iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Designing a new type of firewood processor

Started by deastman, September 29, 2013, 10:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deastman

I'm new to this forum board and looking for advice on a different type of firewood processor that I want to build. I would like to start a firewood business but don't want to buy an expensive processor until I see how much business i can generate. I  have a cut-to-length logging processor and forwarder and my idea is to use my processor  head to measure and cut the firewood to length and have it drop into a splitter box with a conveyor.  My processor is a 130 Samsung with a Fabtek four-roller head. I can grab the wood from off of the pile, set what ever length i want to cut it into the computer and saw it off. Want to build a splitter box for it to drop into and was wondering what size engine and pump combination I will need to run a fairly fast splitter cylinder and conveyor. I want to have an automatic splitter cycle, thinking i can run a plug in cord and use one of the extra joystick buttons I have in the cab to activate it. Has anyone ever heard of this being done before?  I think it would work great and not cost a lot to build compared to buying a complete firewood processor. My plan is to stockpile hardwood thru the winter that I cut then process it at the shop in the spring during mud season when the processor would normally sitting there any way. Any thoughts and info would be really appreciated
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

stumpjumper83

Ok, if you want to make the splitter fast your going to have to look around and get the right cylinder, standard ones are too slow for fast splitting.  Your going to need one that has a large rod diameter compared to the barrel diameter. something like a 5" bore and a 4" rod.  Due to the low volume one the retract cycle it will make the rod return very quickly.  Also if you attached the spitter to the side of your head and ran your head horizonally you wouldn't need a conveyor, you could tap into the harvester hydraulics and make it super slick, you would just have to think it thru so that you didn't make it no longer usable as a harvester. 

snowstorm

there is a you tube vid of a splitter on a 1270 tj. he had a piece bolted on the head so that the knot backing would split the wood. it only split it once and looked like it needed pretty good wood. but it did saw an split it

thecfarm

Would fuel cost be kinda pricey with a logging processor? That would a great idea. Be even better, as mentioned, to put a splitter on the head. I know some wood processor the wood kinda needs a helping hand to lay into the spitter at times. Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

North River Energy

This would be really slick with an adjustable wedge.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kBi-KQ21uw&feature=related

deastman, I'm also looking to build a remote controlled splitter, as my (firewood) processor 'only' cuts to 13", and I'd like to split the larger wood into a separate stockpile of 'overnight' blocks with minimal handling after bucking.

My loader only swings ~400deg, so I plan to trip the splitter valve solenoids with a simple control cable run through the mast.

Your splitter hydraulics, and thus speed, should be determined by your maximum diameter, and also the block size your market demands.  As in, what wedge configuration(s) maximizes your production and provides exactly what your customers want.

As stumpjumper83 mentions, take the time to find the right cylinder.  As of a few years ago, both Multitek and Built-Rite offered to sell their oversized rod cylinders outright.  If memory serves, the price on the Built-Rite was a little easier to stomach.

If you want to maximize your fuel use and time, you really do need to match the rate of split with rate of cut.

You might take a look at the control setup on the Woodbine units.  If I'm not mistaken, they use a variable displacement pump, and electric valves with limit switches at both ends for return activation of the the autocycle.

If I understood correctly, TST Hydraulics in Merrimack NH may have had a hand in that configuration? 

If you go electric, when you change the block length, you can also change the cylinder retract length, and knock a few more seconds off your splitting time.

Manual autocycle valves max out at around 25gpm, so that imposes a limit on pump size, engine hp, and turnover rate.

Good luck, and post pictures....

thecfarm

That's cool.  :D  A very simple setup. Weld about a 6 foot box over the conveyor and it would do that much better. The ideas that some people come up with. Seem to work good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

deastman

Quote from: thecfarm on September 30, 2013, 08:05:58 AM
Would fuel cost be kinda pricey with a logging processor? That would a great idea. Be even better, as mentioned, to put a splitter on the head. I know some wood processor the wood kinda needs a helping hand to lay into the spitter at times. Good luck.
I don't think fuel would be an issue as I can go 40 hrs of cutting and processing in the woods on a single tank of fuel which holds 70 gallons.  When I cut firewood with it I run the engine at less rpm because I'm not delimbing,  just running the tree thru the rollers to measure and cut it off.  The saw is fast enough so when the stick is cut off it drops straight down level. I want to use a small diesel engine on the splitter to run a pump big enough to make the cylinder fast, run an adjustable wedge and a conveyor.  I want the splitter hydraulics to be separate from the logging processor's. I have enough spare buttons on my joysticks in the cab to run the splitter functions and I'm now thinking about looking into having the splitter controls radio remote but price will be the deciding factor on that.
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

deastman

Quote from: snowstorm on September 30, 2013, 06:04:22 AM
there is a you tube vid of a splitter on a 1270 tj. he had a piece bolted on the head so that the knot backing would split the wood. it only split it once and looked like it needed pretty good wood. but it did saw an split it
I'm not sure if I have enough power in the feed rolls to force the wood thru a splitter wedge efficiently, I'm thinking the larger trees might not make it thru and then u would have to keep backing it up and trying to force it thru the wedge.

