iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Keeping Timbers Clean and Free of Damage?

Started by Knot_Head, August 13, 2013, 11:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knot_Head

For you guys sawing timber frame timbers etc. How do you keep the timber clean and free of any damage if they want rough-sawn faces? Meaning they will not plane them and surface them, they are going to use them as is. Obviously you would want to flip the cant on the sawmill by hand to keep it from getting damaged by the log turner but what else can you do? How do you handle getting the timber off the sawmill without damaging it? Is a forklift the best option?
I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.
—Abraham Lincoln

drobertson

knothead, I use the clamp for flipping the cants, and rollers for moving them off the mill. Fork lift to load and ship.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Knot_Head

I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.
—Abraham Lincoln

Jim_Rogers

I lift my timbers up off the mill saw table with the taper rollers that are built in. And then lift them off the rollers with my forklift. No special treatment other than that.
Keep your forks clean of dirt and you should be good to go.
I usually roll my timbers with a "sawyer's favorite" cant hook at the ends where the hook marks will be cut off when the make tenons and such on the ends.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!