iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back yard Saw Race. (Tips)

Started by Miller-Thinner2, November 23, 2013, 10:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miller-Thinner2

I'm sure the pros won't give any tips out and that's understandable.But I'm hoping some of you guys could help me to get my 266xp to cut faster.

A little back ground info on the saw race. It's just a few local guys none are pros and pretty much compete for bragging rights about 2-3 times a years. They cut 7x7 or 8x8 poplar. I have never had a saw to be able to compete with but now I have an old 266xp.

I am a complete rookie at this, So I have been reading about chains and I tried some of the techniques I will post a pic of the chain and hopefully someone will tell me if im doing it wrong or right lol should I run an 8 tooth sprocket or 7? I also have a video of my saw and a stock stihl cutting a log  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn_GcQuMoSY i geuss i dont have any idea how to add a pic lol

Little Al

Has your saw had it`s muffler modified? if not that would give you a bit more grunt + retuning of the carb

7sleeper

I would look for Stihl PS3 chain and a NK bar. PS3 is a 3/8 picco/hobby full chisel chain that is very popular on the 261 in my area. And would be like a mod all by itself.

Miller-Thinner2

I modded the muffler some.  i added a hole on the side and noticed no increase in power then i drilled the baffle on the inside and it woke it up a lot. I only put a 3/8 hole I'm not sure if I should of went smaller or bigger but I can weld the hole over if its to big.

Cut4fun

Dont go with PS or PS3 on a 4ci size saw.  Use full 3/8  square  stihl RSLK or Oregon CL for a little quicker work chain.
Test with 7-8 rims.  One might be faster in 1 cut like 8, but when you are doing change overs and 2-3 cuts the more forgiven one is the one I choose like a 7.  Like when you start pushing to hard in the heat of the moment in 2-3 cuts.
Muffler mod and carb tune.
If you want to  start getting crazy, woods port the cylinder.

Practice practice practice changeovers another place to cut big time off your cuts and listen to your motor and keep in the top rpm cutting.

http://youtu.be/26MwquYFUS8

The Ripper

Quote from: Miller-Thinner2 on November 24, 2013, 10:30:59 AM
I modded the muffler some.  i added a hole on the side and noticed no increase in power then i drilled the baffle on the inside and it woke it up a lot. I only put a 3/8 hole I'm not sure if I should of went smaller or bigger but I can weld the hole over if its to big.

Not much of a fan running the exhaust outlets out the sides,IMO the exhaust pulse doesn't pull as hard on the E-port  as running the outlets out the front or corners of the can. Might wanna try closing off the sides ports, trash that baffle and run two 3/8's or 3/4' or slightly bigger single tube 1 1/4"L. I 'm no 2cycle expert, just experimented what worked the best for my  work saw. Just make sure there's no protrusions in the can that could cause a resistance to flow,needs to be a smooth transition. 

7sleeper

Quote from: Cut4fun on November 24, 2013, 10:34:19 AM
Dont go with PS or PS3 on a 4ci size saw.  Use full 3/8  square  stihl RSLK or Oregon CL for a little quicker work chain.
Why not? I have read of guys using the picco/hobby chain on a mill with a 80-90cc saw. You can swap easily up one size rim with the narrower chain.

Cut4fun

Quote from: 7sleeper on November 24, 2013, 12:07:56 PM
Why not? I have read of guys using the picco/hobby chain on a mill with a 80-90cc saw. You can swap easily up one size rim with the narrower chain.

I have ran PS3 for 2 years and love it. I got PS this year and love it. For smaller saws and not for racing on bigger cc saws.
Go test a 65cc saw with PS3 or PS and then full 3/8 in RSC or RSLK for 1 cut testing in a 8x8 or 10x10 etc and get back with me.   ;)

7sleeper

Quote from: Cut4fun on November 24, 2013, 12:13:45 PM

I have ran PS3 for 2 years and love it. I got PS this year and love it. For smaller saws and not for racing on bigger cc saws.
Go test a 65cc saw with PS3 or PS and then full 3/8 in RSC or RSLK for 1 cut testing in a 8x8 or 10x10 etc and get back with me.   ;)
I don't do racing so I can't comment on results from racing. But if you say that regular 3/8 is faster I believe you.

sharkey

Quote from: The Ripper on November 24, 2013, 10:59:09 AM

Not much of a fan running the exhaust outlets out the sides,IMO the exhaust pulse doesn't pull as hard on the E-port  as running the outlets out the front or corners of the can. Might wanna try closing off the sides ports, trash that baffle and run two 3/8's or 3/4' or slightly bigger single tube 1 1/4"L. I 'm no 2cycle expert, just experimented what worked the best for my  work saw. Just make sure there's no protrusions in the can that could cause a resistance to flow,needs to be a smooth transition.