snowstorm

your head dosent have knot backing? in auto feed mode if it hits a limb it wount take off it will back up and try again. mine is adjustable as to how far it will back up. thats what the tj in the vid is doing

Corley5

My Fabtek doesn't have "knot backing" and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have enough power in the rolls to split hardwood that wasn't really nice  ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

deastman

My Fabtek doesn't have knot backing either. If you tried splitting big  or rough hardwood the feedwheels would probably spin and you would waste too much time to make it productive, in my opinion.

thecfarm

Now I can understand how that JD worked like that.

leonz

Quote from: deastman on September 29, 2013, 10:52:32 AM
I'm new to this forum board and looking for advice on a different type of firewood processor that I want to build. I would like to start a firewood business but don't want to buy an expensive processor until I see how much business i can generate. I  have a cut-to-length logging processor and forwarder and my idea is to use my processor  head to measure and cut the firewood to length and have it drop into a splitter box with a conveyor.  My processor is a 130 Samsung with a Fabtek four-roller head. I can grab the wood from off of the pile, set what ever length i want to cut it into the computer and saw it off. Want to build a splitter box for it to drop into and was wondering what size engine and pump combination I will need to run a fairly fast splitter cylinder and conveyor. I want to have an automatic splitter cycle, thinking i can run a plug in cord and use one of the extra joystick buttons I have in the cab to activate it. Has anyone ever heard of this being done before?  I think it would work great and not cost a lot to build compared to buying a complete firewood processor. My plan is to stockpile hardwood thru the winter that I cut then process it at the shop in the spring during mud season when the processor would normally sitting there any way. Any thoughts and info would be really appreciated

Dont waste your money,

As you have a brood herd of woodlot equipment and a conveyor you would be money ahead buying a Chomper super 16 fully automated firewood processor with an "adjustable 8 way splitting head that can split 12 inch blocks in 12 seconds AND IT SHEARS the wood rather than sawing it. it also has a winch to pull the logs into the shearing head and chute.

It is my opinion anyway, as you are obviously in this for the long haul.

beenthere

Ah-ha...  ;D
There is Leon promoting his chomper. ;)

Just doesn't seem that the chomper is something that is catching on, yet I like the concept of pushing a blade into wood and then using it as the block pusher through the splitting wedges.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

leonz

Download the partial owners list to see
how many of them there are out there.

My point is simply this- why reinvent the wheel
when a fully automatic super sixteen will
split 12 inch long 16 inch diameter blocks
in 12 seconds.

The man has logging machinery and a proven design
that has been around for close to thirty years has always
been there.   

John Mc

Leonz -

I've never seen a chomper in operation, and it may well be a good way to go. It certainy seems to be working for you.  However, from Deastman's original post, it seems he is looking for a way to get into this without spending a lot on new equipment, until he sees how much business he can generate.  If things take off, that may be the point at which he considers a dedicated processor.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

deastman

I talked to Chris at CRD Metalworks about what i want to build and he thinks one of his splitters might work the best for me. Would just have to rig it up so I can run the controls from the inside of my processor. That shouldn't be much of a job to design and hook up.

akwoodsman

my friend has a chomper and he sells his firewood for less than the rest of us because it isnt consistent. when its setup for 16 in blocks sometimes you get 14 in or 12 in, in auto mode. also there are a lot of splinters/ kindling hanging off of the split wood. just my 2 cents :)

r.man

I would think that in auto the last block might be any length up to 16 inches. If a chomper is doing more than one short length block per log length then servicing should fix it. As for furry firewood or pieces with splinters etc hanging on them I personally like that and frequently search for one in my woodpile if my coals are getting low. Starts up better than a smooth piece, however many people choose looks over function on a regular basis so I don't imagine firewood is any different.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Ford_man

This is just my thoughts. I would make the grate under the splitting wedge about 2 in lower than the bed of the splitter, and the ram extend past end of the bed about 2 in so the wedge can drop down after the piece is split so you can go to a smaller log without cleaning out by hand.
Good luck with the build splitwood_smiley

Thank You Sponsors!