iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frame is up

Started by Dan Miller, November 06, 2013, 06:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Miller

I've been working on this one far too long, but as of today, the main frame is up for my 16' by 32' workshop:

IMAGE REMOVED BY ADMIN. IMAGES MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY. PLEASE UPLOAD YOUR PHOTO TO YOUR GALLERY AND REPLACE THIS NOTICE WITH THE PHOTO.

We raised it over the course of three days. Here is a time-lapse of day one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E25iZzFfJ7k

WmFritz

Very nice project, Dan. I look forward to see your progress.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thecfarm

Got day 2 and 3 too?  ;D I like the arc on the roof. I bet that took some time to do. And figure out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

Very nice Dan!

You've moved the epicenter of cruck framing slightly NNW of Berkshire County. :D I'll have to build one now to pull it back. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chilterns

Hi Dan,

Please accept my congratulations on the raising of your timber-frame.

The correct term that should be used to describe this type of building is "raised cruck".

I met Nat Alcock in Oxford this week where he gave a talk on his 25 years of research into cruck frames and you may be interested to know that the various outcomes from same have recently been published in a new book "The Medieval Peasant House in Midland England" (ISBN 978-1-84217-506-4). This is available in the USA via David Brown publishers. You might also be interested to check out the many threads on the Oxfordshire Woodland Group web forum at http://oxfordshirewoodlandgroup.co.uk/forum/?mingleforumaction=viewforum&f=22.0 featuring the construction of a 3 bay cruck frame at Harcourt Arboretum this summer.

Welcome to the cruck club.

Chilterns

Dave Shepard

Thanks for that link Chilterns, that sounds like a great book.

I have heard that style of cruck called an Upper Cruck.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Chilterns

Hi Dave,

"Upper Cruck" would be fine as a description.

I failed to observe in Dan's photo above that he has also employed a lattice ridge assembly and this I believe is very French in approach. I have only ever seen one other lattice ridge which was used in combination with very tall slim king posts on a new building constructed at The Musee de Metier, near Pont Leveque in Northern France.

I also failed to previously mention that Nat Alcock's new book comes with a CDROM that contains over 145 building recording reports that include many drawings and details of cruck houses not able to be fully included in the book. The study area includes Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Leicestershire, Warwickshire, Gloucestershire, Nottinghamshire & Rutland.

Chilterns

Satamax

Dan Miller, as we say in france, "chapeau bas"

Chilterns, what you call latice, in france is called liens en croix de saint andré (saint andrews cross links) And is fairly usual over here. I've worked on an old modified house few years back, where they raised the plate this way on one side of the house, so the hay loft was vented.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

D L Bahler

Very nice frame. Good work.

What is the reason for the so-called 'Lattice' under the ridge? It reminds me very much of the double ridge (First und Unterfirst or Chatzboum) framework used on very old farmhouses in Switzerland, the purpose if this was to stiffen and brace the roof framework

D L Bahler

Also there is a roof support used that looks very much like the raised cruck you have here, though the equivalent of the cruck blades <<scherboum>> are not curved, and there are no purlins to support the middle of the rafters.

Dave Shepard

The lattice is used to brace the ridge.

D L Bahler

Thank you for the reply, that is what I had suspected.

That is similar to how it was used on the old buildings in Bern. The newer ones have no structural ridge, and instead the rafters are braced to do the same thing.

So:

Also you see here if you look close enough the structure that I am saying is like the raised cruck, where the support post has been omitted and replaced by two angled supports.

Chilterns

Hi Dan,

I have now managed to obtain copies of the Barrel Vaulted Roof at The Museé de Metier which show the "liens en croix de saint andré" (saltire lattice) ridge assembly. (saltire = cross of St Andrew).

This is quite a clever device which is presumeably used to stiffen the ridge to help resist movement of the common rafters couple assemblies. This is a church or monastic type of roof where the entire roof structure apart from the king posts and tie beams are intended to be covered with a plaster of Paris ceiling hence the need to limit movement of the timbers.

A close up of the Saltire Lattice Ridge reveals the bracing which will never generally be seen by the people using the building.

Please let us see Part 2 & 3 of your raising video.

Chilterns

Dan Miller

Thanks, all, for the comments -

My son hasn't "developed" the second day's action yet - something about having a lot of school work (he's a junior at Clarkson). Soon as I get it I'll post it here. He wasn't around for the third day, but my wife shot some video with her iPad which we need to work up as well.

Jack Sobon designed the building for me. I gave him basic parameters and asked him to make it interesting - someplace to spend a lot of time, and perhaps to show prospective clients. He suggest as this area of upstate New York had a number of French settlements that we do a French-style frame.

As others have mentioned, the ridge truss is to counteract wind thrust against the gable ends.

Hoping to finish laying on the rafters today, then hoping for some sun to get the glamor shots before closing in.

Dan

Dan Miller

Raising my head above the snow briefly...

A lot of progress has been made since this thread was started, and moving-in day just happened!
        Personal Message (Offline)

Frame is up
« on: November 06, 2013, 06:39:46 pm »

Modify
    Remove
    Split Topic

I've been working on this one far too long, but as of today, the main frame is up for my 16' by 32' workshop:

It is short notice, but anyone within a day trip of the Thousand Islands(NY, 15 miles from TI Bridge, 1.5 hours north of Syracuse) is welcome to join us this Saturday (December 20, 2014) for an open house/solstice celebration. Email me at dan@dragonflycanoe.com for details.

Dave Shepard

Wow! That looks like a very nice, cozy place to build boats, especially in your neck of the woods. Do you measure snow in feet, or yards up there? :D The section behind you has some French crossed braces upstairs, if I remember correctly?

danreed76

:o WOW!  That looks awesome, Dan.  Well done!  I was impressed with the frame, but the finished product is over the top.
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

brendonv

Thats gorgeous. Id up and leave my place for a spot like that in the woods.

Propane fireplace!
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Dave Shepard

You'd have to move it to the woods, Dan's lot is in town. :D He showed me the plans in 2011. Very neat building. 8)

Piston

:o :o :o

That is gorgeous Dan!  Congratulations! 

I'd love to see some more pictures if you get a chance to post some.  Looks like this "Jack Sobon" character you speak of knows something about timber framing.  ;D

Did you have much experience in timber framing before this project?  It looks great from the pics.
-Matt
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

BCsaw

Great Job!!

I hope you are proud. Will be a great feeling to walk in there to hang out! ;D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

grweldon

Looks gorgeous! Do you have any more pics during construction?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodworker9

Congratulations!  This is inspirational to me, as I'm in the beginning phases of planning to build our next home and workshop.

You must be very proud.  The interior finish is just awesome.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Heartwood

Thank You Sponsors!