The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Tally-I/O

Author Topic: Boots  (Read 4282 times)

Offline Woodboogah

• Share Post
    • Blue Ribbon Outdoors
Boots
« on: October 06, 2013, 10:15:49 AM »
I am curious to what people are wearing for boots.  My wife thinks I am nuts to spend the amount of money on boots that I do.  They are on me everyday most of the day so I need a comfortable boot.  I am in the market for new boots.  I was wearing labonville boots made by matterhorn.  They since discontinued the model.  They lasted me a long time and were comfortable.  I was looking into hoffman or wescos I would like to actually see them in person or try a pair on but I cant find a retailer in the area.   
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Offline Kemper

• Full Member x2
  • Go Big Blue!
    • Share Post
Re: Boots
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 10:32:12 AM »
I wear Redwings steel toed. They are more comfortable than tennis shoes. No need for cork or cleated boots in this area. About $150 a pair, I usually have two pair, one for working and one for church and then rotate when I buy a new pair

I am curious to what people are wearing for boots.  My wife thinks I am nuts to spend the amount of money on boots that I do.  They are on me everyday most of the day so I need a comfortable boot.  I am in the market for new boots.  I was wearing labonville boots made by matterhorn.  They since discontinued the model.  They lasted me a long time and were comfortable.  I was looking into hoffman or wescos I would like to actually see them in person or try a pair on but I cant find a retailer in the area.

Offline jmouton

• never enough time
    • Share Post
    • Log-Gistics
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 11:01:58 AM »
    I  do the same thing on rotating boots  too,   I  have justin  boots and redwings  they are both good boots  ,   I  do concrete for my day job and boots rarely  last a year with me nomatter who makes them, but as long as they are comfortable ,  thats my 2 cents worth

jim
lt-40 wide ,fiat tractor,bobcat,international flatbed,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2015 f-350,and a oldwheel loader ,grapple system coming soon!!

Offline Woodboogah

• Share Post
    • Blue Ribbon Outdoors
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 11:06:40 AM »
I also rotate out my boots.  Have my "good" pair and my work pair.  I used to wear red wings but they didnt last more than 6-8 months.  There were really comfortable though.  The boots I am wearing now I am going on 18 months.  They are not waterproof anymore and the sole is starting to come off.  So the good pair becomes the work pair Monday.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Offline mad murdock

• Senior Member x2
  • The woods is the best "office"!
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 11:27:43 AM »
I have the "red dawgs" that baileys sells.  Have had them resoled once. They are very comfortable. I think Wesco makes them for baileys. Good boots at a decent price. Of course you can't go wrong with a pair of whites or hawthorns shut they are more $$. No substitute for good boots in the woods, IMO it is a safety issue as much as a comfort issue.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 11:43:29 AM »
Woodboogah,not to be mean to your wife,but have her follow you around for one day with whatever foot wear she wants to wear that day. She will change her mind I bet about half way through the day.  :D  Boots are high,but what isn't?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline Autocar

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 11:47:02 AM »
Wescos are hard to beat I wore 16 inch for years but have went to Huffman with caulked bottoms. On my way from the job or on weekends I ware Justins there all good shoes and yes my wife says the same thing about the cost but then again I don't wear flip flops  ;D
Bill

Offline pappy19

• Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 12:17:59 PM »
White's are the mainstay of western loggers/foresters and have been for 50 years. Expensive but re-buildable and last a very long time. Main thing that fails on most other boots is the heals from side hills. None stronger than the heals on White's, IMHO.

http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29868
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Offline ttwitchell12

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 12:23:08 PM »
I have worn Chippewa super loggers in the wood or years. I wear my boots every day. they have good tread, are warm in the winter and surprisingly cool in the summer I can get about 2 years before the are falling apart.

Offline ryguy777

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 12:28:08 PM »
red wings last about 2 years before they start falling apart and thats with everyday wear. I like them. more comfortable than anything else ive owned

Offline ashes

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
I wear Danner super rainforest boots.

They have been a great pair for me and the are very comfortable. The only complaint is they aren't corked and the cobbler around here won't cork them.

Other than that they are gore-tex and have remained waterproof for over a year now. They are also made in the USA.

Offline 1270d

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 01:41:46 PM »
I'll add another opinion.  Try miendl boots.  The most comfortable footwear I've ever worn.

Offline woodmills1

• Senior Member x2
  • the truth shall set you free
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 02:00:44 PM »
All red wing both work and play

I have all of the pairs of red wing boots I ever bought, only lost one pair of sneakers(red wing) to wearing out

One secrete is to rotate 2 pair of work boots on a daily basis, wear a pair today and a different one tomorrow.  This can triple the lenght of time before failure.  by the way red wings a repairable, and offer lifetime free stitching
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Offline lynde37avery

• machines from the 1970's making a living today
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 03:55:06 PM »
Georgia, Carolina are my two usuals. one pair every 8 or 9 months. bought 2 pair of tractor supply work boots. terrible for working in the woods with. got maybe 4 months a pair before they start getting real soft and falling apart. im fixin to get a pair of Danner boots. double the price of the others but I hear I can get one solid year out of a pair as I don't rotate footwear. its work boots for work/activity and sneakers for hangin out n mowing the lawn. im green at buying logging work stuff so I am still learning.
Detroit WHAT?

Offline Maine372

• Share Post
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 04:52:04 PM »
Ive logged and im now in tree work. anytime im on the ground I wear labonville loggerheels with Kevlar built in. they are a little stiffer than boots without protection but its worth it to me.

for wet and winter weather I wear Viking rubber boots with the Kevlar. again they are stiffer than boots without the protection, but they last a lot longer in abusive conditions like dead spruce limbs. buy them a little big and wear extra socks or boot liners.

Offline KBforester

• Forester
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2013, 07:26:31 PM »
I wear Danner super rainforest boots.

They have been a great pair for me and the are very comfortable. The only complaint is they aren't corked and the cobbler around here won't cork them.

Other than that they are gore-tex and have remained waterproof for over a year now. They are also made in the USA.

Me too
Trees are good.

Offline NHTDeez

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2013, 07:52:25 PM »
Woodboogah - Try Chappell tractor in Milford, NH that is where I got my last pair of boots.  They have a decent selection that you can try on there.  They also have a good sized showroom for saws and jacks, straps, pulleys, climbing spikes etc.. I love going there it's like Disney for us guys.

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • A&P Saw mill LLC
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 08:10:06 PM »
Woodboogah - Try Chappell tractor in Milford, NH that is where I got my last pair of boots.  They have a decent selection that you can try on there.  They also have a good sized showroom for saws and jacks, straps, pulleys, climbing spikes etc.. I love going there it's like Disney for us guys.

do they have cork boots
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Offline SAnVA

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 09:51:17 PM »
I wear Red Dawgs from Bailey's but would like to try a pair of Nick's from www.nicksboots.com---maybe one of these days if I live long enough!

Offline smwwoody

• Senior Member x2
  • Makeing round wood square
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 07:01:06 AM »
Woodboogh
Let me know what you find. I have been wearing Materhorns for 10 years now  it is time for a new pair and I haven't found a replacement yet

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
breaking in boots, work boots,

Started by drobertson on General Board

13 Replies
Last post December 02, 2013, 02:39:56 PM
by pappy19
xx
Boots

Started by husky2100 on Forestry and Logging

21 Replies
Last post March 14, 2014, 07:39:15 AM
by Stephen Alford