iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

delta uni-saw, need parts

Started by sap retreiver, September 02, 2013, 06:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sap retreiver

Hey guys, as it says I have a 1947 delta uni-saw. I need a rip fence and a miter gauge. does the newer styles fit and where can i find any of this? To make it original would break the bank, the tubes are there for the fence but the one price I found was way to much for me!  One other thing, on occasion the blade doesnt want to start tunrning. Any ideas?  Thanks for anything, Brian

beenthere

QuoteOne other thing, on occasion the blade doesnt want to start tunrning.

Motor problem maybe?
How about this video that talks a bit about the motor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pshGOUg0hG0
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brad_bb

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Larry

The original fence for the Delta Unisaw (and contractor saws) was the Jet Lock fence.  It comes in three versions.  The only real difference is the first ones had a steel fence and the later ones, I guess early eighties and later had an aluminum extruded fence.  I like the steel fence better but there is no difference in actual operation.

The fence has some quirks that most woodworkers don't like.  It wiggles around a bit as it is locked down.  My first real job some 45 years ago was running a Unisaw 40 hours a week cutting precision plastic parts.  I got to understand the quirks and how to work around them.  Slightly lock the fence and move it only one direction towards the blade, than lock it completely when on your mark.  If you go past the mark you will have to move the fence well to the right and start over.

You can probably get an original fence and miter gauge on OWWM.com.  You will have to join and place a wanted to buy add in there classified section.  They usually don't bring much money.  Good place to read up on restoring a Unisaw also.

New replacement fences are the Delta Unifence and Biesemeyer fence.  Most preferred is the Biesemeyer.  I suppose one reason is because it's easier to add attachments like feather boards.  I have had both.  At present my saw wears a Unifence.  There are also aftermarket miter gauges...expensive and I don't know much about them.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sap retreiver

Thank you guys. That's a big help and the videos were pretty good, I might just restore mine now.

Thank You Sponsors!