iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cut to length harvesters

Started by Jenneville, November 21, 2013, 03:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northern Timber Harvesting

Cat 521 with a quadco 5660. pros- low maintenance cutting, handles any size wood, lots of power. cons-oil consumption for disc lubrication, there are a few weak spots on the head, that quadco seems to be working on improving. As far as the 521 i have nothing bad to say yet, just hit 1000 hrs. I had a 501 with the 4 roller, way too small for what I was trying to do. Also I didn't like the exposed hoses on the head, and there was some reliability issues.

Ken

I run an old 1997 Timberjack 608 with a 762 Waratah head.  Although the machine is far from new it does well when we can keep the mechanical/electrical gremlins at bay.  Yesterday I averaged nearly 100 trees/hr over a 6 hour period.  Small trees that average 15-20/cord were harvested from a road right of way.  The block was previously harvested in 1980 and pre-commercially thinned in 1983. 

We generally cut more softwood than hardwood.  I do not use the harvester for large ugly trees.  We cut them with a powersaw.   

Lots of toys for working in the bush

wannaergo

I don't think I've heard anything but good about the 501 until I started reading this thread. They have a really good reputation up where I am. They really amped up the roller speed and saw speed. I've talked to guys that cut 50-60 cords a day, no problem in a hardwood thinning.
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

Northern Timber Harvesting

Quote from: wannaergo on November 24, 2013, 10:41:42 AM
I don't think I've heard anything but good about the 501 until I started reading this thread. They have a really good reputation up where I am. They really amped up the roller speed and saw speed. I've talked to guys that cut 50-60 cords a day, no problem in a hardwood thinning.

Well hopefully your experiences  are good ones. I think what it comes down to with harvesters and heads, is application. I could see a 501 doing very well on smaller (less than 16") hardwood and flat ground.

Duhnis

Isn't the new Barko harvester  a Puma Machine.
Our CSA came from A company that sold Pumas and he thought they were .

Anyone know for sure?

Duhnis

snowstorm

Quote from: Duhnis on November 24, 2013, 05:16:57 PM

Anyone know for sure?

Duhnis  yes

ABTS

Puma was bought out by Barko and they redid the machine does not look alike at all .Hopefully will turn out better that the puma's

JLeBouton

Quote from: Duhnis on November 24, 2013, 05:16:57 PM

Anyone know for sure?

Duhnis

I know for sure, and the answer is No. The new Barko is not a Puma.

Kemper

Glad you are happy with it, that's really all that matters. Down here you won't find much cat logging equipment. We don't trust their equipment or engines, don't like loaders or trucks with Cat engines. We do like the cats when it comes to dozers and heavy equipment.

Quote from: wannaergo on November 24, 2013, 10:41:42 AM

deastman

Quote from: Northern Timber Harvesting on November 24, 2013, 08:23:22 AM
Cat 521 with a quadco 5660. pros- low maintenance cutting, handles any size wood, lots of power. cons-oil consumption for disc lubrication, there are a few weak spots on the head, that quadco seems to be working on improving. As far as the 521 i have nothing bad to say yet, just hit 1000 hrs. I had a 501 with the 4 roller, way too small for what I was trying to do. Also I didn't like the exposed hoses on the head, and there was some reliability issues.
My only con with my 130 with the Fabtek head is also what size wood it can handle. It does a great job for it's size but if I were to buy another one I would look for something a little heavier that had a Rolly II or the Quadco 5660. I've always had disk saw bunchers and a disk topping saw delimber so I would definitely go with a disk saw processor.
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

wannaergo

Today was the first full day cutting with the 501, and it went really well actually. With the learning curve, I still managed to get about 40 cords. We were lucky to get that with the old timco. One thing that did bother me though, was that I couldn't get the head around bigger trees. I think if they made it open a little wider, it'd be perfect. It also seems a little nose heavy too. That thing spits out wood though!  8)
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

Duhnis

Does anyone have any experience with the Waratah 624c head. I see that a few are fixed heads and with a 32" diameter  processing size it should be quite a weapon. 
  How well does this head delimb when  it reaches the top of the tree or on small wood 3-5", really curious.
Thanks,
Duhnis

Jamie_C

Starting on Dec. 9 i will be running a Tigercat 860 with a Target processing head. This combination is fairly popular up here and is considered almost bulletproof.

1270d

I hadn't heard of that head before so I had to look it up.  Looks simple and functional. And huge.

Ken

Quote from: Jamie_C on December 03, 2013, 06:04:37 PM
Starting on Dec. 9 i will be running a Tigercat 860 with a Target processing head. This combination is fairly popular up here and is considered almost bulletproof.

That is one large combination.  Brand new units or already broken in?
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Jamie_C

My machine will be already broken in, supposed to be a new one coming in January but I doubt I will get it as I will be at the bottom of the seniority list.

Jamie_C

Turns out i won't be running the Tigercat 860/Target combination, was talking to my supervisor today and he said they have a newer Tigercat 855 with a Waratah head that i could run if i wanted to instead of the older 860/Target combo. Since i much prefer to sit inside a nice comfy cab running the machine instead of being outside turning wrenches he made my decision easy.

I will be sure to post some pics of my new office early next week

1270d

Are you picking out of cold decks or following a buncher Jamie?  What kind of waratah and wood?

Jamie_C

Following a buncher, going to be mostly softwood. Not sure what size Waratah head it is, I will find out monday morning at 6:00am when I climb into the cab

1270d

Please show some vids of it cutting rough wood.
How come you went with the two roller design with this head vs your old 4 roller?  Patent or no compete clause, or is there some other advantage?
Is the Pettibone facility going to produce some of these machines or be some sort of a sales outlet/dealership?  Ithat would be a good area to have an dealership presence with fixed head equipment.
And finally will barko refine the puma forwarders, possibly produce an eight wheel model?

wannaergo

I'll second 1270d's comment. I'm curious how it does in nasty crooked crap. its definitely faster than my 501, so if barko does ok with reliability and parts availability, i think i know what my next harvester will be.. i'm also curious how it handles big wood.
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

Mainelogging94

Has anyone ever heard of people swapping a harvester head and digging bucket on a excavator set up for a processing head?

1270d

Try a Google search for "harvadig"

Mainelogging94

Thank You Sponsors!