Sponsors:

Bad Day

Started by Maine logger88, November 18, 2013, 07:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine logger88

My 540b with a broken front axle

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lynde37avery

welcome to the wheel problem club. whats that gonna cost to fix? over $1500?
Detroit WHAT?

Maine logger88

Maine logger88

Yeh probly around 3000 I have 1000 in seals bearings break pads and a stub shaft looking at another 1800 for the center housing outer housing and a set of planetarys

Maine logger88

The little 225 did a good job pulling it out

ga jones

I know it's a long way but there's a John deere junk yard In Northern pa. They have 540s
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

redneck

there is a fella just outside Bangor Maine in Levant, that has tons of john deer used parts.  He has some adds on craigs list Maine. 
here is his number
(phone number removed by admin.)
208 timberjack 353 detroit, case 580 super K backhoe, homemade bandmill, 357xp, 372xpg

Maine logger88

Yeh depending on what I can find around here pa may not be to far anything to get going again I have a line on a set I will have to c if that works out. I forgot all about Kevin I bought a winch control valve off him like four years ago thanks for the reminder I'll try him if this other deal falls through

Dave Shepard

That's tough luck. Is that common? We had a logger here in '93 with a 540. The front axle had to be rebuilt, but the housing didn't break.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Maine logger88

I don't believe it is very common there are quite a few people who have the same machine and the the mechanics and parts guys have never heard of it happening of course some people can break an anvil haha but then again I try not to pound on the old girl too hard and was just pulling ahead to winch a twich up to me when it broke just a freak thing I guess.

JohnM

That's tough luck, ML88.  That pic would make a heck of an avatar pic though. ;) ;D  Hope you get it back in the woods asap.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

treeslayer2003

sorry for yer bad luck but at least ya got another to use. i'v seen the outer axle break off but never seen one break there.

treeslayer2003

looks like the big axle? I wish mine had a blade like yers.

Maine logger88

Yeh I suppose it would make a good avatar haha bout the only good thing that and a good story I suppose. Treeslayer yeh definitely good to have the second machine a bunch of loggers around said I was foolish to buy it but when both of them are working it allows me to work two jobs at once keeping landowners happy which is why I bought the 225 and it sure saved my tail in this case. What do you have for a machine

Decked

I busted one on my 540A..but never on the 540D... :-\

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Maine logger88 on November 18, 2013, 10:22:13 PM
Yeh I suppose it would make a good avatar haha bout the only good thing that and a good story I suppose. Treeslayer yeh definitely good to have the second machine a bunch of loggers around said I was foolish to buy it but when both of them are working it allows me to work two jobs at once keeping landowners happy which is why I bought the 225 and it sure saved my tail in this case. What do you have for a machine
540B grapple with the heavy axles, 666 clark, 664 clark, IH s8b. lol yep, it pays to be able to put machines on a job.

Maine logger88

Yeh I believe mine are the big ax not positive on that tho sounds like you have a nice bunch of machine I've run all said skidders except the IH never ran one of those heard they are a good one my grandfather had a s7 that I can remember going with mom too watch dad run when I was like 5 which is probably a big reason I'm a logger today I just remember thinking how cool logging looked and how awesome my dad was,we were just talking about that little skidder I guess my grandfather got sick of putting hough planataries in it and got the small Rockwell rears out of a franklin and fabed them up they still broke a few tho

BargeMonkey

Shaefers in wolf creek IL has a pile of 540B's for parts, you could probably get an axle for 1500.  Golden rule or wengers may also have an axle. I saw a choker hook catch onto a rear tire chain once, on a 540D which was flat out across a field, had similar results.

Autocar

Having that second machine sure saved the day for you. Gives me the shivers just thinking how I would ever get mine out of the woods [ C-7 Treefarmer Grapple ] Ive never see any brake like that any idea what would cause it ? I would say things can't get much worse but then again we know better  :D.
Bill

Maine logger88

I just talked to the guy that has the parts I need there supposed to be ready next week but I've heard that before I found some that I could get anytime but for twice the money so seems how I have the other machine I can wait for the cheaper ones if it doesn't work out then I will try some of the places you guys have told me about I appreciate the info on different places. Yeh you would need a big machine to get a c7 out for sure I have no ideas how it could have happened some say its from standing it up and slamming it back down but I've had it for 5 years and have never just let it slam I always push the clutch and hold the break at the same time and you can let it down easy and even this hasn't happened much it takes a lot to stand it up

Maine logger88

I said things can't get any worse before never do that again and as my father has always said Murphys law is twice as bad in the woods. But even still I couldn't picture myself doing anything else!

Kemper

Wolfe lake or Schafer Enterprises will have what ever you need.

Quote from: BargeMonkey on November 19, 2013, 06:48:30 AM
Shaefers in wolf creek IL has a pile of 540B's for parts, you could probably get an axle for 1500.  Golden rule or wengers may also have an axle. I saw a choker hook catch onto a rear tire chain once, on a 540D which was flat out across a field, had similar results.

Maine logger88

I wonder what it would cost too get parts shipped to me

ga jones

How far up in Maine are u.i have friends that have cabins in Bingham. 8 hours from here. probably 10 to golden rule. Edd Kurtz is 7 maybe. I was at golden rule last year there were guys there picking up a snubber for a 648 from Maine.long ride worth the price maybe? I have noticed that the prices for new parts seem to be higher in maine.   Don't know why. Availability maybe. Shipping? Aftermarket parts inc. make a lot of the forestry parts we buy. there in North Carolina.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Thank You Sponsors!