iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New guy in NH

Started by dustyjay, November 21, 2013, 01:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustyjay

Thanks for all the good information I've found here. I found this spot when looking for more info on setting up my Foley M14. It turns out that that was so easy I was definitely over thinking it. I've got the saw running for the first time in 5 years and it's cutting beautiful square timbers and boards. Now I'm reading all I can find on the timber frame topic. It is a good way to pass the dark hours of the evenings up here in NH. I can't wait for snow to make harvesting easier. In the mean time I need to finish the 24X48' shed over my mill and cut through my backstock of logs.

I'm a hobby logger, miller, and framer. I harvest logs with Stihl saw and a team of belgian/morgan horses. I mill on a foley bellsaw M14 I bought from my 84 year old neighbor and just got running again last weekend. I have built several small frames and hope eventually to build my own house, framed, then wrapped w/ 2X6 stud walls, blown cellulose, and SIP roofing. I've not yet turned 30 (though it's getting close) so I think I've got some time for this. 

I'll try to attach some pictures.
Thanks again for all the info and entertainment.

Proper prior planning prevents pith poor performance

Planman1954

Wow! A man next to my own heart! Self sufficient, and not afraid to work hard. Reminds me of me when I was 30! :D
Keep it up...and get about working on that house! I'm proud of you.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Autocar

Very nice keep up the good work,your go a long way in your life  ;).
Bill

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum
Good on the pics.  8)
And are you showing two different sawmills, or the same mill?

I like the scene with the team bringing in a whack 'o logs. Gives one a good, cozy feeling of having fun (some sweat too).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Hello dustyjay.  Congrats on the sawmill and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Shotgun

Welcome, Dusty.  Good job on the pictures.  Some folks have been around here for many months and still haven't figured out how to post pictures.  And yet, some folks do it on the first or second post.  I had an aunt that said, "If you can read, you can cook."  Posting pictures here is the same as that.  If you can read, you can post pictures on the Forestry Forum.  In your case, you just figured it out.  Or perhaps, you read the instructions that are available, but not readily available, I might add. As you found, it's really pretty easy.  Still, good job.

You'll like it here.  Glad you found us. Don't be bashful. Join in on the fun .

Norm

Traverse City, MI (Summers)
Spring Hill, FL  (Guess when)
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

thecfarm

dustyjay,welcome to the forum. Nice horses. What a way to make lumber.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tim L

Welcome fellow Granite Stater !
Do the best you can and don't look back

dustyjay

Thanks everybody for the welcome. It's good to find a local connection too- I count at least 2 other NH folks. I am in the SW corner of the state, between Keene and Lebanon.

The two pics I added are of the same mill. When I bought it I also had a purchase and sales agreement on the rest of the property (1828 farmhouse and 58 acres). When the husband died, not unexpectedly, the wife cancelled the whole deal, and Ihave had to work to move the sawmill, at expense I did not anticipate.  >:( In the end though it'll be worth it. I'll be working on that project today, in the rain.

I don't always use the horses to haul my logs. It's my prefered way but I also have a 50 HP Kubota tractor with a farmi winch, and access to two Kubota backhoes and a JD 350 dozer. I can generally get the job done. I've taken all levels of the Game of Logging course, and really enjoy directional felling and thinning operations on these successional forests. Where the mill now sits is often refered to as the "Perry pasture" and has many 14-18" pines on it now. ;)

Stay warm, and dry

dustyjay

Where are you other NH guys located?

thecfarm

Is that why you pictured a roof over the mill and than no roof because of the move? That was too bad. Sounds like you need a swing mill and you will just about have it all.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

I'm in Sanbornton , just off 93 ex 22.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

dboyt

Congratulations on the mill, and welcome to the forum!  I milled the lumber for our post & beam house back in the early 1980s, and we live in it still-- so it can be done.  Sounds like you're doing the right thing, getting the GOL training on the felling.  Be careful around that big blade, and don't take any shortcuts.  Looks like you've got a good start.  Nice looking pair of horses, too!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Woodboogah

Welcome!  I am in Southern, NH myself.  I have a job going on in Hollis right now. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

woodmills1

welcome
I am in hudson on the mass border east of nashua
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

loggah

I'm up in Campton with the same Belsaw!!,i sold my portable trailer mounted Belsaw this summer to a friend of mine, Those little Belsaws are good sawmills. I think there quite a few guys on here from the "GRANITE STATE !!! ;D ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Rick Alger

Hi Jay,
I'm in Milan, NH. I also use horses, and we have a Lane #1 circular saw.

nhlogga

Weleome to FF. I am over here in Farmington/Rochester area
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

dustyjay

I've been working like a dog and have almost gotten a roof over my mill since I first got onto this forum.

In the dark hours I've been working in Sketchup designing a house to build. Look for that soon, as I'm hoping to get advise from the very knowledgable folks here.

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
I see you've been busy.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

AnthonyW

It is good to see so many New Hampshire-ites on the site.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

woodandtractors

I'm in Plymouth,NH,not far from the geographical center of the state.
Mike
Still plays with tractors-IH of course!

Tim L

Do the best you can and don't look back

Thank You Sponsors!