the chain swapping process?

dboyt

Hi, J.R.  I didn't make the connection of who you are.  Outstanding log!  See you at the Shoot-Out.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Seaman

Logboy, is the chain swapping process different between a dedicated slabber and the attachment? It only takes about two minutes to change the chain on my slabber
Also, is it the dedicated slabber that lets you cut six feet or is your mill frame wider than mine?  My slabber is only 5 feet.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

logboy

The dedicated slabber also cuts 60". To get bigger you have to jump up to the super slabber.  Swapping chains is probably a bit easier with two hands. I'm going to experiment with some rare earth magnets or maybe a jig to try and speed up the process.

logboy

sigidi

Quote from: logboy on August 22, 2013, 11:35:29 AM
The dedicated slabber also cuts 60". To get bigger you have to jump up to the super slabber.  Swapping chains is probably a bit easier with two hands. I'm going to experiment with some rare earth magnets or maybe a jig to try and speed up the process.

Mate, I reckon you are right, having a pair of hands would make it a touch easier, but I try to fit it to the nose first, (your nose being the roller may ocate a bit easier) then the sprocket, wind the tensioner 5 full turns, then locate the chain in the bar groove, I don't bother trying to place it in the bar groove until it has a bit of tension on it, then keep tensioning until its ready to go.

Have changed computers, still trying to find all my pics, but I'll see what i can do, it was so simple you are gonna cry, took all of 15 mins  ;D

logboy

I have the bigger sprocket on my slabber now to spin the chain faster. In combination with the nose roller, there isnt a ton of slack on the chain. The motor has to be up against the frame to get a chain on. I have to get the chain in the bar about 2/3 of the bar length before the chain will go around the sprocket, and even then its tight. If I had something to hold the chain up in the middle to simply hook it over the sprocket and tighten, it would go much faster. I'm going to start with magnets. Mabe a simple plywood jig bolted on underneath if that doesnt work..

Seaman

Logboy, I'll engage my brain first next time, my bad. Never had to think of doing it one handed!

Maybe a narrow piece of plywood that the chain can lay on, then suspend plywood just under the bar. Magnets glued to the bottom of plywood might keep the chain in place while moving the plywood around. Come to think of it, magnets on the top of the plywood could hold the plywood to the bottom of the bar.

I thought I saw that you were slabbing six feet wide, I must have misread.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Nomad

Quote from: logboy on August 22, 2013, 07:00:24 PM
I have the bigger sprocket on my slabber now to spin the chain faster. In combination with the nose roller, there isnt a ton of slack on the chain. The motor has to be up against the frame to get a chain on. I have to get the chain in the bar about 2/3 of the bar length before the chain will go around the sprocket, and even then its tight. If I had something to hold the chain up in the middle to simply hook it over the sprocket and tighten, it would go much faster. I'm going to start with magnets. Mabe a simple plywood jig bolted on underneath if that doesnt work..

Logboy, have you thought about a couple of cheap plastic clamps?  The "A" shape ones that work like oversize clothespins.  Put the chain in the groove, slip the clamp over it to hold it, and move on.  Quick and easy.  The smallest size you can get at Harbor Freight or the box stores is big enough.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

sigidi

Mate you need an "urquhart clip" was thinking about it while slabbing yesterday...

A few years back a customer made me a set of three, the idea at the time was to leave the chain on the attachment to save time when putting it on and off - didn't work as I figured the chain would get damaged while transporting and also wasn't a good idea having a bit of sawchain attached to a bar so you could catch your fingers on it...

Slid my finger across the top of the chain while I was sharpening chains on Sunday lol - reckon I did on ok job on filing the cutter  ;D it took a nice rectangular shaped slither of skin right off my finger - you can just see the edges of it started to bleed after pressure was taken off for the pic

logboy

Those look like they  would be handy.  I used a couple small spring clamps last night and it did speed up the process a little. I'll have to keep experimenting. 

GAB

Kinda glad to see I'm not the only one that signs his work in blood.  However in my case being on blood thinners it's usually a lot messier.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

thecfarm

logboy,thank you for serving our great country. I am sorry that you got hurt.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logboy

Thank you for the kind words.

Hey sigidi what kind of wheel do you grind your chains with? I just upgraded mine to a CBN wheel and I'm kicking myself for not doing it earlier. No more heated up teeth or having the profile constantly change on the wheel. And wow does it sharpen fast and leave an excellent edge.

sigidi

Mate, I don't ever touch my chains with a wheel - always a file. Regardless of if its for my two 24" chainsaws or the slabbing attachment, 3 skip, 5 skip, single skip on chainsaws or full compliment on C/s ;)

dgdrls

Thank you for your service and well done L.B.   smiley_thumbsup

best DGDrls

Thank You Sponsors!