iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Here

Started by etroup10, September 01, 2013, 08:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etroup10

Hey everyone! I'm new here, but I have been reading quite a bit on the forum. We have a few acres that we are going to get cut in the near future and I plan on sawing it. Its primarily poplar, but there is some nice oak, pine, and a little bit of ash, birch, maple, hemlock and basswood. I estimate we have around 40 mbf on the property, a lot of the trees range from 15-20" dbh, some up to 25". They are also tall and straight, I'm thinking around 4-16' logs for most of the trees(see pictures below). I also happen to have a friend of mine who is a logger move in just down the road, so when I do get the trees cut I will get a pretty good price.

I don't have a mill yet, but I am planning to get an EZ Boardwalk Jr. hopefully sometime soon. Once I get the mill I plan on selling the stuff we saw from our property to a very large, local kiln drying business. They buy oak, poplar and some other species(Oak and poplar is the majority of what I will saw) and my brother-in-law(works at the business) said they have free pick up with in 10 miles(its about 5 miles away). After sawing the stuff from our property I am considering cutting railroad ties. The same logger friend of mine said that a truck load of tie material would cost between $1000-$1200. He also said that 7"x9" ties were going for $28 a piece. Assuming 75 logs a load, and that 15% of those logs won't make ties, there would still be some room for profit, plus the side boards. Something else to mention is that the rail road tie company is maybe 10 miles from my house. So getting the ties there wouldn't be all that costly. I will also be able to do a good bit of sawing for another friend of mine. He owns a wood shavings business. They have been getting in a good bit of clear pine(he once estimated he had around 18 mbf of clear pine) but they are still shredding it up. He told me that if I get a mill I could come over and mill all their clear pine for them, plus use their equipment(wheel loader and skid loader).

I'd Love to hear what you guys have to say about it all!

-Eric

NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

GAmillworker

Welcome etroup10.

great first post we love pics

sounds like you have a good bit of work ahead of you

those are some nice looking trees
Thank the Lord for second chances

Banjo picker

Welcome to the forum.  Sounds like you have done got yourself talked into a mill... Just beware the tie market can be very fickle...  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, etroup10.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Hello etroup10, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Howdy, time and patience is the only answer to sawing,   nice pics too!   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

garyfg

If you don't need the money I would not cut a single tree. The view down the road is worth more than money can buy. I cut out my timber about 20 years ago and now when I take my son and grandson on atv rides I want to kick myself and sometimes worse. Do what you want to do but 20 years from now remember I told you so. Go to Lowes and get what you need and leave your beautiful forrest for you and your kids to enjoy.

WDH

If you are going to be sawing commercially (i.e railroad ties), a small manual mill like the one that you are thinking about is not the best mill for that activity.  Way too much log handling and work.  If you are going that route, you should consider a hydraulic mill.  Your productivity with a small manual mill probably will not be enough for you to make it financially competing in the tie market. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

etroup10

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

etroup10

Quote from: garyfg on September 01, 2013, 09:53:25 PM
If you don't need the money I would not cut a single tree. The view down the road is worth more than money can buy. I cut out my timber about 20 years ago and now when I take my son and grandson on atv rides I want to kick myself and sometimes worse. Do what you want to do but 20 years from now remember I told you so. Go to Lowes and get what you need and leave your beautiful forrest for you and your kids to enjoy.

Well the money I get from sawing is going to be going to pay off college(I'm a senior right now). The other thing I am concerned about is that we will lose the trees completely if we don't cut them. We won't be clear cutting either, probably just take everything over 12". I've found a few poplars that died recently but are still standing. We also lost most of our hemlock due to wooly adelgid(which brought down a few nice poplar and birch). Our neighbors to the west also timbered off just a few years back, so I'm also afraid of a higher chance of blow downs because of that.

etroup10

Quote from: WDH on September 01, 2013, 10:14:52 PM
If you are going to be sawing commercially (i.e railroad ties), a small manual mill like the one that you are thinking about is not the best mill for that activity.  Way too much log handling and work.  If you are going that route, you should consider a hydraulic mill.  Your productivity with a small manual mill probably will not be enough for you to make it financially competing in the tie market.

I agree that it will be a lot of work, probably more work than I think  :D But I'm hoping that by the time I get our property cut I will have made a little money, and hopefully be able to build some sort of hydraulics like hackberryjake on his ez boardwalk jr. I had talked to an amish guy with the jr. and he said he had been cutting ties and did alright with them(he had no equipment or hydraulics). So I figure it would be worth a shot to try, especially if I can build some hydraulics for the mill. I'm on a budget right now being in college, and I hope to get a lot of sawing done over my winter break(mid-December through the end of January).

justallan1

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Etroup.
Sounds like you have a plan to work towards with a few possibilities. Good luck.

