iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw Planer - worth anything?

Started by Ljohnsaw, September 20, 2013, 05:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

So, how much is a Belsaw planer model 905 worth, assuming the blades are good or could be sharpened?  Would it be useful in planing down boards for  a cabin?  Would it hold up better than a bench top (Dewalt, etc)?  It has a monstrous 3-phase motor on it (so its old) that I would need to replace.  Any guess as to the size motor it would need? 2HP enough?

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Corley5

I've got one that I think is just like it.  Good machine.  It's planed a LOT of lumber.  Green, dry, hardwood, softwood.  The gears that run the feed works are a weak point.  Mines had an extra motor and belt added to run the feed after the gears failed.  It's a lot more machine than a lunchbox planer  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

grweldon

Probably more than a 2HP motor as well, explaining the 3-phase.  I would think 5HP min...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Jim_Rogers

See if there is a tag on the 3 phase motor. And you could see what motor it could/would convert to.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Ljohnsaw

Well, I took a drive to go look at it today.  The motor is very big but also VERY old.  No plate stating what size it is, but wired for 3-phase.  The old paper wound wires.  I've seen old motors bigger than this that were only 2 or 3 HP.  Total machine weight I'd estimate at 250 to 300 pounds!  They were asking $250 or offer.  So I offered $100.  They countered $150 since the motor would be worth at least $50 in scrap.  I said, fine, keep the motor and I'll give you $100 - SOLD.

The drive gears are pretty much pristine - I don't see any wear on them, no chips, etc.  I could not visually inspect the blades but gave them a good feel.  All three are razor sharp and one has two nicks.  We dis-assembled and dropped the motor on an old lawnmower deck - now its electric! :D Just need a long 3-phase extension cord.  The frame was pretty easy to move but the head still had some heft to it.  Looking forward to powering it up with a 2hp motor I have laying around.  Might even use a DC motor off an industrial treadmill - they have really good torque and are variable speed.  Maybe I should put a 6hp Briggs on it and make it portable!
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

beenthere

Good on the deal.
Look forward to seeing you get it up and running, planing some boards soon.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

Apparently, the 905 is very rare - no one seems to have an owner's manual!  I found a single page describing adjustments and such and a second page where you could turn it into a edge joiner (adding a table to the top).  The page says 2hp for softwoods and 3hp for hardwoods.  I'll be doing soft so I'll stick my 2hp on there and give it a go.

The next model up, 910, has the ability to add a edge cutting blade so you can rip and plane in one simple, power-fed operation!  They also show standing boards on edge to do tongue and groove - pretty scary looking!!

Corley5, do you have a manual you could scan for me?
John Sawicky

Corley5

I just may have one but it'll be a bit before I can search for it.  The file cabinet it would be in is inaccessible due to ongoing home renovations  ;) ;D  I'll have to take a closer look at mine too and see if it has a model # on it  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

grweldon

I would have jumped all over that for $100 and been happy for years!  Good job!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Shoot, I'll give you $125 for it without the motor...

Herb

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on September 24, 2013, 09:51:21 AM
Shoot, I'll give you $125 for it without the motor...

Herb

Ummmm... smiley_confused , no :D  I think I'll keep it!  Got some cleaning to do and put some wheels on the stand so I can move the darn thing!
John Sawicky

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

PC-Urban-Sawyer

shipping???

I was gonna pick it up in my little gmc Sonoma...

Herb

Barebuttminer

So you're the rascal that beat me to it. Seen this on Crags List in Sacramento but when I called/E-mail about it they said it was gone.
From the add:
A couple car guys own this thing and we can't figure out how plain a fender or a cylinder head in it so we are selling it. If you like it or know more about it by the pictures I welcome your comments. $250.00 Offers? Trade for car stuff?

Even without the motor I think you got one hell of a deal.
BBM

PS: I know of a saw shop in Sac that can sharpen the blades on your new/old planer. They do all my hand saws. PM me if you want their address.
Wood-Mizer LT15, John Deer 450C Dozer, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Stihl 009

Ljohnsaw

BBM,

Yeah, the ad was up for a while.  He had several people interested but they shied away when they saw the 3-phase motor.  Spent the afternoon cleaning all the rust and dirt off the stand - 3/16" angle all the way around.  Trimmed off the bottom shelf to shed some weight and painted it.  Adding 5" casters so I can move it.  Tomorrow I'll clean up the planner and paint it grey
John Sawicky

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Let me know when the paint's dry and I'll swing by and pick it up.

Herb

Ljohnsaw

Herb,

The paint is dry  8)

You saw the before picture above.  The stand is made from 3/16" 1-1/2" angle.  The stand and 3-phase power switch weighed in at 115 pounds  ::)  I cut this piece off the bottom of the stand and shed 32 pounds and the power switch another 15 pounds.

Then I cleaned off all the rust and gunk -

Now it looks like this:

The motor I have that I thought was 2hp is only 1hp.  It has a hard time spinning up but did a fair job on some rough redwood fence boards.  Runs pretty quiet compared to my lunch box planner.  Need to sharpen the blades and wax the tables.  I do have a 3hp 230v motor that may be good (off a compressor).  That would make it sing!

The stand I brush painted with "Aluminum" Rustoleum.  The machine I was painting with gloss grey Rustoleum but ran out.  I went to my local Ace and they wanted $6.99 for a rattle can!  So I bought their brand of "Light Grey", which was a better match to the original paint.  (the drips by the scale are original - should have sanded them out...)
John Sawicky

Satamax

LJohnsaw, my two cents worth. Make a shelf at the bottom, above the wheels, and put some weight there, so it doesn't tip over.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

jueston

that thing sure is pretty now... you did some fine work restoring it....

HouseWhisperer

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would toss some info out there on Belsaw 905 planers. It looks like someone has picked up Belsaw as they have a website at www.Belsaw.com where you can get parts and manuals for the old planers. I've attached the 905 manual in case anyone still needs it. It has exploded view diagrams and parts lists. I've had a 905 in my shop for years and it has served me well. Now that I've found a source for parts I'll install a new set of knives and a new in feed roller. The one that's in the planer now probably isn't as aggressive as it should be. I tried posting a few pics of the 905 in action as well as the old Berlin 108 four-sider. They're in my gallery but they're not showing up in the post. I guess that's the most you can expect from a newby. Anyway, congrats on finding the 905 and saving another better than new machine !!!!

Ljohnsaw

Thanks!  Do you have the jointer table attachment?  If so, do you like it/use it?
John Sawicky

RedTail

I picked up a Belsaw 901 planer and need a new motor. Any suggestions where should look? I would like to get a 5hp, single  phase. Thanks. I'm beginning the restoration tomorrow, hope to share pics soon. Thanks. 

Thank You Sponsors!