Old Franklin Skidder

Started by fudrockcity, October 19, 2013, 09:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fudrockcity

beenthere

fud
I see lots of pics in your gallery.

One of each prolly enough..  ;D

To put them in a post with some commentary, select the line below and click "Click here to add Photos to post" which will bring up your gallery. Select the tab "My Gallery" and your pic(s) will all show in your albums. Click on the pic you want in your post and it will enlarge. Then SCROLL down to where it gives a couple easy choices to put them in your post. Answer YES and the pic will be in your post.
Talk about the features of the pic and click on "Preview" to verify that is what you want. Then click "Post".

Should work.

I see you got it. Now click "Modify" to add some commentary ...  thanks
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fudrockcity

Interior of hub beyond top hat and ring gear

fudrockcity

Opposite side of hub showing the race and speedi-sleeve.  Just a word of caution speedi-sleeves are super sharp and can slice your brand new oil seal be sure that if it rests proud of he hub to take the edge off.  I know this now.

fudrockcity

Opposing sides of the top hat and ring gear.  Fit this on while you align your hub and new oil seal onto the spindle this will help keep the hub square.  An extra set of hands is helpful.

fudrockcity

Behind the spider.  Rockwell Pr61 are on the front of the machine the rears appear to be the same but are installed with an additional interior support bracket for the brass pins.

fudrockcity

Spindle and cone bearing all bolted up.  The second picture shows the ring that bolts to the exterior of the wheel seal.

Aerial view of these components all sandwiched together.  Notice the oil seal (still shiny) is still somewhat vulnerable to the elements. Keep that in mind when your boggin or charging over barbed wire fences.

fudrockcity

Last and final picture I promise...just an alternate view of the finished product.  I did this on all 4 wheels with new seals, bearings, and races...I've had some practice and I'm pretty good at it now...if anyone is considering this venture and has questions please feel free to contact me.  Later I put in a 1500 watt tank heater for this winter.  Currently working on the exhaust to spark arrestor.  Lower output on transfer leaks hopefully this indian summer will last long enough to inspire me to fix it.  Thanks for your time!

fudrockcity

In view of the fact that my old Franklin skidder isn't getting any younger I've been actively accumulating a collection of spare parts just in case I have a breakdown, which we all know will happen.  With all equipment, I have learned that having extra parts on hand is nearly priceless during component failure...which usually only occurs on Sundays, holidays, or after 5pm  so you can't order new parts the same day and its probably raining or snowing out and uphill both ways.  Recently I followed up on a vague listing that advertised "Timberjack parts."  Come to find out the parts that the seller was offering consisted of the entire drivetrain of a Franklin 120b.  I love old iron so I bought everything he had to sell.  I now have a spare Fuller 5a330 transmission with rebuilt guts, a Rockwell T76 transfer case, and two complete axle assemblies with matching gear ratio.  Later I learned the seller also had a nice looking Forestry Special mounted on an 8 lug rim so I of course fell in love with that too...fortunately the seller turned out to be a super nice guy and he graciously  gave me a package deal.  ...Now if I could only find a spare model 20 or model 30 winch.  I posted this little story only because I know a few of you old timers would appreciate my recent spare parts conquest ...and alas...no one else would!   

lopet

Thanks for posting your pictures. I am sure it will be helpful some day for somebody, as we already had several  threads about hub seal replacement.  It looks like you've  got it all figured out and did a nice job.  I have never used a speedy sleeve so far, excellent documentation. smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

tantoy

Quote from: fudrockcity on January 19, 2015, 08:39:00 PM

In view of the fact that my old Franklin skidder isn't getting any younger I've been actively accumulating a collection of spare parts just in case I have a breakdown, which we all know will happen.  With all equipment, I have learned that having extra parts on hand is nearly priceless during component failure...which usually only occurs on Sundays, holidays, or after 5pm  so you can't order new parts the same day and its probably raining or snowing out and uphill both ways.  Recently I followed up on a vague listing that advertised "Timberjack parts."  Come to find out the parts that the seller was offering consisted of the entire drivetrain of a Franklin 120b.  I love old iron so I bought everything he had to sell.  I now have a spare Fuller 5a330 transmission with rebuilt guts, a Rockwell T76 transfer case, and two complete axle assemblies with matching gear ratio.  Later I learned the seller also had a nice looking Forestry Special mounted on an 8 lug rim so I of course fell in love with that too...fortunately the seller turned out to be a super nice guy and he graciously  gave me a package deal.  ...Now if I could only find a spare model 20 or model 30 winch.  I posted this little story only because I know a few of you old timers would appreciate my recent spare parts conquest ...and alas...no one else would!

Nice! I need a pile like that for my 20. Good score smiley_thumbsup
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

fudrockcity

Hello, since my last posting I have made good use of my spare parts supply, and I've pulled some wood out too.  I have recently eclipsed the third year of owning my old skidder and I've repaired most of what's been ailing her...so it only seemed right to fancy her up with a fresh coat of paint.  I've attached some before and after pictures.

47sawdust

Wow ! I just read this from start to finish for the 2nd time.Great job,good thing your not afraid to tear into it.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

All done now? That does look good!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tantoy

Awesome! wow new rubber looks nice.
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

logman81

Precision Firewood & Logging

bushmechanic

If those planetary pins are leaking oil then most likely the cover is worn and the press fit of the pins is too loose. New pins won't fix the leaks. Great restoration project even if you didn't plan on it.

skiddered

Wow looks amazing. Is there any way you would share where you were able to find parts. We are running a Prentice/Franklin 120 and having a real hard time finding even salvage parts.
Thanks!!

OldFrank77

I recently started working a Franklin 120B identical to the one in this post......the machine has been in the family for years but it's my first time using it.........just cutting popple on the home farm occasionally. I'm wondering what fluids to use in the transmission and transfer case and also what type hydraulic fluid to use........thanks.

thecfarm

skiddered and OldFrank77 welcome to the forum.
I do enjoy action pictures of anything hauling wood. ;D

These threads will keep you busy.

http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=80957.0

http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=13313.0
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

~Ron

sandersen

Sweet!!  Well done and well worth it too. 
"Make every step count."

Thank You Sponsors!