iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Stihl to restore?

Started by kmorgan, November 03, 2013, 11:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmorgan

I am looking for a winter project and new to chainsaws. I love Stihl as the grandfather had one. I am looking for a good working saw to process wood. What are good suggestion;s for one that will fit the bill. I am not looking for a new saw as I would rather have an older one and make it better than it was new. Like I said I am new so please refrain from bashing please. I also wanted to say I am not trying to be cheap, I just feel going to the saw shop and buying a new saw is not for me. I love bringing life into something that had little.

Cedar Savage

044 is a great saw, easy to work on, & you can pick them up on ebay sometimes, fairly cheap, lots of parts are available there too. 046 is pretty much the same saw, just a few more cc's.
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

Ianab

An 036 would be another decent option.

Make a good firewood saw and it's a common enough model that parts are easy enough to get. New, used or even after-market.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ReggieT

Hey guys, how about an 076 Super?...are the parts plentiful & the rebuilds fairly easy?...I saw 2 of them on Craigslist for $300 OBO...one still runs and cuts and the other is a goner...scored something or other he says.

My Stihl Shop Guru is chomping @ the bits to work on em...if I buy them...hmm...wonder why is he so excited??? :-\

Any advice would be welcomed
Thanks
Reg

tlandrum

find yourself an 028 or 038 to clean up  and be able to get some good use out of.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

shootingarts

Don't know where you are at but there is a running 028 for sale on Craigslist for $125 in Waveland Mississippi. Been for sale awhile, nobody jumping on it. That seems to give some indication of a price you can get these old saws for. There is an all white Stihl mystery powerhead for sale in Alexandria Louisiana for $25 too. That is probably just junk but gives some idea. You should be able to find an old saw or two of a common model for two hundred or less. Check your local classifieds and Craigslist.

Hu

Ianab

QuoteHey guys, how about an 076 Super?

That's a beast, 111 cc of arm stretching power  :D

I wouldn't buy one as a firewood saw, they weigh a ton and don't have a chain brake. Being so large they are not a common model in most places, but I'd guess you could still source most parts if needed.

Now if you wanted to get into some Chainsaw milling, where the thing was bolted to a rail, the weight and lack of chain brake isn't an issue and it would make a great milling saw.

The 50-70cc machines that the guys are talking about is probably what you want. It you are going to use it regularly get something modern enough to have a chain brake. Also, the more common saws tend to be the better models, and having a lot of them around makes parts easier to get.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ReggieT

Thanks....great info!
I was already super creeped out by the innuendos, jargon and general location of where I was gonna have to go, to even see these saws!! :o

This guy actually grunted and snorted more than he really talked. It was most unnerving to say the least....That's ok...I"ll take a zero on this test! smiley_curtain_peek

I'M OUT!

ZeroJunk

I had a like new 076 Super about a year ago. That thing hurt me just picking it up. An 028, especially the Super, is a nice saw. I always keep an 026 and an 036 around. At 52 I doubt compression release would make much difference to you, so Pro or not shouldn't matter. If you can find one of those that is in good shape physically but been straight gassed or something you can rebuild them pretty cheaply if you don't mind aftermarket cylinder kits or pistons. And, I suspect you would enjoy doing it.

sharkey

Quote from: kmorgan on November 03, 2013, 11:08:26 PM
I am looking for a winter project and new to chainsaws. I love Stihl as the grandfather had one. I am looking for a good working saw to process wood. What are good suggestion;s for one that will fit the bill. I am not looking for a new saw as I would rather have an older one and make it better than it was new. Like I said I am new so please refrain from bashing please. I also wanted to say I am not trying to be cheap, I just feel going to the saw shop and buying a new saw is not for me. I love bringing life into something that had little.

Why dont you scope out your local dealers.  Explain to the saw mechanic's what you want to do.  Im sure they will help you and your going to have to get to know them sooner or later for parts.   

JC360

I just picked up an 038 super at a yard sale for 130.00 , the chain was pretty well gone but it had a brand spanking new 20" ES bar on it. I was totally impressed with it, a new loop of full chisel chain and it rips! You don't have to spend alot, keep your eyes open and be patient !
Good luck!

motard

Quote from: Cedar Savage on November 04, 2013, 12:07:45 AM
044 is a great saw, easy to work on, & you can pick them up on ebay sometimes, fairly cheap, lots of parts are available there too. 046 is pretty much the same saw, just a few more cc's.

Well, you did ask "best Stihl to restore?"

Why my pick would be the 10 cube 090.

mmartone

Hey Reggie, please get me the contact info on those 076 saws please?
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

ReggieT

Quote from: mmartone on November 04, 2013, 04:55:54 PM
Hey Reggie, please get me the contact info on those 076 saws please?
Sent you a pm a couple of hours ago... :)

Al_Smith

Quote from: motard on November 04, 2013, 10:38:14 AM

Well, you did ask "best Stihl to restore?"

Why my pick would be the 10 cube 090.
You'd have to find one first .There were never many in the first place .Legend has it A.Stihls grandson was into go kart racing and McCulloch dominated  the field .So the old boy commissioned his engineers to design the big engine.I think the number might be less than 10 accounted for .

kmorgan

Thanks for all the suggestion, I am now on the look out for a stihl to restore. I have a few in mind thanks to the suggestion. I guess it depends on what I fine first that I feel will be my next saw.

Cedar Savage

"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

H 2 H

Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

Maine372

038mag. 53mm bore. chainbrake for saftey. balanced like a modern saw. it will still keep up with modern saws of similar displacement.

kmorgan

Just found a 031 av electric 24 inch bar with case in like new condition for 150. I think I am jumping on it. If I do then I will have to just restore my old 041 farm boss

H 2 H

Quote from: kmorgan on November 05, 2013, 08:59:56 PM
Just found a 031 av electric 24 inch bar with case in like new condition for 150. I think I am jumping on it. If I do then I will have to just restore my old 041 farm boss

Here is mine

Brian

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

Cedar Savage

H 2 H

Brian

jhellwig

I think an 048 would be a good rare duck to restore.  Not a lot of them around.
Murphy's Law is a pain in my butt.

Al_Smith

Quote from: Maine372 on November 05, 2013, 08:34:00 PM
038mag. 53mm bore. chainbrake for saftey. balanced like a modern saw. it will still keep up with modern saws of similar displacement.
52 mm bore to be exact . ;)AV was 48,super 50, mag 52 .

As far as the 048's kind of tough to find parts for as well as are the 42's .They are in fact designed exactly like the 38 series .I have two 048s' and 1 and a half 042's meaning the bones of one are basically parts .

Thank You Sponsors!