iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pole Saws

Started by 555JM, October 07, 2013, 06:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

Might be worth a look. How much?

Sure would be nice to get one that reaches 21. Handling would be the issue.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Ed

Stihl makes an angle adapter for their pole saws and Cannon males an angled bar.

http://cannonbar.com/chainsawbars/specialtybars.html

I bought one of the Stihl angle adapters for my HT75, doesn't really work well, the HT75 is down on power compared to the current offerings and the added gearbox doesn't help matters much.

Ed

555JM

There are a couple of Efco shops within driving range.  I may give them a call to see if they have one I can look at.  I  think the fixed length Efco would be too short for much of my work. 

Those extendable jobs, at least the Stihl and the Echo I looked at are heavy.  Can see that there'd be a handling problem with the saw dropping ahead of the cut-off limb and then the limb landing on the pole and bending it.

Leaning more towards the Echo PAS system.  They're lighter, the pole extensions would be cheap to replace, and, if this whole pole saw idea doesn't work, there are other tools the power head can be used with.  My Echo dealer said he had an Echo extendable pole saw for his own use and switched to the PAS pruner for easier handling and cheaper repairs.   

exSW

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on October 10, 2013, 11:44:51 PM
Might be worth a look. How much?

Sure would be nice to get one that reaches 21. Handling would be the issue.
I think the PTX2700 retails for around 650 the PT2700 500ish.There are some left over PT2500's floating aound that can be had for around 4 bills.As far as reach,no matter what you get it's always going to be 6" to short.Even at 6'5" and a pTX 2700 I still see myself standing on the flatbed dump trying to get just a little higher.
"well I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison"

mesquite buckeye

Too true, but in thinned, fast growing forest my branches start getting pretty fat around 20 feet, so too big to take away without making a rot point. If I could just get to 21, I would be content. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

terry f

I have a stihl 130 Kombi that I think is great, more power than it needs to run a 12 inch bar, and a quick change to whatever attachment you want. For what I do, I use it as a chainsaw more than my chainsaw, and it's easier  on the back.

Cut4fun

I like my echo 260 extendable 2 stroke pole saw. I wouldnt trade it for any 4mix type crap.   8)

deerslayer

I've been happy with my Stihl HT101. It's a bear to use fully extended but does jobs that would be difficult otherwise. I really like it for clearing roof lines (from the roof) or trimming brush away from homes from the ground. I even occasionally will use it in a tree to cut something off I don't dare to climb out to. It is an important component of my saw line up. I haven't had any issues with the shaft twisting but did turn a bar into a pretzel when I couldn't get the saw clear when topping a pine tree. Can't really blame that on the tool I guess, eh?
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

aldo

I have an extendable Echo PPT265 version and I find it great. I chose it over the Stihl a few years back due to marginally longer reach and one thing I thought to be a valuable addition was a well protected rear end. The tank area will always cop a knock and the Stihl model back when I purchased was not as well protected. The Echo units bar/chain adjustment is not super sturdy I reckon but I'm pretty fussy with maintenance so I'm not rough. My dad has the multi tool type system and they just don't have the reach for what I need.

I found a handy companion for my Echo is a manual Silky Hayate. I bought the petrol unit first, had I done it the other way I may have not purchased the Echo.

In terms of engine reliability I have most brands and I find they are all excellent when maintained well. About the only standout in terms of first pull starting is Tanaka. It's almost ridiculous.

annia

The pruner extension works great and cuts through branches up to 3 inches. You need to know how to prune, though. A bit more instruction for the beginner in the manual would not be so bad. The attachment is easy to "assemble" and attach. Can be swapped out to any other attachment easily. Due to the length of the pruner, the whole Echo machine gets a bit out of balance (top heavy) and if you work the trees you get a nice upper body and arm work out on top. Not for everyone probably.
Annia Palmer

Logger RK

I bought a black & decker 20 volt battery powered pole saw this summer. I'm impressed with it. I don't use it to much,mostly for logging roads so semi's don't hit low hanging branches. It does come apart into 3 pieces & fits on a 4 wheeler rack nicely.  It'll be handy for clearing shooting lanes for hunting. And it has the same battery as my weedwacker. I do have a old gas one that's not very dependable. When I'm looking for a good work out I use that one.

Thank You Sponsors!