iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 029 Problems again

Started by luvmexfood, November 13, 2013, 08:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvmexfood

Okay. Last month I replaced  the Carb on my 029 and it was running fine. This morning I topped off with gas and cut a fairly large popular. After almost a full tank of fuel it died. Checked and had just a small amount so i refueled, turned the saw upside down to try and adjust oiler up just a little since it was so cold. Saw would not start. Have wet plug, good spark, tried different plug that was one that I replaced last month. Brought in to shop and checked muffler screen and went ahead and looked into cylinder. Looked same as it did last month. While I had the muffler off I gently pulled starter rope. Did notice some fiss and gas leaking down beside piston after it went up past the exhaust port.

Reassembled, still nothing. Just so happened an auto mechanic, and a good one, came by the shop on his way to hunt on the farm. He took it home with him tonight to check out.

Here is my question. I think it may be time to start looking seriously about replaceing. Local dealers are Stihl - Husqvarna and Echo. Looking for a saw that would handle a  minimum of 20 inch bar and would like the option of a 24 inch. I like the ideal of the carb being self adjusting. Lighter weight also a plus and if my existing 18 Stihl bar and.325 chains will fit but not a major problem if they don't.

No logs hitting the ground = a slim check from the logyard at the end of the week. Any recommendation. I only can get dial-up internet so the company web sites of slow to look at. Their is one domlar dealer that is about 2 hour round trip from me.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

qbilder

Sounds like the ms441 would be a good fit for you.
God bless our troops

sharkey

One good deal right now is on the Echo cs-590 Timberwolf saw.  Its the same as the 600p except they substitute the 20 inch power match bar with a 20 inch double guard bar.  They also put a standard sprocket on it.  $459 at your local dealer.  Its not an auto tune but the price is right and there is a decent warranty on it too.  Will handle a 24 inch bar and uses 3/8 chain.   
http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/CS-590-Timber-Wolf

AdkStihl

Something in the 70cc class range, but don't rule out a Husqvarn 562XP.....they are cutting lil sumbeotchs
J.Miller Photography

luvmexfood

Well the auto machanic got it running last night after he got through hunting and ran a wrecker call. Picked it up this morning. No charge. That is why he is one of five that has permission to hunt here. Great guy and an excellent mechanic. Still a few good people left in this world but going to start shopping for a new saw and use the old Stihl as a back-up. Also have a small Stihl MS 170 I use for limbing sometimes and other small jobs. Just not big enough to tackle big trees but for it size it does good.

Cut a BIG wild cherry today. 32" inches on the small end of the first log. Fell just a little off from where I was trying to land it. Wouldn't you know right smack dab in the middle of a briar patch.

AKDoug

So, what was wrong with it?  Sounded like it was flooded to me.

luvmexfood

It was severly flooded and I had put in a new plug at the sametime as the carb. The new plug would show fire when out of the saw but would not in the saw. He told me this may be the problem when he took the saw. Anyway I gave him the old plug when he took the saw and he installed it and saw is running now.

Dad got to know him and let him come down and hunt. He would always do dad's mechanic work and after dad passed I let him continue. One day at a small country store/deli that used to be near by he was 5 bucks short on his order so I paid it. He never forgets the favor so I try to do the same for him.

Andyshine77

How do you start the saw? Should be. Choke until you hear a pop or feel the saw stumble, than high idle until she runs. If you keep pulling with the choke on you'll flood it every time. The carb may need to be tuned as well, an auto mechanic likely won't have a clue how to do this. You are using fresh fuel?

The metering needle in the carb could also be sticking open, this will cause fuel to just pour into the crankcase. If so a carb rebuild is in order. Simple to do and cheap.
Andre.

AKDoug

Here is my method of clearing out a flooded saw. I get them in all the time and I don't usually charge for this if the customer helps me. I pull the  spark plug, turn the saw upside down and pull the cord (pumping out fuel in the cylinder) and then rotate the piston until it's bottomed out. I take my air compressor and blow out the cylinder really well. Then I install a good dry spark plug. One guy holds the saw at full throttle and NO CHOKE, the other guy pulls until it lights.  It works every time.

Thank You Sponsors!