iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

$500 slab of oak

Started by Tom L, October 15, 2013, 08:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L

couldn't believe that someone would pay this amount for a slab

at a store in allentown PA on sunday, they had a 5/4 oak slab in the back room. 25" wide x 6 ft long
planed both sides. yup they actually have customers that will pay $500 for this one slab. $34 per brd ft.

I have got to find people willing to spend that much cash for a piece of wood.

hard to believe, but they do sell them

Gasawyer

Tom yeah I need to find some people like that. Around here that might be $75 maybe. I have been getting $200 for 2"x36"x12' surfaced 2 sides.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

mmartone

I'm not that surprised, I know some of you guys think your going to run people off by charging a high price. In reality smart people know theres only one place you can get that kind of slab, off a saw mill, they also know if your going to charge them $75 that they stole it. We have sold a few pine slabs cut to size for mantles with corbels and charged $400 each for them, buyer didnt blink an eye. Dont be scared.
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

sealark37

All you have to do is locate the towns with the highest per capita income in your area of interest.  Find a high end craft or furniture store.  Make a deal to display one or two slabs in that store.  Attach a price that will make you proud.  Make sure that your email and phone number are available to the lookers.  Slab it, and they will come.  Regards, Clark

woodweasel

I like the ideal puttin a slab in a high in store! I'd have some  cedar,blackjack and pecan slabs need to move. I'm out of room :o ;D

Finn1903

$34 a BF maybe a little high, but I was at Lowes the other day and happened to walk by the red oak area.  A  S2S 4/4 x 12 x 6 had a price tag of $40.94 it, which was not a true 12" piece, but 3 4" sticks glued together. 
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

Ianab

$500 seems like a lot, but you can't go into a normal store and buy that. You may be able to go into a high end furniture store and buy a table made with a slab like that, but it WON'T be a cheap table.

Sure you can buy $200 of wood, and make a $1,000 (glued up) table. But if someone buys that $500 slab, they can make a $2,000 table out of it. Which is a better deal for the sawyer, AND the woodworker?

At the Fieldays the local Lucas guys usually slab up a big Rimu log into table slabs, and sell them from their stand for ~$1,000 each. They don't take many home with them.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Leigh Family Farm

The surprising thing to me is that the store is in Allentown, not that the price is $500. I would have thought that store would be in Devon or Villanova (very high income areas) or someplace closer to Philadelphia.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That does not surprise me one bit.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

kevin19343

Quote from: kilgrosh on October 15, 2013, 03:13:21 PM
The surprising thing to me is that the store is in Allentown, not that the price is $500. I would have thought that store would be in Devon or Villanova (very high income areas) or someplace closer to Philadelphia.

I grew up in Devon. As kids we would dream about some day becoming millionaires and moving North to Allentown with all those rich Allentownians with their Gulfstream jets, Grey Poupon mustard, and their $500 oak slabs......alas , I settled for Northern Chester County farm life.

Resolute

Check out Berkshire Products' prices for slabs in Western Mass.
Big bucks

http://www.berkproducts.com/index.php

Nomad

Quote from: Resolute on October 15, 2013, 06:12:37 PM
Check out Berkshire Products' prices for slabs in Western Mass.
Big bucks

http://www.berkproducts.com/index.php

I walked into their store once.  Touched one of their slabs and the price was so high it burned my hand.  Never went back.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Dave Shepard

If you were at Berkshire Products you were less than 20 minutes from me. $500.00 is barely enough to even think about buying a slab there. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

RayMO

I wonder how some nice solid 4 ft. plus water oak slabs would sell  ;D
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

Dave Shepard

Pretty well if you have Poston market them on commission.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

SOLD

beenthere

5% to the Forum   8)

;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

It makes one think a little,  if you saw it, store it, dry it (maybe, maybe not) , and look for craft shows, woodworking events, and the like, maybe list online in any of the available avenues, with pictures, just how fast this type of product might go, and then if the market gets flooded then what?   just a thought,     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

florida

Several years ago I read an article about an English Yew slab that was for sale for $90,000.00 American. As I recall it was maybe 12'  by 30 inches wide.

Not quite the same but still good prices here
http://www.urbanhardwoodrecovery.com/forsale.html

General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have never looked at the size of a slab to base my price.....rather the rarity of the character. :)

Brucer

Quote from: florida on October 15, 2013, 09:47:47 PM
Several years ago I read an article about an English Yew slab that was for sale for $90,000.00 American. As I recall it was maybe 12'  by 30 inches wide.

A local farmer was cutting down some WRC and in the process cut through a "vine" at the base of the tree. He showed it to Barb and she recognized it as Yew. It was 2" in diameter and had 50 rings :o.

I was asked to saw some 8" diameter by 8' long Yew that the owner had "salvaged from an old Logging operation on the coast" and had been carrying in his van for a couple of years. I refused (it's protected in BC and I was suspicious of his story). I tried counting the rings and went cross-eyed -- at least a couple of hundred.

So I'm not surprised that a piece of Yew that big was selling for a lot of money.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!