iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Water Jacket Capacity

Started by lineguy82, November 21, 2013, 05:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lineguy82

How important is the water jacket capacity in a own? The reason I ask is because I'm looking at the differences between the Natures Comfort 325G and the Central Boiler cl 6048. it also looks like the Natures Comfort claims to heat more with less water capacity.
95 chevy 4x4
Husky 562xp
Hardy H5
22T Countyline Splitter
...and hopefully a sawmill when the wife finishes college

beenthere

QuoteHow important is the water jacket capacity in a own?

::)
OWB ? 

My indoor water "boiler" is 9 gal water jacket. Heats the house through the WI winters just fine.

Have to fire it accordingly, which likely isn't a plus if outdoors.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I bet my lines hold more than 9 gallons.  ;D
I have no idea for sure. Just like beenthere he gets along fine with 9 gallons. I forgot how much my Heatmor has,150 gallons?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Holmes

If you have 150 gallons at 180 degrees F you have a lot more heat stored in the boiler than having 100 gallons at 180 degrees F. If the starting temp for heating is 100*F , 150 gallons has about 99,000 btu's in it , 100 gallons has about 66,000 btus in it.  If your fire goes out it will take longer to use up the stored temp in 150 gallons.  Hope this helps.
Think like a farmer.

thecfarm

Quote from: beenthere on November 21, 2013, 06:39:18 PM

Have to fire it accordingly, which likely isn't a plus if outdoors.

Fire it? I suppose you mean filling it with wood?
I can fill my OWB full and if the temperature goes up to 60 than I would not have to fill it for a day. It would only burn whatever it needed to keep the set water temp

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cedar Savage

In a OWB.... more water = a longer cycle time
less water = shorter cycle
too long of a shut down cycle causes creasote
too short....not enough heat
match your OWB size to your house size for optimum burn cycles........
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

Corley5

My Heat Master SS holds 200 gallons. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

snowstorm

my taylor t 1000 holds 900 gallons

Thank You Sponsors!