iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Housing starts for the really privelaged

Started by timberlinetree, September 08, 2013, 07:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

Got a call other day to take a look at a clearing job in Avon Ct. (It's been awhile) On My way down past all the vacant houses(counted 8) and the one middle sized home being built. I thought this was going to be just another house lot. not so! As I drove up the road i started seeing mansions most likely built in 2006 area. Then I hit new pavement and could not believe my eyes! 20 or more mansions being built just finished being built and just being started at around 500k to 1.5 million!!!look like 2006 with everyone doing everything. I will admit that it is shocking and makes me little envious(not that I want a mansion)but some new tires for the skidder and fridge would be nice. Seems like this economy is for the really rich and really poor(just visit wal mart who takes ebt cards packed) so what about the hard WORKING class!!! Hope things are going better in other parts of the country.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

timberlinetree

Oops walking guy is supposed to be number 8! Sorry

florida

Ct has the most expensive real estate in America. Those are just middle class homes there.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

nk14zp

Quote from: timberlinetree on September 08, 2013, 07:03:04 AM
I will admit that it is shocking and makes me little envious(not that I want a mansion)but some new tires for the skidder and fridge would be nice.
Where would you mount the fridge on your skidder?
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

DaleK

Quote from: nk14zp on September 08, 2013, 11:07:16 AM
Quote from: timberlinetree on September 08, 2013, 07:03:04 AM
I will admit that it is shocking and makes me little envious(not that I want a mansion)but some new tires for the skidder and fridge would be nice.
Where would you mount the fridge on your skidder?

The way I read it the tires are for the fridge, maybe he's going to tow it behind the skidder?
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

timberlinetree

We work hard 5-6 and sometimes 7days a week just to try to cover the necessities is what I was trying to say... A fridge in the skidder would be nice, along with a t.v. and stereo. :D

timberlinetree

Forgot to mention our fridge just broke at home too!

timberlinetree

Dave VH

right now in my area, most new home starts are about 500k
I cut it twice and it's still too short

axe

:) Hang on boys, all those mansions are really good news. The rich and famous are going to create a really good lumber market for us.

Peter Drouin

And the reason for all the new mansion.all the trades have no work so the rich are building like crazy and if you want work you better be the low low low low low bidder. And then they will beat you up on the price or want more work for nothing. Or try to reduce the price when your 1/2 way done that's what I hear from my friends.
I's bad
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Okrafarmer

I have a feeling it's a last desperate attempt to make something happen for each builder and developer's personal economy. The way I see it, they are actually thinning out the market-- ie, building more houses than people can afford. I wonder how many of those homes are spec houses.

I was told recently by a friend in the roofing business that Birmingham AL is where the booming's at these days. . . .
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Carpenter

Actually things are pretty good here.  Of course the swings are always bigger on the coasts or so I've heard.  Commodity prices are high and as this is an agricultural area folks who seldom haven't had much money for years have money and are building.  I'm talking about average working class farmers and ranchers. 
     I started as an independent contractor in 2008 partly due to the stock market crash.  People were scared to do anything and the guy I was working for lost a lot of business.  I didn't get fired by the way, at about the same time he was losing business I started to pick up business and one thing just led to another.  About to put another record year in the books with no end in sight.  I think it would be really fun to work during a real building boom. 
     My point about the swings on the coast being bigger is that things here aren't ever really good.  When things on the coasts are good things here are mediocre.  When things on the coasts are bad things here are mediocre.  But, right now they're looking pretty good.  Kind of nice really.

Tom L

there are some big homes in this area also. I can never figure out how they can afford the taxes

most of the tax bills are 20-50g per year. property taxes.

how can so many people make so much money to afford 2-4g a month in tax!!!

and the rate in conn is more than here.

simply amazes me

Ed_K

because the house's are being bought by oversea's buyer's.
Ed K

timberlinetree

Really makes my day to hear the ranchers and farmers are doing well. They deserve it! Just had to lend our only neighbor $500 to stay afloat (had to dip to my savings- don't have all that much to lend!) I talked to my brother in VA who is a land surveyor and he's real busy marking timber tracks and big homes. Also, my brother-in-law who owns a high end timber frame company/sawmill is doing real well. Building a real big one out in TN. I'm just gonna keep on trying to cut corners when I can and life is good! We got a new fridge ( cheapo model) and everyone's healthy ;D

Thank You Sponsors!