Allan

m wood

welcome etroup10.  sounds like you are set up in a location with good resources, on the land and off of the land.  With all those networks and close locations for salse you could experience low(er) overhead.  Ever thought of borrowing a bit to go for a larger/faster mill?  seems like you got the recipe for a DanG nice business plan to present to the Chamber of Commerce for maybe a micro loan.  just a thought.  Whats your degree gonna be in?  We love to hear about newcomers here :laugh:
Mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum etroup10! Good luck with your project.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

dboyt

Etroup10, welcome to the forum.  Looks like you've got a beautiful place!  Look closely at the tie market before you commit.  Can you visit the Amish fellow who is cutting them on a manual mill?  You'll need some support equipment, mainly a loader that can pick up bundles of 10 ties (about a ton and a half) at a time, and a trailer to haul them to the yarding area.  I milled hardwood ties on a manual mill for a while, it it is a lot of work... hope you're in good shape!  Lots of sawmills will be at the Paul Bunyan show in Cambridge, OH in about a month.  That'll be a good place to see them in action.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

etroup10

Quote from: m wood on September 02, 2013, 05:38:42 AM
welcome etroup10.  sounds like you are set up in a location with good resources, on the land and off of the land.  With all those networks and close locations for salse you could experience low(er) overhead.  Ever thought of borrowing a bit to go for a larger/faster mill?  seems like you got the recipe for a DanG nice business plan to present to the Chamber of Commerce for maybe a micro loan.  just a thought.  Whats your degree gonna be in?  We love to hear about newcomers here :laugh:
Mark

Thanks! I've "thought" of getting a bigger, faster mill but I just can't let myself put that much money into it at this point. My degree will be in Environmental Biology. I'd like to get a job with the state as a field biologist but I'm also considering taking forestry classes at another school(penn state) after I graduate and maybe becoming a forester?

etroup10

Quote from: dboyt on September 02, 2013, 07:27:14 AM
Etroup10, welcome to the forum.  Looks like you've got a beautiful place!  Look closely at the tie market before you commit.  Can you visit the Amish fellow who is cutting them on a manual mill?  You'll need some support equipment, mainly a loader that can pick up bundles of 10 ties (about a ton and a half) at a time, and a trailer to haul them to the yarding area.  I milled hardwood ties on a manual mill for a while, it it is a lot of work... hope you're in good shape!  Lots of sawmills will be at the Paul Bunyan show in Cambridge, OH in about a month.  That'll be a good place to see them in action.

Thanks! I got to visit the Amish fellow last weekend. For support equipment I was thinking an older tractor with a loader, like maybe a Ford 8N. My neighbor actually has a 1950s Massey Ferguson 250 with a loader for sale right now. Do you think either of them would work? As of now, I've gotten to see a few mills run, including the EZ Boardwalk jr, woodmizer mills, timbery mills, hud-son mills and lucas mills. From what I've seen I like the jr. Its a good price and a lot sturdier than the hud-son mills.

Migal

:)
Welcome to the forum  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

John_Haylow

Welcome to the forum. You have some nice looking trees there.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

dboyt

An 8N with a loader can do a lot more than you'd think, especially if you hang a PTO winch off the back of it.  Besides giving the old Ford more pulling power, the weight helps keep the rear wheels on the ground when you're using the front end loader.  Max lift is about 600 pounds before you lose traction with the rear wheels, which can make carrying logs downhill pretty exciting.  A log arch really expands the pulling ability of the tractor.  I'm very pleased with the Norwood mill, by the way.  They're a sponsor, and you can click on their banner on the left side of the screen for more info.

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

etroup10

Thanks for the info on the 8N dboyt! I was hoping that it might be able to move a bundle of rr ties. I would still probably get one to make log handling easier to/on the mill. Do you think it could lift a stack of stickered boards? Earlier you mentioned the Paul Bunyan show, turns out I might be making my way out there. I talked to Ed from EZ boardwalk and he said if I do buy one of there mills, I could pick it up after the show and not have to pay any shipping. Overall it would save me a couple hundred bucks to do it that way.

beenthere

QuoteDo you think it could lift a stack of stickered boards?

Might figure about 5 lbs a board foot, and the 8N limit on the FEL was said to be about 600 lbs. So maybe 120 bd ft. in the stack if red oak ??

If 8' boards 1" thick boards, stickered in 4' wide pile, 32 bd ft per layer or 160 lbs. So just shy of 4 layers would be 600 lbs.

For a log, a red oak, 14" scaling diam 10' log will be nearly 700 lbs
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

etroup10

So maybe it would be better then to save up for something that has a little more lifting capacity? A rough terrain forklift or a bigger tractor with a FEL would be nice. If I can continue to saw for my friend and use there equipment I should be able to save up for something nice later. Any ideas about using light equipment to simply move the stacks/ties around, not necessarily lifting them to stack but just moving them out of the way? I was thinking maybe a smallish cart, with maybe 2 manual hydraulic jacks in the middle and a 4' square piece of steel on top of the jacks to put the boards on. You could then stack your boards/ties on top with the jacks all the way up, then drive between logs/cinder blocks and lower the jacks. The lumber would then rest on the logs/cinder blocks and you could just pull away. Would that be doable on a budget?

Thank You Sponsors!