The reason a muffler has a flat front and a funnel back is to reflect the wave back into the cylinder.  When you put a big hole in the front you loose the wave, that is why the outlets are on the side. 

The Ripper

Quote from: sharkey on November 24, 2013, 03:38:23 PM
Quote from: The Ripper on November 24, 2013, 10:59:09 AM

The reason a muffler has a flat front and a funnel back is to reflect the wave back into the cylinder.  When you put a big hole in the front you loose the wave, that is why the outlets are on the side.

You don't lose the wave effect if you offset the exit from the port and the tube helps in enhancing the low pressure (vacuum pull) and a resistance( back pressure). I've done it both ways on my saw factory and offset pipe and I prefer the latter of the two cuz my engine seems to pull much harder up top. In the end it's how the engine responds.

jjw

Here's a MM i did on my 266xp last year, along with removing cylinder head gasket. Pipe 1" OD stainless .040 wall thickness.
It definitely woke it up.

tlandrum

I would bet that muffler woke up more than the saw. there is such a thing as too much. 
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

AdkStihl

Quote from: tlandrum on November 24, 2013, 07:51:27 PM
I would bet that muffler woke up more than the saw. there is such a thing as too much.

I thought the same thing when I saw that
J.Miller Photography

jjw

Quote from: tlandrum on November 24, 2013, 07:51:27 PM

Huh.......? didn't hear ya. LOL  it is a tad louder but I don't have neighbors and cut with hearing protection

HolmenTree

7 sleeper, the reason the milling guys use the picco chain on a 80-90cc saw is not to increase cutting speed, but to de-crease lumber waste with the narrower cut.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

Quote from: jjw on November 24, 2013, 04:50:06 PM
Here's a MM i did on my 266xp last year, along with removing cylinder head gasket. Pipe 1" OD stainless .040 wall thickness.

:D with that size outlet why even bother with the muffler :D

The Ripper

Quote from: jjw on November 24, 2013, 04:50:06 PM

"Can You Hear Me Now" ;D  welds look good.

ely

7sleeper

Quote from: HolmenTree on November 25, 2013, 01:00:54 AM

7 sleeper, the reason the milling guys use the picco chain on a 80-90cc saw is not to increase cutting speed, but to de-crease lumber waste with the narrower cut.
I understood that. What I thought was meant was that there was a risk of chain breaking with the larger saws.

Miller-Thinner2

I don't think the neighbors would be happy if I had a muffler mod like that when it come the time of year to cut up my firewood lol

ehp

use 3/8's chisel chain period , if your running round filed chain then stay with the 7 tooth as when it comes time to race your going to push harder than normal ,if running square grounded then maybe go to a 8 ,  next run the saw as flat as you can the fastest way threw a block is the shortest route and that helps keeping your switches smooth , next make sure your saw is not set to lean as you loose all your torque once in the cut

ladylake

, next make sure your saw is not set to lean as you loose all your torque once in the cut
[/quote]

That's a good tip , way too many think the faster it revs out of the cut  the faster it will cut, not true.. It takes fuel to make power and torque.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ehp

on some saws you need to set them richer than what the specs are to cut the fastest time with them, the husky 281/288 is one of those saws

HolmenTree

My advice for beginner back yard saw racers is first build yourself a good solid portable log stand. I built myself a pair of stands out of some scrap metal with weld on 4" strap cargo winchs.
Bolted down to a sheet of 3/4" plywood this setup works very well for round and square log in chainsaw , bowsaw, crosscut and axe cutting events. The 4" web strap is rated for 20,000 lbs and with a 3 ft winch bar tremendous gripping strength is holding the log. As the axe chopping pic shows with King of The Klondike champion Bruce Magyar, just a bore cut in the bottom of the log block holds it solid for him.
www.youtube.com/user/brucemagyar

First photo is from about 18 years ago of me running my Yamaha bikesaw wondering how I can make a better sawhorse. Following photos are progression in development of the stands over the years of my logger sports competition I organize and operate.
Last photo is what I have today with the same stands in my annual powersaw competiton, I'm on the microphone.

Thank You Sponsors!