The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Baltic Abrasives Technologies Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Author Topic: New here looking for advice  (Read 2482 times)

Offline amgont75

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
New here looking for advice
« on: August 20, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »
Hi all,

My name is Andrew and I am like most people on here looking for advice in how to start up in this industry.  I live in Arizona and am looking for get a portable mill and kiln.  I know most of  you are thinking....aren't there only palm trees and sand in Arizona?  well to be honest yes in my area there is.  But n the north and south of Arizona there is Pine and Ironwood. 

I would just like to hear thoughts from you guys about what you think about trying this around Phoenix.  There are a few larger mills that specialize in Pine here.  If you live in the area even better since you would know the market.  I am mostly looking to saw, dry, and maybe mold or finish it for the furniture quality lumber.

Sorry for a short and choppy start to this.  I am sure you will have questions to ask and I will be happy to answer all I know.

Thanks,

Andrew
Andrew From Arizona

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: New here looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 04:45:43 PM »
Howdy, and I hope you find some good info Andrew, if there is pine the mills will come,  some good info is surely soon to come,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 05:04:20 PM »
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
A good place to hang out and for us to hear about your venture into milling. The ponderosa pine to the north should make great sawing, if you can get some logs down to your area. Others will chime in and know the availability of logs on the market.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Deese

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 05:08:59 PM »
Hey Andrew,
Welcome to the forum. I am new to the forum as well. The folks on here are extremely nice and eager to help.
I am new to the world of sawmilling, otherwise I would be glad to help!
Good luck!
'04 LT40HDD51

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 05:24:41 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  I look forward to some of the responses here.

Offline amgont75

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 06:43:00 PM »
Thanks guy already reading old posts and learning a lot.  Hope to find people with knowledge of the Arizona market.
Andrew From Arizona

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 06:55:51 PM »
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Andrew!

Lots of good info in all that reading!  :P
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.

Offline Sixacresand

• Senior Member x2
  • John and Nancy
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 08:53:51 PM »
Welcome to the Forum.  With the low humidity in the South West, I wonder if you could get by with air drying your lumber.   Looking forward to your posts.

Offline Migal

• I'm new! But Old as Dirt!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 09:06:26 PM »
Welcome to the FF  8) Im sure mesquite buckeye  might have some advice on Arizona Lumber JMO enjoy your endeavor  :)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" Logrite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 09:18:47 PM »
amgont75,welcome to the forum.AZ? Any wood workers around Phoenix? Might be able to sell them wood for projects?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline amgont75

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 09:26:14 PM »
There are many woodworkers around in the area.  I would have to get set up and have the wood ready to sell which wouldn't be too hard.  A lot of cabinet makers, home builders, furniture makers, even hobbyists.  I just have to get my name out there and my services.  Also need to know what wood they use and see if I can get the logs at a competitive rate to have a chance with the supply houses.  Nice thing is a few of the supply houses list their prices that I can see. So I know roughly what the going rate is at retail end.  But I am so green in this field and want to learn.  I also want this to be a full time business and not a hobby.  So any feedback would be great.

Thanks again all,

Andrew
Andrew From Arizona

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 09:40:44 PM »
WDH is the man when it come to selling to wood workers. He will be along sometime.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 10:06:39 PM »
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, amgont75.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • Take Steps to Save Steps
    • Share Post
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 10:58:38 PM »
Glad to have you here.   8)
YH
HobbyHardwoodAlabama.com

Offline mesquite buckeye

• Senior Member x2
  • Trees are good- even ones with stickers
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 11:34:59 PM »
Oh, there you are. ;D

Welcome to the forum. I mostly mill mesquite in AZ. If you live in Phoenix, you should get in contact with the tree service guys. They are always removing trees and have to pay to dump them. Instant logs for free. You might have to convince them not to cut them all up into 2 ft lengths. You should be able to get aleppo pines, eucalyptus, mesquite, acacia, african sumac, sycamore and who know what else in your area if you are willing to be brave. Be aware that it may be easier to produce lumber than to sell it. Just sayin'. I cut up some red gum eucalyptus about 20 years ago thinking I would get rich on it. The stuff is absolutely gorgeous, extremely challenging to dry, and twists, curls and collapses when drying. Good luck getting woodworkers to try it. Once they do, though, they will be back. I am building the floor in my house with it, since I have sold maybe 1% of what I made. I think I will be using it all up myself. Too bad for those other guys.

Outside of urban wood, getting access to stands of timber worth cutting except on private land has a high PITA factor. I hope this is of some help.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Offline mesquite buckeye

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 11:37:38 PM »
And if you are just a little patient, you don't need a kiln in AZ. The wood will dry to 5-7% with just air.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Offline amgont75

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 12:03:03 AM »
Is that using no kiln at all or a solar kiln?  I would love to hair dry lumber to save on money but during the summer wouldn't the lumber dry too fast for the wood?
Andrew From Arizona

Offline mesquite buckeye

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 12:13:34 AM »
You can control drying rates with tarps, cloth, whatever. You can even wet the pile if it really starts to get away from you. It is only a problem in the hottest, driest months of the year and with certain, collapse and check prone species.

Offline Migal

• I'm new! But Old as Dirt!
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 12:21:38 AM »
Is that using no kiln at all or a solar kiln?  I would love to hair dry lumber to save on money but during the summer wouldn't the lumber dry too fast for the wood?

Im not in AZ but do know wood is going to equilibrium with its surroundings but the wood mb suggested is very dry even when alive so different sparks for different fart's err different area's requirements for different types of wood due to the area it is in I see this all the time on this forum and very seldom chime in due to the fact that This is a great place but also take's a bit of common sense too! That being said not a lot of difference between Spalted and Rot to me but don't reckon there is much spalting occurring in AZ LOL but it is beautiful to see what nature has left for us to display with pride!
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" Logrite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Offline mesquite buckeye

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 12:25:46 AM »
We get spalted mesquite logs, but nobody wants to pay for them. :(

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Need a Little Help/ Advice....

Started by Dewey on Sawmills and Milling

25 Replies
Last post November 26, 2015, 09:43:59 PM
by Dewey
xx
need advice

Started by lord_kenwolf on Sawmills and Milling

26 Replies
Last post January 29, 2007, 08:58:13 PM
by leweee