iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you ever be too careful?

Started by ATLGA, August 29, 2013, 12:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATLGA

We kiln dry all our lumber with a heat treatment at 160 to finish. We just recently got a load of logs with some Powder Post Beatles and my partner with a background in the tree service industry wants to spray the logs with Cyfluthrin or Bifen. He hates those things and says we shouldn't let them survive any part of processing.
Thoughts ?? :P :P :P
Thanks fellas!!! 
America First.

Ianab

The heat in the kiln will kill the bugs better than any spray, and no chance of chemical residue causing issues later on.

Also, PBB beetles only infest dry wood, they don't attack green logs. You may have bugs in the green logs, but they are a different species, and will probably die as the wood dries. The kiln just makes this 100% certain.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

dboyt

Quote from: Ianab on August 29, 2013, 12:28:57 PM
The heat in the kiln will kill the bugs better than any spray, and no chance of chemical residue causing issues later on.

Also, PBB beetles only infest dry wood, they don't attack green logs. You may have bugs in the green logs, but they are a different species, and will probably die as the wood dries. The kiln just makes this 100% certain.

Ian

I agree with Ian.  If you can hold 160, you'll kill whatever is in the wood.  No need for chemical treatment.  I'm not familiar with the chemicals you named... do they penetrate through the entire board?  I've had PPB in the house and believe me, I hate 'em too!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

drobertson

If this chemical is proven, and your business partner wants to do it, then I would say do it, if it is cost effective. I don't know too many of us that saw that like any bugs, they are a nuisance, I know I will douse logs that are known to harbor ants with a good mix of soap water, just to keep them from the mill and area in general.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Tom the Sawyer

If you treat lumber with anything aren't you required to label each product with MSDS info or something similar?  Like those little tags stapled to the end of every pressure treated board you buy?
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

ATLGA

Hey fellas thanks for all the input. We haven't decided to use the chems yet. I just wanted to see what other minds thought about it. We dont have any problem heat treating the wood. I think my partner just wants to be proactive and has a background in treating trees that have these bugs.
America First.

dboyt

Last summer, it was so hot here in Missouri, I think the trees were heat treated on the stump.  Unfortunately, a lot of trees died, but the bugs didn't.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Migal

Quote from: dboyt on August 30, 2013, 09:52:54 AM
Last summer, it was so hot here in Missouri, I think the trees were heat treated on the stump.  Unfortunately, a lot of trees died, but the bugs didn't.
I would have to say in East Texas that statement is true also.
I treat my lumber while sawing with diesel fuel as a lube.  ;D
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Thank You Sponsors!