iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Tuff Chainsaw Sharpener

Started by thecfarm, November 25, 2013, 11:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Yes,it's a cheap one,Tractor Supply for $40 on sale.

But it does work well. This is an all metal unit. I sell firewood to a guy from work that could not file a chainsaw by hand. We have talked about it,but he's never been able to grasp it. He bought this unit,then brought it to show me and showed me how to use it and left it here for me to try out. I am very impressed by it. A few things that someone needs to know about it. If I would of brought it,I doubt I would of figured all that out.

This is a picture of the two round pieces that kinda seat together. I say kinda because you have to real careful when you swap sides to make sure the pieces are lined up.

I made a little step to show what is not right.The 2 pieces needs to be nice and smooth all the way around,no step.
This is the one that I brought. I have not even used it yet. It needs to be mounted on a bench.
Yes,I know there are better ones out there,but some of us do not have the money to spend $100 and more on a sharpener.
I was VERY skeptical that this would do a good job AND that I would have to teach myself all over again. But he went through the growing pains on it and showed me what to do and not to do. The first chain I did I could notice a difference. Of course it did not help that I was a degree off on the angle too from my hand sharpening.
You can see the dog in the picture. I keep tension on the chain then tighten the set screw in to hold the tooth in place.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DeerMeadowFarm

thecfarm

I looked at the HF one the other day,same price,but made out of plastic.  ::)  The WHOLE thing is plastic.I guess you have to keep that one out of the hot sun. Might get kinda brittle too after a few years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

msjdgman

I inherited this Chinese built plastic unit from my dad.  I don`t even know how long he`d had it.  The thing does a pretty darned good job.

I use this Stihl 12 v unit for touch ups between machine sharpenings...usuall 2-3 times before I put it on the bench unit.

Stihl MS250, MS290, MS391
JD 80EV

thecfarm

Is the base made of plastic too? The part that is screwed to the brench.

msjdgman

Quote from: thecfarm on November 27, 2013, 12:02:17 PM
Is the base made of plastic too? The part that is screwed to the brench.

Yes, the entire unit, other than the motor and wheel, is plastic.
Stihl MS250, MS290, MS391
JD 80EV

thecfarm

I guess it works for you. As my cheap one does too.  :)

mmartone

Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Thank You Sponsors!