iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help,Drying out floor joist,

Started by bama20a, September 02, 2013, 10:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bama20a

On a room that was made into a sun room,That was just a covered deck with tile on it for several years,after building the walls The tile was removed & then they discovered,that the sub floor is wet,They have a solid foundation with no vents what so ever,So the floor joist is very wet.
Are they a way to dry them out quickly,they don't want to have to replace them if there is any way around it.HELP HELP,  :o Mark,,,,,

It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

beenthere

If wet for very long, I'd suspect that rot has already set in (depending on the species of wood).

But open it up, get a lot of air moving through there night and day, and hope for the best results in a couple weeks or a month. Adding heat will help, if that is possible or probable.

What more can you tell us about it... species, sub floor, floor joist size
pics would be great.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bama20a

Thanks for the respond, The sub floor has been torn out (last night) to be honest I have not seen it,It's my son's In-Laws. The floor joints are 2x8's,Pine,He said that are still solid just wet.
As of now they have fans on it,I'll see about heat.thanks again,Mark,,,,
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Rent a portable heater that is shaped like a bullet and that will dry them in a day or two.  Then, put plastic down on the soil to cover it 100%.  Then cut some holes for ventilation.  If this involves a building inspection, the code official may require a certain amount of venting.  I would also spray the pieces with a bleach-water solution to kill any mold or mildew on them.  Note that because they are drying, avoid putting on a floor as it will squeak...use adhesive to glue plywood or subfloor on.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!