Draw for handbuilt acoustic guitar get your name in

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: Finally learning to braze on new teeth.  (Read 2804 times)

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Share Post
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
Re: Finally learning to braze on new teeth.
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 09:36:38 PM »
I'll get more pics and post them. All of my blades look better than that. I don't think I have any black spots at all.
In the 8 years I've been sawing I only had to get 1 blade re-tensioned, FF member Peachy at Menominee Saw (a FF sponsor) did it, great job. That one had gotten a little hot, but no black spots. Likely letting a blade get so bad it needs to be worked too hard ruins the tension. Keep your teeth sharper and don't force it, you'll need less re-tensioning. Might also be better that my blades have 6 or 8 teeth, rather than just 5. Then each tooth is doing less work. However, I can get a bad chip or even have the end of a tooth break off and I still cut with 5, however I change the blade if I get 2 such chips or tooth tips broken off in a row.
Hammer, I did some more teeth after reading how you do it, and I added no extra braze. They still do look good, however my first sawing with that blade will be tomorrow or Saturday. Going to finish a custom sawing job Saturday. Hit lots of fence staples in the cherry butt log, somehow I set my metal detector to over look iron and steel by mistake, and didn't notice. It usually finds staples before the blade does, but not that time.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Offline maple flats

• Senior Member x2
  • Life is what you make it!
    • Share Post
    • Dave and Joan's sugarhouse web site
Re: Finally learning to braze on new teeth.
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 02:25:32 PM »
I used the 2- 6 tooth blades last weekend. 1 lost a tooth, the other all teeth held good. I now think that my tooth pocket (mating surface) may be the issue. I'm looking to design a guide to get repeatability in a perfect tooth pocket. I think maybe a roller each side of the blade in the 2 planes needed for a perfect 90 degree pocket for the tooth. This will likely need to be mounted on the hub for precise repeatability. Certainly not my forte` but I have 2 machinist friends who could do it. I think I have buggered up some of the pockets.
My last brazed tooth mentioned in the post directly before this one did not fail. The one that failed appeared to have a larger amount of added brazing rod to fill a void. Likely was a no-no.
Maybe I should have named this thread "trying to learn to braze new teeth"instead of what I named it!
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed,  Peterson ATS upgraded to WPF mill, maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Saw teeth

Started by John Woodworth on Sawmills and Milling

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2013, 09:20:07 PM
by bandmiller2
xx
MD teeth

Started by cleargrain on Sawmills and Milling

1 Replies
Last post January 02, 2009, 02:42:57 PM
by Jeff